ASN: OTA vs Directv question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ejb1980

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Vermont
I am currently watching 2 different ASN games. How is this handled by markets with the ASN channel? I assume that the ASN channel airs one but do they do anything with the "other" game?

I just saw an ad for the ROH wrestling Iceberg has posted about. On SNY, which certainly doesn't air said ROH.

I am currently watching 2 different ASN games. How is this handled by markets with the ASN channel? I assume that the ASN channel airs one but do they do anything with the "other" game?
Are you talking about stations that have the ASN Network or just the affiliates?
I assume the network shows the best game. (They showed Duquenne on the "network") The affiliates can pick and choose what games they carry.
Here in Minneapolis I dont know the last time we had a non football or non hockey game on. last week we had the hockey game on Grit but 2 and 3 weeks ago it was on the main CW station (one was MN vs. Wisco and the other was NoDak vs. W Michigan)

I just saw an ad for the ROH wrestling Iceberg has posted about. On SNY, which certainly doesn't air said ROH.
I assume the RSN's just take the feed as is?
I know the games we get here (when they do show them) the commercials are as is from ASN and not the local affiliate.

Are you talking about stations that have the ASN Network or just the affiliates?
I assume the network shows the best game. (They showed Duquenne on the "network") The affiliates can pick and choose what games they carry.
Here in Minneapolis I dont know the last time we had a non football or non hockey game on. last week we had the hockey game on Grit but 2 and 3 weeks ago it was on the main CW station (one was MN vs. Wisco and the other was NoDak vs. W Michigan)

I assume the RSN's just take the feed as is?
I know the games we get here (when they do show them) the commercials are as is from ASN and not the local affiliate.

Yes I was talking about the "network" stations, like what you have. Like I have posted before, I have no OTA ASN affiliate but catch many games on the RSNs... Like Minneapolis, NESN shows very little. They have to be local (to southern New England usually but Vermont hockey did make it.)

I like knowing that every ASN game I get is HD on the RSN channels but I know I miss some things. There's really no way to know exactly what because the affiliates lists by ASN are so often wrong.

Reactions: Mr Tony
There's really no way to know exactly what because the affiliates lists by ASN are so often wrong.
so true.

Their "schedule" thing shows 2 D2 games and that is on TuffTV which we do not have. Selective TV in Alexandria, MN (about 150 miles from Minneapolis) has translators of the Mpls stations and a few unscrambled stations and TuffTV is one of them. Yet it shows when I put in a Minneapolis zip

I wish the hockey games we could get.

we have 2 more ASN games coming up and both are college hockey
The next 2 Saturday nights

Haven't had any other games since the last time I posted

I agree
We should have every hockey game they offer. I dont care about basketball.

Whats interesting is depending on the game its either on the main station (WUCW CW23) or Grit (the -3)

Omaha @ No Dak Saturday is on CW
Wisco @ Penn State on 3/4 is on Grit (23-3)
Colorado College @ St Clown on 3/5 is on CW23

Now like tonight there is a game (Merrimack @ Vermont). Why not give it to us?
Those hockey "hotbeds" :rolleyes: of El Paso, TX Lexington, KY and Little Rock, AR get it. Now there are some areas that have ASN so its automatic...but these examples are on Get, Grit affiliates

Now in Vermont....it should be on a local station. Not NESN PLus

I agree
We should have every hockey game they offer. I dont care about basketball.

Whats interesting is depending on the game its either on the main station (WUCW CW23) or Grit (the -3)

Omaha @ No Dak Saturday is on CW
Wisco @ Penn State on 3/4 is on Grit (23-3)
Colorado College @ St Clown on 3/5 is on CW23

Now like tonight there is a game (Merrimack @ Vermont). Why not give it to us?
Those hockey "hotbeds" :rolleyes: of El Paso, TX Lexington, KY and Little Rock, AR get it. Now there are some areas that have ASN so its automatic...but these examples are on Get, Grit affiliates

Now in Vermont....it should be on a local station. Not NESN PLus

I will believe that it's on NESN plus if I tune there at the start of the game and the Directv logo isn't there with blasting music. Most ASN broadcasts on NESN sound terrible, very staticy and 2.0 I always watch on MASN.

Reactions: Mr Tony
watching the St Cloud/Colorado College game on Saturday on local CW (WUCW23) they had a commercial for ROH on ASN (not Comet....but the American Sports Net) which we do not have here

side note...we got exactly ZERO basketball games this year locally from ASN. How are you suppose to grow the brand/network when you dont put the games on in areas?

watching the St Cloud/Colorado College game on Saturday on local CW (WUCW23) they had a commercial for ROH on ASN (not Comet....but the American Sports Net) which we do not have here

side note...we got exactly ZERO basketball games this year locally from ASN. How are you suppose to grow the brand/network when you dont put the games on in areas?

That is a shame. I have seen a lot of ASN content recently, must be for the tournaments obviously. Without baseball, MASN needs content and they have 2 feeds that Directv activates for ASN games. I am sure you've seen that ASN has listed MASN as the national feed in its propaganda schedules. I wounder if Sinclair would ever try to get the real ASN on Directv? There is a lot of content now on the RSNs, but there is a lot more that not seen. I have never seen an ASN game in SD on the RSNs (or when I lived in NC, always on My48 or MyRDC-28) but I wonder if the master ASN channel is HD since it's on all on subchannels now. Or - is that what the attempted purchase of the Tennis Channel is for?

Would Sinclair experiment and put the ASN channel on XX-1 in a market and put a big-4 on XX-2 to force satellite carriage in Sinclair markets?

The games are in HD as, while most of the affiliates that get the games put it on a SD channel, the RSN"s and some affiliates put it on the main station which would need it in HD.
Like I say some hockey games were carried on WUCW-CW23 here in Minneapolis. So they were in HD.

MASN and CSN Chicago (usually Plus feed) carried the games most of the year because what else they gonna carry in the winter?

Would Sinclair experiment and put the ASN channel on XX-1 in a market and put a big-4 on XX-2 to force satellite carriage in Sinclair markets?
Highly doubt it. That would require the Big 4 to probably be in SD and lets hypothetically say they did move ASN to a -1 in somewhere like Milwaukee where they own 2 stations it would only be on satellite in Milwaukee. (not nationwide)

I know I'm just pissing in the wind but again there is hockey (Hockey East) on ASN tonight.....and do we get it here in Minnesota?
NO!!

But of course..these hockey "hotbeds" get it....and not on the 24/7 ASN....but a subchannel pre-empting regular programming!

Charleston, WV (GetTV)
El Paso, TX (Comet).....ARE YOU SERIOUS????
Beaumont, TX (Bounce)...REALLY???

Attachments

• ASNclearances.pdf
    249.4 KB · Views: 169

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts