Aspect Ratios On Voom STB

visigoth

Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
...wondering about aspect ratios and 4 Voom box signals (480i/480p/720p/1080I).

My problem is that when I set the Voom box to 720p or 1080i, my tv (hitachi), only allows me toggle between 2 16:9 modes (I assume because it recognizes everything as 1080i or 720p signal, even when I'm watching a 'standard def' channel).

Therefore, I have 2 general dilemmas:

1) I thought I used to be able to toggle through all 6 aspect ration modes on my tv (4, 4:3 and 2,16:9 modes) prior to the new software change? any feedback? Is there another setting I'm missing? anyone else experience this?

2) I'd like to be able to use one of my tv's specific 4:3 stretch modes when watching a 'standard def' channel instead using Voom's stretch mode, but the only way for me to do this is set the Voom box to 480i or 480p.
Does anyone know if I set the box to 480p mode, the box will still recognize a HD channel and send an appropriate HD signal to the tv (the only reason I ask is that when I set the box to 480p mode, I really can't notice a difference between 1080i and 480p on the high def channels, but I can use all 6 aspect ratios on the tv when it's in 480p mode)?

Am I missing a setup feature somewhere or some additional knowledge? :no
Thanks for any help.

Try setting the box to native output, this can not be done in installer menu. I think that's when all the red lights on the front light up after you push the red button... It' in the lower right hand corner behing a flip door. I have a Hitachi and I can honestly say that the voom stretch is fair compared to the sets own.

Option number 2 is to run an Svideo cable to another input on the set and switch inputs based on what you are watching. Only problem would be the audio. If you're using a seperate system for audio then you're ok but if you use the TV you will need more cables and possibly splitters.

I have a Hitachi as well. I tried all of the different aspects as well as native. When you change aspect ratios look how the letters in the guide look! Mine looked crappy, 720p didn't look bad but 1080i was the best. If your receiver is set to 1080i then you only have the 2 modes for that aspect ratio, regular and stretched. If you have the receiver set for native then if a channel is broadcast in 480i or 480p then you can change it.

Same problem here(Hittachi 42HDT50)

receiver set in 1080i mode.

Looks crap(picture is cut from all sides) when use 16:9 Zoom. No other option available.

Voom receiver won't stretch by itself in 1080i mode.

the red button option worked!
I wasn't familiar with this 5th option with the red button!
thanks craigs2553 :)

I originally was set to native mode, but my TV (Mitsubishi) would have a delay to resync when flipping channels (going from HD to SD channels). I found the VOOM stretching the lesser of 2 evils, so now in 1080i mode.