AT-9 Cable Length - who has pushed the limits?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

noremac

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 28, 2004
Wash, DC
My dad's 101 dish has outlived its usefulness, and it's time to go with an AT-9. Unfortunately, his only possible line of sight location (due to trees) will require about a 125-150' distance from the receiver.

The installation manual for the AT-9 says to limit the cable run to 100 ft. But it also implies that 150 ft is OK before you need an inline amp.

Has anyone pushed the limits?! Assuming I use good cable w/solid copper center wire, what are my chances?

noremac said:
My dad's 101 dish has outlived its usefulness, and it's time to go with an AT-9. Unfortunately, his only possible line of sight location (due to trees) will require about a 125-150' distance from the receiver.

The installation manual for the AT-9 says to limit the cable run to 100 ft. But it also implies that 150 ft is OK before you need an inline amp.

Has anyone pushed the limits?! Assuming I use good cable w/solid copper center wire, what are my chances?

Use RG-6 coax.
D* set up a run of I'd say about 100-125' run into the connecting point in the house and then the individual runs added on to that to each room.
That was for a 3LNB dish though....

Jimbo

150ft is not a big deal, just make sure you use solid copper center conductor coax. Part of the problem in long runs is the signal attenuation and the other is voltage drop to run the LNBs and switch polarity. No big difference in signal attenuation between copper coated steel and solid copper but the voltage drop will eventually catch up at a few hundred feet.
Bob

Me and a Coworker did aninstall at a business with 3 h20's and we had to have the dish 200+ ft away from the recievers....and they are good....no amps...signals in the high 70's

I consulted on an AT-9 install our commercial install team did and our longest cable run was 1250' from dish to the farthest receiver. We had to use some custom equipment like power inserters and inline amplifiers, but the system is currently working at 98% uptime according to the feedback we've received.

I've personally installed two AT-9 systems that had cable runs longer than 250 ft. As long as voltage drop is not an issue, in-line amplifiers at the dish (they should always be at the dish) get it so that you don't get premature rain fade which is really the central issue behind long cable runs.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts