AT&T continues to insist they're working on their 3G network

They still need help in NYC. I went there with my Nexus One a few weeks back and my reception and data speeds were god awful.

Strange thou AT&T is not working to upgrade the 3G network in the San francisco bay area. Verizion has spent the time and effort to upgrade their network. It is the best for 3G just ask Leo leopard the tech guy. If verizion should or when they get the iPhone watch AT&T die a slow death in northern California.

Strange thou AT&T is not working to upgrade the 3G network in the San francisco bay area. Verizion has spent the time and effort to upgrade their network. It is the best for 3G just ask Leo leopard the tech guy. If verizion should or when they get the iPhone watch AT&T die a slow death in northern California.

That would be strange if it were true. The fact is that AT&T is actively working on the Bay area too. Part of the problem is that San Francisco (like New York City) take years to approve new cell tower installations but mostly, it just takes time to upgrade the infrastructure across the entire country.

Got that letter from AT&T yesterday. We have pretty good service in my area (marietta, ga)

I am just about 15 miles north of you in Paulding County and my reception is awful. Constantly have dropped calls and no data or Edge. At the most I have one bar of reception in my house and contrary to popular belief I don't live in the boonies, this is a fairly well populated area

SF has a group that opposes all cell towers complaining they are allergic to the radiation. It is a huge fight against them to get any new tower approved.

San Francisco Gets Tough(er) On Tower Builds - New Ordinance allows build rejections based on aesthetic reasons - dslreports.com

i have no problem with 3G here. it can get slow but i always remember this iphone is not a replacement for my home computer. its still a phone...a phone is a phone is a phone.
there are huge amounts of users on these phone networks. if you try to use the data services during peak usage times your experience is going to be less than rewarding just like a cable modem internet where everyone shares a node.

most of the time i get around 700 K download and 200-400k upload using tests. thats fine.
i could care less if it ever got faster.

there are so many free wifi services around downtown in the restaurants and businesses i really could get by fine with a GO Phone prepaid cheapo and an ipod touch for the most part.

AT&T has put out a presser the last several years saying the same thing. How and where they will expand. I'm sorry I just don't see it in my area. I am a iPhone addict now. If the iPhone goes to Verizon. I am gone and will not look back!!

I sure can't complain about AT&T in my neck of the woods. I average around 2.5Mbs and have seen as high as 5.39 Mbs. My upload speeds are normally around 1.25Mbs. This is plenty fast enough for my web usage on my cell phone.

i have no problem with 3G here. it can get slow but i always remember this iphone is not a replacement for my home computer. its still a phone...a phone is a phone is a phone.
there are huge amounts of users on these phone networks. if you try to use the data services during peak usage times your experience is going to be less than rewarding just like a cable modem internet where everyone shares a node.

most of the time i get around 700 K download and 200-400k upload using tests. thats fine.
i could care less if it ever got faster.

there are so many free wifi services around downtown in the restaurants and businesses i really could get by fine with a GO Phone prepaid cheapo and an ipod touch for the most part.

You're basically their perfect customer. Better handsets come out every year offering the ability to do even more with each iteration, and you don't mind if your experience is ever 'less than rewarding'.

AT&T has probably been the number one spender on cell phone system upgrades the last 2 years. But, they were way behind the prior 10 years. They mainly just bought up small regional players to expand coverage, they did not invest much in their network comparied to VZ. So, they are way behind and I do not expect them to really catch up for another year or two. VZ will start rolling the 4G LTE a year before AT&T. If the iphone rolls on VZ with 4G before AT&T starts the 4G rollout I but they lose a ton of iPhone customers fast.

mike123abc said:
AT&T has probably been the number one spender on cell phone system upgrades the last 2 years. But, they were way behind the prior 10 years. They mainly just bought up small regional players to expand coverage, they did not invest much in their network comparied to VZ. So, they are way behind and I do not expect them to really catch up for another year or two. VZ will start rolling the 4G LTE a year before AT&T. If the iphone rolls on VZ with 4G before AT&T starts the 4G rollout I but they lose a ton of iPhone customers fast.

Bingo. Leo leopard left AT&T for Verizon because of the better service. On his twit site he is always stating how much he is becoming an android fan and cannot go back to the iPhone because of the poor AT&T service.

If Verizon gets the Iphone, im gone from AT&T and will gladly pay the line cancellation fees.

The coverage is so bad with AT&T I have a regular cell phone with Verizon which I use to place outgoing calls.

All AT&T seems to care about lately is U-verse.

I have T-Mobile in the Orlando market and enjoy great speeds on my MyTouch Slide. According to the speedtest.net app I constantly get greater then 2mbit. At my house I have several recorded tests above 5mbit. (I can see the tower from my house so Im pretty close and have full signal inside).

problem is the 3g area is pretty limited, but on the edge the web surfing is not horrid and I can still stream slacker or pandora on edge with little buffering. Youtube videos take awhile to buffer/load though. But all in all in the areas I frequent most I have 3g and its very fast.

Tmobile is coming out with the G2 (Finnaly an upgrade of the G1) and it will run on their HSPA+ network (which is faster then sprints 4g) so that will be something to look forward to.

You folks looking to move to Verizon immediately after they get the iPhone, assuming they do (and surely they will), might want to give it a little pause. Might want to wait and see how quickly (or if) the Verizon network gets clogged and slows down with increased iPhone (& other smartphone) traffic. You might jump from the frying pan into the fire.

Of course, if you leave in numbers, my service will get even better. BYE! ;)

Actually, I'm quite happy with my iPhone service.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts