AT&T exploring Deal to sell off DIRECTV.

Actually, Lumen (formerly CenturyLink/Level 3) has the largest tier 1 backbone by route miles in the US.
Before ATT took over, DirecTV had the largest privately owned (non telco) fiber system in the US. It was a ring that encircled the entire country up the west coast, across the country to the east coast, down the east coast, back across the lower US to the west coast and many places in between. It was enormous carrying much of the locals back to uplink centers plus every channel uplinked was available off the fiber as well as the confidence downlinks and all monitor and control for all uplink site equipment and more. It was also fine tuned for video over IP, unlike ATTs telco centric fiber systems.

Before ATT took over, DirecTV had the largest privately owned (non telco) fiber system in the US. It was a ring that encircled the entire country up the west coast, across the country to the east coast, down the east coast, back across the lower US to the west coast and many places in between. It was enormous carrying much of the locals back to uplink centers plus every channel uplinked was available off the fiber as well as the confidence downlinks and all monitor and control for all uplink site equipment and more. It was also fine tuned for video over IP, unlike ATTs telco centric fiber systems.
ATT has had that fiber ring across the country for many years.

Reactions: Juan
If everything eventually goes to a streaming app and channels go away, then I could see ATT getting rid all of their TV products and just go 5g and HBO/Max. I remembered an article that thought maybe even cable companies could just go all internet and that's it.

I almost left You Tube TV for Spectrum, but they want me to have a TV box, even though I could stream everything.

As it is, I have my phone companies fiber 1 GB, landline and lifeline TV product. It costs less than internet alone. I’d upgrade to their standard cable offering if they ever come out with an AppleTV app. Their boxes and remotes absolutely suck.

I’ve long figured cable cos would move towards data service as their primary product just to avoid having to worry about carriage agreements. They get the same revenue for internet as they get for video, and don’t have to pay for content.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cablecos don't want to be the "dumb pipe," even though that is where most of their revenue comes from these days. Instead of focusing on their "dumb pipe" monopoly they are trying to build vertical information and entertainment monopolies. Unfortunately, the market is working against them. Some have seen the writing on the wall, but not all.

I almost left You Tube TV for Spectrum, but they want me to have a TV box, even though I could stream everything.

As it is, I have my phone companies fiber 1 GB, landline and lifeline TV product. It costs less than internet alone. I’d upgrade to their standard cable offering if they ever come out with an AppleTV app. Their boxes and remotes absolutely suck.

I’ve long figured cable cos would move towards data service as their primary product just to avoid having to worry about carriage agreements. They get the same revenue for internet as they get for video, and don’t have to pay for content.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Comcast lets uou use a roku to stream cable

The reason there are "interested buyers" is because AT&T has pretty much said they are not interested in renewing the exclusive deal for NFLST. So you will probably be able to get it from multiple places. I'll bet one of those places will be Directv - they would just rather pay the NFL per customer who has it than a big flat fee. They may keep the exclusive deal alive for commercial, it is probably worth a lot more to them there (well except this year, but coronavirus should be in the rear view mirror before the 2021 season kicks off)

I spoke to someone at AT&T who told me there will be no Directv as we know it in about 5 years. This is the time the last satellite launched will start failing. They are working with cell phone chips from AT&T to modify current Directv equipment to work with 5g.
Are you sure he didn't mean future AT&T TV boxes and not the DTV boxes? Not sure how they could upgrade current DTV boxes with 5g. Unless the DTV boxes could use some sort of 5g adapter? I also looked up the T16 lifespan and it has a 15 year lifespan.

AT&T T-16 (DirecTV 16) - Gunter's Space Page (skyrocket.de)

I spoke to someone at AT&T who told me there will be no Directv as we know it in about 5 years. This is the time the last satellite launched will start failing. They are working with cell phone chips from AT&T to modify current Directv equipment to work with 5g.
You were told wrong ... just because you talked to an Att person doesn't mean he has ANY knowledge of whats going on with Directv ...
The majority of the Sats up there are good till at least 2030 ... D* will be around for at least till then, unless Att continues to bury it.

Then why are they spending all that money on fiber?

Reactions: ncted

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)