AT&T exploring Deal to sell off DIRECTV.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Your giving up a lot to be a Dish customer. No HBO, no regional sports and constant programming disputes.

And nobody gives a F about Kangaroo technology either.

The hopper is not a reason to downgrade your Tv service and switch to Dish.
Ah Claude you do live in rarified air. Where to start? First, HBO isn't the "Must have" you seem to think it is, otherwise people would have flocked to DTV to get it and guess what? They've run away instead. As for sports, research appears to show that the pandemic has shown people they can live without sports, with the exception of the NFL and that will be on locals when it returns. Misreading the market seems to be a common theme with AT&T/DTV folks.

Ah Claude you do live in rarified air. Where to start? First, HBO isn't the "Must have" you seem to think it is, otherwise people would have flocked to DTV to get it and guess what? They've run away instead. As for sports, research appears to show that the pandemic has shown people they can live without sports, with the exception of the NFL and that will be on locals when it returns. Misreading the market seems to be a common theme with AT&T/DTV folks.
I would contend you do. Most of those flockers flocked to HBO Now. If I even recall Dish was giving customers credits and pointing them to it to sign up. As for the sports your assuming people won’t flock back once it is in full swing. And I would content early hockey ratings proved people want there sports Baseball playoffs are coming now also

I would contend you do. Most of those flockers flocked to HBO Now. If I even recall Dish was giving customers credits and pointing them to it to sign up. As for the sports your assuming people won’t flock back once it is in full swing. And I would content early hockey ratings proved people want there sports Baseball playoffs are coming now also
Yet there was not a significant bump in Dish subscriber losses when HBO was dropped, nor was there when the various sports channels were dropped. Losses, yes, just as there has been for both sat services, but not the big jumps you would expect if the loss of HBO and sports were major issues to a large part of subscribers.

Yet there was not a significant bump in Dish subscriber losses when HBO was dropped, nor was there when the various sports channels were dropped. Losses, yes, just as there has been for both sat services, but not the big jumps you would expect if the loss of HBO and sports were major issues to a large part of subscribers.

Yep, the losses weren’t what all the doom and gloom types wanted us all to believe.

First, HBO. Why in the world would anyone want just HBO when HBO Max has more and cost the same? I suppose those with no or poor internet access would.

And sports? Well that’s mostly RSNs as the national sports channels all seem to be on Dish. And there are plenty of articles out there that indicate that RSNs are only important to about 10% of viewers.

CBS All Access and Pluto streaming services should buy Direct TV and convert to half pay and FTA satellite TV services! :hatsoff
so you want a DirecTV owned by ViacomCBS. this would further hurt the already dying traditional non-internet based paid TV industry, as ViacomCBS (and the original version of Viacom, the later post CBS Corporation spinoff version of Viacom and the spun off CBS Corporation from 2006 to 2019) has been infamous for retransmission disputes and blackouts of their owned channels.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Behind a paywall, but the Sports Business Journal reports that AT&T is close to a deal with Sinclair to sell AT&T Sports Networks, which are the RSNs for Pittsburgh, Denver, Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, and Houston regions, plus a 40% interest in the Seattle RSN, still carrying the unfortunate Root Sports brand.

AFAIK, the rest of the old DirecTV sports, which mostly consisted of producing the Dan Patrick and Rich Eisen shows has moved to NBC. I would assume that the RSNs would get reincorporated into Sinclair's Fox Sports Net branding.
And stay ON Directv ?

Yep, the losses weren’t what all the doom and gloom types wanted us all to believe.

First, HBO. Why in the world would anyone want just HBO when HBO Max has more and cost the same? I suppose those with no or poor internet access would.

And sports? Well that’s mostly RSNs as the national sports channels all seem to be on Dish. And there are plenty of articles out there that indicate that RSNs are only important to about 10% of viewers.
I look at that a little differently ...
Outside of College Football, all the sports I watch regularly is on an RSN ....
For example, Baseball, I watch the Tigers, Red Sox and the Astros ....
None of them I can get every day on a National Network ...

Hockey goes the same way, ALL on RSNs ...

Pro Football is a bit different, NONE of them are on RSN's, but you can't get YOUR Team every week on a Network TV (meaning the Big 4) unless you live in that area. Therefore, you need another package, the NFL ST.

So, RSN's are still VERY Important ....
Btw, I'll never understand why they won't let you watch the Pre and Post game show for the game your watching (baseball wise)

I subscribe to just about everything on both Comcast and Directv.

I have HBO, but never watch it.

I have Fox Sports Detroit, but rarely watch it either.

I think my family watches it, but just because I don’t watch it on a regular basis, I want the programming available if I decide I want to see the last inning of the baseball game.

I have HBO,. If I want to watch a movie that’s on it.

I don’t want my choices limited because some penny pinching CEO of the cable company I have service with decided that it’s too expensive to carry on their service and chooses not to offer certain channels.

I work many hours. The money is not an issue, I just want to watch tv on my terms.

I don’t consider myself someone who likes to stream everything.

I have CBS all access. If it wasn’t for Picard, I wouldn’t bother subscribing at all.

I subscribe to just about everything on both Comcast and Directv.

I have HBO, but never watch it.

I have Fox Sports Detroit, but rarely watch it either.

I think my family watches it, but just because I don’t watch it on a regular basis, I want the programming available if I decide I want to see the last inning of the baseball game.

I have HBO,. If I want to watch a movie that’s on it.

I don’t want my choices limited because some penny pinching CEO of the cable company I have service with decided that it’s too expensive to carry on their service and chooses not to offer certain channels.

I work many hours. The money is not an issue, I just want to watch tv on my terms.

I don’t consider myself someone who likes to stream everything.

I have CBS all access. If it wasn’t for Picard, I wouldn’t bother subscribing at all.
Well put ....
I'm right there with you, except for the Comcast part ... no need for me ... they have nothing I need that I don't already have with D*.

I too, like to have the ability to watch something, weather I do or not isn't the question, I HAVE the opportunity if I want to.

Some of the exact reasons I stream everything. I pick and choose what I want to watch and when. Not sure I spend any less money, but I don't have to worry about being able to watch what I want when I want to watch it. The same reasoning is why I have multiple streaming hardware solutions in the house (see HBOMax dispute with Roku/Amazon). Add in not wanting to watch commercials, and streaming wins for me big time for me.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
Well put ....
I'm right there with you, except for the Comcast part ... no need for me ... they have nothing I need that I don't already have with D*.

I too, like to have the ability to watch something, weather I do or not isn't the question, I HAVE the opportunity if I want to.

Only have Comcast due to Tivo.

Had their home security/internet bundle. It was like $20 more to add Tv.

So bought the Tivo so I could take advantage of what I was paying for. To be honest I’m in love with the Tivo.

Upgraded my 6 tuner VOX to a 14 TB Drive for something like 2600 hours of recording.

6 tuners is more than enough, and Tivo beats kangaroo and Genie technology any day.

Hardly.

I can understand your problems with Dish. But it’s getting OLD your trashing the Hopper series, which has won “Best Of” and is generally considered the best available. TiVO is long in the tooth. Not bad, but not up to Hopper standards.

Give it a rest. Your trashing Hopper says a lot more about you than Dish.

Behind a paywall, but the Sports Business Journal reports that AT&T is close to a deal with Sinclair to sell AT&T Sports Networks, which are the RSNs for Pittsburgh, Denver, Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, and Houston regions, plus a 40% interest in the Seattle RSN, still carrying the unfortunate Root Sports brand.

AFAIK, the rest of the old DirecTV sports, which mostly consisted of producing the Dan Patrick and Rich Eisen shows has moved to NBC. I would assume that the RSNs would get reincorporated into Sinclair's Fox Sports Net branding.
I’m surprised they haven’t dropped the Fox name yet.

Hardly.

I can understand your problems with Dish. But it’s getting OLD your trashing the Hopper series, which has won “Best Of” and is generally considered the best available. TiVO is long in the tooth. Not bad, but not up to Hopper standards.

Give it a rest. Your trashing Hopper says a lot more about you than Dish.
Long in the tooth?? Minus the amount of simultaneous recordings at once I would love to know what features you think the Hopper has over Tivo. The Bolt and Edge run circles around the H3. Not even getting into the Hopper interface looks like it is from Nintendo game

They are not selling assets to survive...the investment bankers are wringing every penny out to maximize profits...wash..ronse..lather..repeat...att wii suruvive

And stay ON Directv ?

Well, yeah. DirecTV's deal with the existing FSN has never come close to a dispute, and sports are DirecTV's secret sauce. Certainly the day DirecTV drops my local RSN is the day I am gone. Local RSNs are among the most important to any sports fan, as it is your geographically logical home teams (MLB and NHL, NBA is not really followed on a regional basis), which most people in any area follow.

And why would they sell the ATTSN group and not take the opportunity to extend the FSN deal yet farther.

I’m surprised they haven’t dropped the Fox name yet.

Me too. First it is confusing to people who do not follow the industry. For example when Thom Brennaman had his issue, there were self-appointeds calling on Fox to do something, except of course FSN-Ohio belongs to Sinclair, not Fox. But more importantly, why not? Why would you buy a major asset and keep the name of the previous owner? And why would the previous owner want to let you?

I think the panic, umm, pandemic, may have slowed down work on this, but I expect Sinclair will have an new name by next year's baseball opener. My guess remains Diamond Sports

Reactions: Jimbo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts