AT&T Forcing DSL Users to Upgrade to U-Verse

I would assume that this will only apply to those in U-Verse areas. Not all AT&T areas have U-Verse service available, correct?

Last edited:
Sounds very anti competitive to me. If I was an AT&T Internet sub, I would be pissed. 12 months of price guarantee and then wham, time to pay the piper for all the "extra features" we forced you to take.

According to their website I can only get 3 megabit from them, but yet they have 2 UVerse boxes not far from my house and many more down the highway. I saw them adding them one by one with their work crews. If I put in my neighbor's address about 12 houses down it says he can get UVerse though. Guess something is wrong with most of my neighborhood and the next one. Or maybe they surely messed up with their placement of the boxes as it doesn't serve many customers. I highly doubt they are going to come back and put more UVerse boxes anytime soon to fill in the HUGE gaps in the areas.

No biggie though as prefer a cable modem anyways.

According to their website I can only get 3 megabit from them, but yet they have 2 UVerse boxes not far from my house and many more down the highway. If I put in my neighbor's address about 12 houses down it says he can get UVerse though.
Your phone service may come from a "different" direction and not be served by the same UVerse box as your neighbor. Or, it could simply be a mistake with their online tool.

I would assume that this will only apply to those in U-Verse areas. Not all AT&T areas have U-Verse service available, correct?
Answering out of order, but you're correct, U-Verse is NOT available everywhere. It had a limited roll-out, as I understand it, at least in regards to where DSL service is available.

I have the option for U-Verse and currently have DSL from them. I recently checked on switching, mainly for the bundling deals (not interested in TV), and they want over $200 out-of-pocket for installation, hardware, etc. I guess the roll-out promotions of free everything have ended. Now, if they tell me I have to switch, it won't cost me anything, and I really won't care. I also think, from what I read at DSLR, that this is in a very limited phase (currently). I do suspect, like others, that if you have the option for both, they will force it sooner rather than later.

Teehar said:
Nah thats cheap for AT&T 6mb dsl.We pay $43 and thats with a bundle land line phone plan.

Call and tell them your cable company offers 20mb for half of the $43.
Your $43 will look more like $24 the next 6 months.:)

My mother-in-law finally got a laptop last August and I set her up with Verizon DSL at $25 per month since she's a very light user. I also signed her up for autopay. Well, as it turned-out Verizon won't permit her to setup autopay without having landline service. In fact, she can't even pay her bill via mail (she receives it via mail) and they told her they won't accept payment on her account by mail...and they refuses to mail her a bill. Moreover, she has to drive into town to pay her DSL bill each month IN CASH - Verizon will not accept credit card nor check payment on her DSL only account. Yikes! It's not a huge deal since she drives into town to shop every couple weeks, however I'm a little ticked because Verizon stopped signing-up DSL only users shortly afterwards, and they appear to be doing everything to make her want to drop the service. Yikes!

What really sucks is that she had landline service for more than 40-years (mostly with Verizon/Bell whomever) and still has Verizon Wireless and some sort of an add-on box that allows per home phone service to be routed through Verizon Wireless. In fact, she has been with Verizon Wiress for the past 15-years...but they won't/can't consolidate her DSL bill. I would have dumped her Dish subscription and signed her up with FiOS, but they are not availble in her neck-of-the-woods. I feel it is only a matter of time before she receives a letter from Verizon telling her she has to signup for landline service of have her DSL service disconnected...regardless of the fact she is paying Verizon Wireless $100+ per month.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts