AT&T hears an EchoStar

jakesnake3037

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
Springfield, MO 65803
Just a bit of news that might be of interest if it ever happens:
News Corp. Chairman Rupert Murdoch will continue to be at the forefront of the major media giants' push into new media. But his short attention span will begin to get the better of him as his last pet project — DirecTV Group Inc., the nation's leading satellite provider, which he purchased two years ago — begins to struggle in the face of cable's superior bundle of products. Murdoch will consider taking a run at DirecTV's chief rival — EchoStar Communications Corp., operator of Dish Network — to increase his capacity for providing video enhancements such as high-definition TV.
But he will remain on the sidelines when phone giant AT&T Inc. (formerly SBC Communications) expresses interest. In a bid to provide television in addition to phone and high-speed Internet service, AT&T will abort its high-stakes gambit to wire the country and will buy EchoStar for $20 billion instead.
IMHO- I don't think that the FCC would let Murdoch own D* and E*, but you never know!!!

Heh, ya they denied E*'s D* buyout before, if they approve in the reverse, talk about a change

Though the satellite space would be hellova interesting, a 12 lnb'd dish picking up 99, 101, 103, 105, 110, 119, 121 and 129 (well, 8 lnb's :p)

If only...

Scott Greczkowski said:
Thanks, this has been reported here for over a week now.

Would be interesting to see if it happens. :)

:) I'm not trying to be an a**, but I see hundreds of posts on the same topic everyday, and they don't get comments like that...LOL:)

And honestly, I did lots of searches on the posts and I did not see anything about this!!

Yeah I know but I am trying to group things into one thread.

Orginazation was one of my resolutions and so far I have not been good at it. :D

My wife, who works for E*, was told today there is an employee meeting tommorow pertaining to a special announcement....the 2 rumors are either E* got to 12 million subscribers (a big goal of theirs) or that they are being bought.

it would actually be congress and the SEC that would disallow Murdoch from purchasing E* as it would fall under fair trade and anti monopoly legislation rather than FCC guidelines. They did not allow E* to purchase D* prior to Murdoch's purchase, so why would they then allow this? Now AT&T purchasing E*... that's interesting.

jakesnake3037 said:
Just a bit of news that might be of interest if it ever happens:
News Corp. Chairman Rupert Murdoch will continue to be at the forefront of the major media giants' push into new media. But his short attention span will begin to get the better of him as his last pet project — DirecTV Group Inc., the nation's leading satellite provider, which he purchased two years ago — begins to struggle in the face of cable's superior bundle of products. Murdoch will consider taking a run at DirecTV's chief rival — EchoStar Communications Corp., operator of Dish Network — to increase his capacity for providing video enhancements such as high-definition TV.
But he will remain on the sidelines when phone giant AT&T Inc. (formerly SBC Communications) expresses interest. In a bid to provide television in addition to phone and high-speed Internet service, AT&T will abort its high-stakes gambit to wire the country and will buy EchoStar for $20 billion instead.
IMHO- I don't think that the FCC would let Murdoch own D* and E*, but you never know!!!

Chrisc490 said:
it would actually be congress and the SEC that would disallow Murdoch from purchasing E* as it would fall under fair trade and anti monopoly legislation rather than FCC guidelines. They did not allow E* to purchase D* prior to Murdoch's purchase, so why would they then allow this? Now AT&T purchasing E*... that's interesting.
Because Murdoch is a Republican and Ergen is a Democrat!!

Juan pay attention. Gore and Enron. They paid Gore. Money talks regardless of party affliation though Murdoch is Bush's baby.

avsfan33 said:
My wife, who works for E*, was told today there is an employee meeting tommorow pertaining to a special announcement....the 2 rumors are either E* got to 12 million subscribers (a big goal of theirs) or that they are being bought.

When is the meeting for this today?
Any news yet from your wife???

Hmm... Last time AT&T bought cable (yeah I know this is really SBC in disguise) they spent billions to upgrade the system and ended up giving up... Maybe we will get a bunch of new satellites built... E1,2,3,4 and 8 could all use a replacement (E8 is transmitting ok but seems to be losing control/thrusters hard to say if it is going to break down more or not).

It would be great if they would build a new spot for 119 along the lines of E10 to boost spot coverage for more LiL HD.

Not to mention they need 3 new satellites for the Ku-Aux band.

On the other hand they could save some $$ at Echostar by using all the AT&T fiber for backhauls of the LiL stations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)