AT&T Hints at Fixed Residential LTE Still Likely a Few Years Out After Massive Spectrum Deals

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
It would not surprise me for them to start moving their home internet users to Wireless connections that way they can start putting data caps on their home internet like they do with their data plans on their cells. This is why you should never get all your services from one provider but either way I would not be surprise if AT&T at some point start putting data caps on home users.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/ATT-Hints-at-Fixed-Residential-LTE-122732

As we've noted, AT&T's recently announced U-Verse upgrades are less significant than the company's recent announcement made it appear, given the "expansion" involves simply pushing U-Verse out to an additional 3 million or so users they'd already intended to upgrade (the majority in San Francisco, where debates over VRAD cabinets stalled upgrades). Last week AT&T stated that some of their U-Verse expansion will also use LTE as a delivery mechanism, though the company's just not quite done working out how to do it yet:
"We anticipate that LTE will be a (fixed residential) broadband coverage solution for a portion of the country; we just haven't yet gotten to the point where we have enough experience under our belt to know exactly what that footprint is going to be," Donovan said during a question-and-answer period...The end goal is to "extend (U-Verse) from 75 percent of the footprint to 99 percent of the footprint [and] we're going to be using LTE for some of that broadband," Donovan said.

Any fixed LTE product would take the U-Verse brand and would likely look much like Verizon's Home Fusion product, which offers users an LTE connection with a roof-mounted antenna in $60 (10 GB cap), $90 (20 GB cap) and $120 (30 GB plan) flavors. AT&T conducted close to fifty different spectrum deals this year (in addition to their getting approval to use WCS spectrum for LTE, so it may take them a while to get all of their ducks in a row.

What a freakin' waste of the public airwaves. We had to vacate the upper UHF TV band for this?

This is why fiber should be a Public Service like sewers and water. If the municipal fiber doesn't want to be in the ISP business, they can turn around and lease the fiber to private businesses.

What a freakin' waste of the public airwaves. We had to vacate the upper UHF TV band for this?

This is why fiber should be a Public Service like sewers and water. If the municipal fiber doesn't want to be in the ISP business, they can turn around and lease the fiber to private businesses.

Trying to carefully word this to avoid political talk. The big wireless companies have persuaded the government that all future wireless spectrum should be sold to the highest bidder. Even if in reality it would be better to help remote users to receive service when fiber is very expensive. I would like to see fiber eventually run everywhere, but the reality is that it will not be, and wireless is probably one of the best options to cover the gaps. But, it probably should be run as an utility without usage based billing like cell phones.

Much of the world has vacated the VHF band, forcing digital TV onto UHF only.

Selective quoting...

I would like to see fiber eventually run everywhere, but the reality is that it will not be, and wireless is probably one of the best options to cover the gaps. But, it probably should be run as an utility without usage based billing like cell phones.

You pay a flat fee for unlimited electrical, gas and water? Mine is all usage based, the more I use the more I pay. I hope that was just poor wording on your part.

This is usage based, it's just a very low usage base.

Selective quoting...

You pay a flat fee for unlimited electrical, gas and water? Mine is all usage based, the more I use the more I pay. I hope that was just poor wording on your part.

This is usage based, it's just a very low usage base.

Poor thought to keyboard transmission... Essentially I was thinking of a government/state/local/city/coop etc. system to deliver bandwidth to remote locations. Like the USF is supposed to do. Fiber is probably impractical for a small percentage of locations. If they were able to use wireless, but not run by the cell companies with $10/GB rates to cover the last gaps, it would be a good way to fill in these gaps.

Right now AT&T appears to be on a track to say OK, we are going to abandon all our rural DSL customers with essentially a 150GB cap with $10/50GB overages, and only offer cellular at $10/GB overages. Essentially the USF has paid tons of money over the years to maintain the copper in rural areas, and now these users could see their internet costs skyrocket.

mike:

I figured it was poor wording. :)

I have no issue with a utility model if it saves consumers money overall -- pay for what you use, and the heavy users pay more than the casual users.

There is never enough bandwidth. Demand will always, over the long term, exceed supply. How much bandwidth will we need for HoloTV?

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/ATT-Conning-Kentucky-Kansas-Into-Gutting-Oversight-DSL-123265

AT&T & VZ working state legislatures to allow them to cut DSL in favor of LTE.

Verizon and AT&T want to get out of maintaining or upgrading the tens of millions of DSL users so they can focus on wireless, a move that makes obvious business sense from their perspectives. Verizon Wireless isn't unionized, so Verizon gets rid of union headaches. Wireless services are less regulated, so carriers can get rid of consumer protections. Wireless is easier to install, cheaper to maintain, and the companies make oodles more money by charging users $15 per gigabyte.

The problem? The move leaves tens of millions of DSL and plain-old-telephone (POTS) users in a pinch. Hanging up on these users gives cable a huge monopoly on fixed line broadband, and forces DSL users to pay much more money for heavily capped LTE services ($15 per gigabyte). That's assuming those DSL users will have additional options when AT&T and Verizon cuts the cord.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts