AT&T Home Entertainment

bob022

Original poster
Apr 7, 2008
Hello,

I recently moved to a large apartment complex in Northern California that offers Dish Network service to each apartment via a QAM headend system branded as "AT&T Home Entertainment."

I would put up my own dish on my balcony, but unfortunately I'm not facing the right direction. In addition, because of the limited packages the service offers and the inability to own my own equipment, I am wondering if I can purchase my own receiver, activate it with Dish directly and use the incoming QAM feed in lieu of my own Dish.

I am aware that Dish has a device called a "Q-Box" that converts a QAM signal to QPSK. Assuming I can purchase two of these devices, if I purchase a new DVR622 and operate it in QAM mode, will the receiver "know any difference" between the QAM feed and a standard QPSK configuration? Will the unit go through the same activation process as on a normal setup, or do the MDU systems have a special activation procedure that differs from standalone activations?

Thanks...

Hello,

I recently moved to a large apartment complex in Northern California that offers Dish Network service to each apartment via a QAM headend system branded as "AT&T Home Entertainment."

I would put up my own dish on my balcony, but unfortunately I'm not facing the right direction. In addition, because of the limited packages the service offers and the inability to own my own equipment, I am wondering if I can purchase my own receiver, activate it with Dish directly and use the incoming QAM feed in lieu of my own Dish.

I am aware that Dish has a device called a "Q-Box" that converts a QAM signal to QPSK. Assuming I can purchase two of these devices, if I purchase a new DVR622 and operate it in QAM mode, will the receiver "know any difference" between the QAM feed and a standard QPSK configuration? Will the unit go through the same activation process as on a normal setup, or do the MDU systems have a special activation procedure that differs from standalone activations?

Thanks...

There is no QAM mode on a 622. That's what a Q-Box is for. If you don't currently have an account, why not just sign up through the apartment and have Dish bring you out the equipment? What is the apartment complex offering?

The apartment doesn't allow you to own your own equipment ... they charge a monthly "equipment rental fee" which ends up being $12 for a DVR plus their programming packages are not the same. I did call them and would be paying well over $80 per month after taxes for AT100 + locals + HD + DVR with no movie packages. They also make you pay a $5 monthly "maintenance fee" and $41.99 installation fee. Translation = ripoff.

The apartment doesn't allow you to own your own equipment ... they charge a monthly "equipment rental fee" which ends up being $12 for a DVR plus their programming packages are not the same. I did call them and would be paying well over $80 per month after taxes for AT100 + locals + HD + DVR with no movie packages. They also make you pay a $5 monthly "maintenance fee" and $41.99 installation fee. Translation = ripoff.

Yikes. Yeah, you could probably do that. A couple of Q boxes and you could likely get your own account. I doubt there is any technical reason you couldn't get it. You may have to buy the Q-boxes though. And you need one for each tuner. I'd try to get some of the others here to weigh in though.

Not to mention, I read the FCC just ruled that all of these exclusive, anti-competitive contracts between apartment landlords and programming providers are illegal, so I don't have any personal moral issues with doing this. (We can't get Comcast for instance, or AT&T's own uVerse, even though they're both in street right in front of the complex). It's a total racket where AT&T gives the complex a kickback in exchange for being the exclusive provider of TV, phone and Internet.

I'll bet the apartment complex blocks all reception to non-subscribers to their system, and certain channels to prevent Q box kind of solutions. Yes, you could probably take it to court and win, but the costs would be outrageous.

Time to move.

Look for an attorney who will take the case pro bono and sue ATT big time---you and the attorney will be rich sock it to ATT.(big time class action suit

Sue AT&T? Or the apt complex? Both? I'd think the complex would be the logical target, although not the one with the deepest pockets.

What if they settled right off, dropping the illegal requirements? Hard to show damages?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)