AT&T isn't the only one with privacy issue - Droid incredbile does too.

uncrules

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 15, 2005
High Point, NC, USA
AT&T rightly has been getting creamed for their issueson iPhone pre order day including some bad privacy issues. But unfortunately they aren't the only company creating potential privacy issues. The Droid Incredible has issues too. So if your phone gets lost or stolen or you sell it, there could be privacy issues.

Droid Incredible saves browser screenshots to internal memory, turns into a privacy nightmare? -- Engadget

June must be the month when privacy issues leave their hibernation and return to trouble our fragile minds. First we had Flash going loco, then AT&T's airwaves exploded with iPad users' email addresses, iPhone 4 pre-orders started sending people to the wrong account, and now this. Boy Genius Report has come across a rather worrying "feature" of the HTC Sense bookmarking widget on the Incredible, which takes sporadic screenshots of your browsing sessions. That wouldn't be so bothersome in itself, but try to remove said pictures, and you find where the problem lies. Ending the browsing session, deleting your history, and even a full reset to factory settings failed to eviscerate the indiscreet imagery. You have to manually discover their location and delete them by hand. Considering the high likelihood of Incredibles being sold and resold for years to come, this could turn the phone into a little cache of treasure for the proactive identity thief. And since it's a Sense issue, it might be affecting other HTC handsets as well. Wunderbar.

10x0617on2353droid.jpg

I'm sure an app will be released in the near future that deals with this problem, or a patch by HTC.

I'm sure your right but it's getting scary lately with all of these types of things that are happening. Google recently had their issue where they were capturing data from unsecured wireless networks. And all of AT&T's security issues. In this day and age of increased awareness of security, you'd think companies would get better, but lately it seems that they are getting worse.

Live becomes mush easier if you just turn cynical on the whole privacy issue.

Start with the assumption that all you do online is well known and documented.
Does it really matter whether this is done by accident (Google) or on purpose (government)?

If we look at the WiFi data collection not like the German government does (in principle) but in general:
What good can the pieces collected by a moving vehicle be good for? Ever done wardriving?

Although I'm not a fan of Sun's founder Scott McNealy, but I believe him when he said in the aftermath of 9/11: You think you have privacy? You don't! Get over it.
Or something to this point. Almost 10 years ago!

Look at it this way: there is a pile of info about you laying dormant somewhere.
If "they" are coming after you, it will be found, extracted, analysed and applied.
And this has nothing to do with Google, iPad customer leak or anything like this.

Anybody remember "Enemy of the State"?

Diogen.

EDIT: According to Wiki, Scott said this before 9/11, in 1999: "You have zero privacy anyway. Get over it."[
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_McNealy"]Scott McNealy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Last edited:
I have to agree. The Government wants us to believe we have privacy. I believe that if they want to find out about something, they can do just about anything.

If my phone got lost or stolen they would have access to my saved passwords and emails anyway. I've looked through these screenshots and they are the same bookmark thumbnails that show up in my browser. So It's really a non issue.

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Tapatalk

I've looked through these screenshots and they are the same bookmark thumbnails that show up in my browser. So It's really a non issue.
If that's the case then a LOT more than just the HTC Incredible is affected !! My HTC Eris does this too... Is this a "feature" of HTC's browser or is it the stock Android browser that does this too ? If so, it's not limited to HTC either.

ROFL....anyone that uses GOOGLE products and worries about privacy needs to have their head checked.

Lets look at 3 tech company's
1. Microsoft...In the business of enterprise software (like IBM, Oracle, Adobe)
2. Apple...In the business of consumer electronics (like Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba)
3. Google...In the business of collecting data on you and your family...and doing what with it? (like the NSA, FSB, MI5)

THINK ABOUT IT.... :)

If my phone got lost or stolen they would have access to my saved passwords and emails anyway. I've looked through these screenshots and they are the same bookmark thumbnails that show up in my browser. So It's really a non issue.

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Tapatalk

Exactly...this whole story was stupid.

If my phone got lost or stolen they would have access to my saved passwords and emails anyway.

On my ipad, I have the access code set and checked if the wrong code is entered 10 times it erases the device. Does the iphone have this same feature?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)