AT&T to Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.
This is purely anecdotal based on my experience having had both DirecTV and Dish 3 times each from 2004 until present. DirecTV, both with the old 3LNB and more recent 5 Satellite dishes seems to lose signal sooner and outages last longer than Dish with a 1000+ or 1000.4 EA dish. I don't know that it is only due to the microwave band they are using. It may also be the dish design, tuner sensitivity, or other factors. Now, that said, neither should go out in light to moderate rain. I only have really had outages when there is a strong storm between the dish and the sats, and they really don't last long with either company. I've watched TV with almost no interruptions during hurricanes with both providers.

Of course, Charter (TWC) around here has a problem of going out when it rains too hard/gets too humid as well. If AT&T Fiber had a better solution than the old Uverse, that would probably be the best solution for us to avoid outages, but there are other factors to consider.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Am I really the only one who does not notice when the signal goes out due to rain?

Maybe because my stuff is installed correctly, but I honestly can’t remember the signal going out due to rain.

A few pixels during a storm and that was it.

People make such a big deal over rain fade. I don’t get it

Reactions: charlesrshell
If AT&T Fiber had a better solution than the old Uverse, that would probably be the best solution for us to avoid outages, but there are other factors to consider.

Funny my AT&T Fiber has gone out Atleast 3 times for about an hour since installed last November.

I don’t remember as many outages with Comcast.

The fiber in my neighborhood was brand new.

Must be an issue elsewhere down the line

Am I really the only one who does not notice when the signal goes out due to rain?

Maybe because my stuff is installed correctly, but I honestly can’t remember the signal going out due to rain.

A few pixels during a storm and that was it.

People make such a big deal over rain fade. I don’t get it

Not sure what the weather is like in Detroit. In central NC, we get strong afternoon/evening thunderstorms most days during the summer. Most of the time, the disruption is minimal, if at all, but the storms are regular enough that we get a couple of instances each summer month where it is enough to cause an outage. Is it common enough to make me or a lot of other satellite customers switch to something else? No, because Dish and DirecTV are still better than the alternatives for other reasons. Is it noticeable enough to remember the last time it happened? Yes, on 8/8. We missed part of the evening news broadcasts for about 4 minutes.

I understand Florida is even worse in this respect.

Funny my AT&T Fiber has gone out Atleast 3 times for about an hour since installed last November.

I don’t remember as many outages with Comcast.

The fiber in my neighborhood was brand new.

Must be an issue elsewhere down the line

I've had fiber for about 1 year now. It has gone out once for 3 days when an ice storm took out an upstream link. Frontier is offering 12Mb service for $12 per month. I am half-tempted to get it as a backup in the case where Fiber goes out. Unfortunately, no one has good enough LTE service in my hood to use as a backup.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)