AT&T to Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Press the Home button. The Hopper 3 automatically tracks what you watch and puts tiles for the current and next shows for your most frequently watched channels on the Home screen. Highlight one of the tiles and press the Play button on the remote to immediately change to that channel. At least that is the way it works on my Wally, which has similar software to the Hopper series.

Thanks. I didn't see that when I was looking around. Not exactly the same as AT&T, but not too bad.
Guess I need to read over some of the old threads and just play around with everything on the remote, etc... :)

Reactions: pattykay
What a wonderful phone call I just received from the boss lady. lol :)

For those who are switching providers while your significant other is gone, make sure you read and delete any e-mails from your previous provider. I forgot AT&T was going to send a confirmation that I dropped their service and she saw it on her phone. :sigh:

Her biggest problem is the new channel layout... which is why I'm typing up a sheet with her top 10 channels or so (on top of it being in the menu) so she can look and find without scanning anything else.

She just hates change, and doesn't like anything new. Even though she hated the ipad and iphone I got her years ago, now she loves them. :sigh:

Maybe the week away will cool her off a bit? lol.. not likely. :sigh: Foiled by a dang e-mail! :)

Set up a Favorites List for her, listing only the channels you know she watches, and name it with her first name. Or Wifey or whatever she might like.

We very rarely stray from our Favorites Lists.

One other thing I have seen varying answers. Does Dish automatically switch to SD and then back to HD during rain fade, etc...?
It seems at one time it did, but now doesn't with the new software?

Yeah.. I may end up doing the Favorites List. I'll let her yell when she comes home and give her a few weeks. :)

One other thing I have seen varying answers. Does Dish automatically switch to SD and then back to HD during rain fade, etc...?
It seems at one time it did, but now doesn't with the new software?

Yeah.. I may end up doing the Favorites List. I'll let her yell when she comes home and give her a few weeks. :)

At least on the WA, it'll drop to the SD Channel when rain fade happens.. but it won't switch back to the HD channel unless you switch channels. Not sure what happens on the EA since I believe there aren't any SD duplicates. Correct me if that's not correct.

I had to switch settings in the guide. There are some channels with SD as a back up it seems, like ESPN etc.. doesn't look like all of them, but that's ok.

So in theory it should switch to SD if a channel is available. Pretty neat. Thanks.

I haven't seen a drop to SD in years. I only recall one storm in the last year in which we lost signal- briefly, but repeatedly. WAY, WAY, WAY more reliable than when we had Cox Cable. But I suspect FiOS is as near to 100% as God allows.

I haven't seen a drop to SD in years. I only recall one storm in the last year in which we lost signal- briefly, but repeatedly. WAY, WAY, WAY more reliable than when we had Cox Cable. But I suspect FiOS is as near to 100% as God allows.

I average 4 or so outages a year. It's usually for about 10-15 minutes unless it's one of those freight train storms where the red on the radar keeps coming... worst outage I had was about an hour, several years ago.

If the OTA works as well as it seems to right now, and the SD works, then things should be fine. Mainly watch the local weather stations in those situations.

I see that my local channels signal, 61.5 sat with spotbeam 25 is 50/51.

I average 4 or so outages a year. It's usually for about 10-15 minutes unless it's one of those freight train storms where the red on the radar keeps coming... worst outage I had was about an hour, several years ago.

If the OTA works as well as it seems to right now, and the SD works, then things should be fine. Mainly watch the local weather stations in those situations.

I see that my local channels signal, 61.5 sat with spotbeam 25 is 50/51.
Good signal.

Reactions: Riverpilot
At least on the WA, it'll drop to the SD Channel when rain fade happens.. but it won't switch back to the HD channel unless you switch channels. Not sure what happens on the EA since I believe there aren't any SD duplicates. Correct me if that's not correct.
Not quite. There is one situation where it would change back to the HD channel, but you would have to lose signal on the SD channel and have signal again on the HD channel for that to happen.

If the channels are at different orbital positions (or if you are near the edge of a spotbeam to get "moved" locals) then the scenario I described is entirely possible.
Of course it is possible but highly improbable....

Not quite. There is one situation where it would change back to the HD channel, but you would have to lose signal on the SD channel and have signal again on the HD channel for that to happen.

That's never happened with me. I've always had to switch the channel to return to the HD version. I'm not saying your lying.. the stars just haven't aligned that way for me. Either way, it'll still avert to SD when HD is lost for me. For the limited times that happens for me, It's not too big a deal to switch the channel.

That's never happened with me. I've always had to switch the channel to return to the HD version. I'm not saying your lying.. the stars just haven't aligned that way for me. Either way, it'll still avert to SD when HD is lost for me. For the limited times that happens for me, It's not too big a deal to switch the channel.
If you hit the guide button then select the channel you're already on, assuming you lost HD on that channel and the HD signal is back, it'll switch to HD without changing the channel

Another question.

I could have sworn when I first set up the Hopper 3, I saw a notification that recording live programming, like a football game, resulted in padding the end time by 2 hours or so.

Now I can't find any indication of confirming this. Is there somewhere to confirm this setting, or ???

The regular DVR setting I have set up with a 2 minute padding at the beginning and end.

Thanks all!

There is no way to adjust it and there never was. You can, however, set the timer to longer.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)