AT&T to Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Decided to contact Dish customer service about the possibility of a new customer having two Hopper 3's at install.
The person who got back to me, within an hour of me writing :) stated that yes it's possible. First Hopper 3 is leased, the 2nd one is purchased.

I don't really need two Hopper 3's, but how refreshing it is to have options if needed.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I'm considering the switch to Dish from AT&T (Directv) and am curious about opinions.

My two biggest concerns that I've been reading about are people having problems with timers/recording due to the new/change in the guide data. Also, the picture quality... as people refer to Dish as HD lite.

Any other positives, negatives?

I used to have Directv several years ago, before I made the switch to Dish. It's surprising how after all this time, Directv has pretty much stayed the same. Aside from releasing the newer, smaller, faster Genie models, it's still ultimately the same 5-tuner whole-home DVR with the same user interface, so it doesn't really feel like they've done anything new that's been a major upgrade, aside from maybe the few 4K channels which Dish doesn't have.

As far as PQ, people have said that Directv has better HD, but Dish has better SD. Ever since I got the Hopper 3, the SD channels have looked way better in terms of picture quality. Watching Buzzr in SD on my 60" TV looks perfectly fine. And honestly, I'm not much of a stickler in terms of comparing HD feeds, so they look fine to me as well.

The main negative with Dish right now is the recording issues that have resulted as of the switch in guide providers from Gracenote to Rovi. Aside from having to manually set recordings and check the timers every day or two to make sure your programs are in fact being recorded, Dish is still leaps and bounds ahead of Directv. Hardware-wise, you've got the 16 tuners, plus PTAT, which alone solves many recording conflicts in and of itself. Software-wise, compare the program guide and the UI for the H3 with Directv's old-fashioned text-based guide that they've been using since 2013, and you won't ever want to switch back.

Even with the recording issues right now, Dish is still way ahead of Directv, and until AT&T comes out with a receiver equivalent to the H3 in terms of tuners, with an updated UI that's not just 90% text-based, it's kind of hard to justify going with them. Unless you really love sports and the 4K content... but even then, after you've used the H3 for a few weeks, you won't want to go back, seeing the difference.

Reactions: pattykay
I used to have Directv several years ago, before I made the switch to Dish. It's surprising how after all this time, Directv has pretty much stayed the same. Aside from releasing the newer, smaller, faster Genie models, it's still ultimately the same 5-tuner whole-home DVR with the same user interface, so it doesn't really feel like they've done anything new that's been a major upgrade, aside from maybe the few 4K channels which Dish doesn't have.

As far as PQ, people have said that Directv has better HD, but Dish has better SD. Ever since I got the Hopper 3, the SD channels have looked way better in terms of picture quality. Watching Buzzr in SD on my 60" TV looks perfectly fine. And honestly, I'm not much of a stickler in terms of comparing HD feeds, so they look fine to me as well.

The main negative with Dish right now is the recording issues that have resulted as of the switch in guide providers from Gracenote to Rovi. Aside from having to manually set recordings and check the timers every day or two to make sure your programs are in fact being recorded, Dish is still leaps and bounds ahead of Directv. Hardware-wise, you've got the 16 tuners, plus PTAT, which alone solves many recording conflicts in and of itself. Software-wise, compare the program guide and the UI for the H3 with Directv's old-fashioned text-based guide that they've been using since 2013, and you won't ever want to switch back.

Even with the recording issues right now, Dish is still way ahead of Directv, and until AT&T comes out with a receiver equivalent to the H3 in terms of tuners, with an updated UI that's not just 90% text-based, it's kind of hard to justify going with them. Unless you really love sports and the 4K content... but even then, after you've used the H3 for a few weeks, you won't want to go back, seeing the difference.

I'll admit the recording timer issues have me a bit concerned. The boss lady would probably throw me out on my ear if that happened. lol :)

Unless a better deal comes up this month, I'm going to wait until August when she's out of town for a week. lol :) It'll be able to get everything up and running and to make sure everything is working as attended.

Does Dish still give 30 days refund, no questions asked, etc.. etc.. ? just in case?

Another few questions for the great folks here. :) Thanks everyone!

I found out I'll need the Eastern arc dish, 1000.4 I believe? Which I believe works with the Hopper 3 now? Live in the Quad Cities (Bettendorf, Davenport, IA)
If the Eastern arc is what I need, I only have 1 spot that will really work, it's on the back corner of the house. The one potential problem is will the overhang of the house disrupt the signal, with a pole mount? I have the ability to lower the dish anywhere from 3' to 6' in this spot.

_______ right here would where I could put the dish. With the normal overhang from the roof in front of the dish.
|
|

1000.2 EA Dish. Alright. Thanks for the information.

Does the roof overhang interfere with anything, since this is the only spot I really have?

Looks like end of August I'll make the switch, unless AT&T surprises everyone and has more tuners than 7 on the HS17. If they had 15 tuners one could actually use, I'd probably stay.

It seems that a few people are still having problems with recording, guide times, etc.. as well on Dish. Hopefully that is completely solved in the next month. :)

As long as the overhang does not cover the antenna, you should be fine. Think of the antenna like a mirror. Is the overhang in the reflection?

As long as the overhang does not cover the antenna, you should be fine. Think of the antenna like a mirror. Is the overhang in the reflection?

Thanks for the replies. :)

I used one of those apps on my Ipad. Seems the overhang/eave/soffit, is in the picture at the very top. Maybe 10% of the picture on the app.

Thanks again!

Made the order today. Install will be on the 31st since I'll be busy until then.

Trying to order Dish though... wow. I ordered online, thought I had everything correct with 1 Hopper 3 a 4k Joey and then 3 Joey. Hit the order button, and ooops. Sends me an e-mail saying I got a Hopper with sling, a Super Joey and 3 Joey. What?!?
Went online.. 1st person tried to help but then stated I owed $100+ today instead of the $50 is gave online. I stated that, said to call customer loyalty.
Got a great guy from Denver, redid everything. Perhaps I hit a wrong button originally, but I was pretty sure it stated Hopper 3 when I hit "agreed"... :shrugs:

The 16 tuners on the Hopper 3 is going to be great! :)

1000.2 EA Dish. Alright. Thanks for the information.

Does the roof overhang interfere with anything, since this is the only spot I really have?

Looks like end of August I'll make the switch, unless AT&T surprises everyone and has more tuners than 7 on the HS17. If they had 15 tuners one could actually use, I'd probably stay.

It seems that a few people are still having problems with recording, guide times, etc.. as well on Dish. Hopefully that is completely solved in the next month. :)

Well, technically, the HS17 does have 15 tuners, but you can only use 7 right now. FWIW: I have pretty much made the same decision you have. The difference for me is I do not have a usable LOS for DirecTV at my new house, so DISH is the only satellite option for me. Charter and AT&T Fiber U-verse are options, but they don't really compare to Dish and the Hopper3. I haven't ordered just yet. Please let us know how your install goes.

Well, technically, the HS17 does have 15 tuners, but you can only use 7 right now. I haven't ordered just yet. Please let us know how your install goes.

You would think AT&T would get on the ball with this. They don't need to come out with 16 tuners like the H3, but at the very least there should be 10 usable tuners available, so that even with multiple TVs being used, there's still more than enough spare tuners to solve recording conflicts. Not sure what they're waiting for, unless they plan to release a newer Genie and an updated version of the guide UI for late 2018 or even sometime in 2019 (though that would make it close to almost 3 years after Dish released the H3, which is really slow from a competitive standpoint).

I think that the 16 tuners in and of itself is the main reason to go with Dish. Either have great credit and get it on a 2-yr term, or just buy it outright if you can afford it, but in any case, the fact there's no recording conflicts is basically the advantage here.

Reactions: charlesrshell
You would think AT&T would get on the ball with this. They don't need to come out with 16 tuners like the H3, but at the very least there should be 10 usable tuners available, so that even with multiple TVs being used, there's still more than enough spare tuners to solve recording conflicts. Not sure what they're waiting for, unless they plan to release a newer Genie and an updated version of the guide UI for late 2018 or even sometime in 2019 (though that would make it close to almost 3 years after Dish released the H3, which is really slow from a competitive standpoint).

I think that the 16 tuners in and of itself is the main reason to go with Dish. Either have great credit and get it on a 2-yr term, or just buy it outright if you can afford it, but in any case, the fact there's no recording conflicts is basically the advantage here.

Well, AT&T is doing somewhat of a software re-write, so the experience is the "same" on all their platforms (DirecTV, U-verse, D* Now, etc). Perhaps the additional tuners will get activated as part of that update.

Just hope the spot I have for the mount actually works. The soffit/overhang of the roof might interfere a bit. Though I'm thinking they could lower the height of the pole mount a bit to compensate.

I've been told that the dish can't be seen from the windows when looking out by the boss lady. lol... so this spot is about it. lol... Though the spot I have picked out, can KIND of be seen from a window if you look at a certain angle. Might plant a bush or something that grows about 5 foot tall or so to cover that view. :) Shhhhhhh... don't tell the boss lady. :)

Reactions: pattykay
Coming up to less than 48 hours away from install time. Is there anything I should be made aware of before hand?

Tips, tricks, etc... ?? Anything I should ensure installer does or doesn't do? Getting the Hopper 3. 1 4k Joey. 3 Joey.
Eastern arc, pole mounted.

Thanks to everyone for your help. :) I'm sure I'll have a few more questions/comments after the install.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)