AT&T To Shut Down UVERSE after DIRECTV Merger?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Fastest uverse (or any internet for that matter besides LTE) offered at my location is 18mbps, which is what I have. It is honestly more than sufficient for my streaming of any kind, but occasionally Ill see a buffer if the wife and kid are also streaming.

I do wish they would offer the faster speeds, but considering that they just turned on what I have a year ago, I am doubting if an upgrade on their part is in the works.

Our local cable company max out at 10mbps, but they were recently bought out and upgrades are promised, but we all know how that goes.

For now, my best hope for higher speeds is Cspire and their fiber to the home project. I know the fiber is there as they have been laying it statewide for some time, and the new line is across the road from my home. However, it is likely a few years off as they are building up other neighborhoods and towns before us. Will be 1 gb speeds and tv service though. http://www.cspire.com/home-services/

Pretty decent price structure they are offering.

Fastest uverse (or any internet for that matter besides LTE) offered at my location is 18mbps, which is what I have. It is honestly more than sufficient for my streaming of any kind, but occasionally Ill see a buffer if the wife and kid are also streaming.

I do wish they would offer the faster speeds, but considering that they just turned on what I have a year ago, I am doubting if an upgrade on their part is in the works.

Our local cable company max out at 10mbps, but they were recently bought out and upgrades are promised, but we all know how that goes.

For now, my best hope for higher speeds is Cspire and their fiber to the home project. I know the fiber is there as they have been laying it statewide for some time, and the new line is across the road from my home. However, it is likely a few years off as they are building up other neighborhoods and towns before us. Will be 1 gb speeds and tv service though. http://www.cspire.com/home-services/

Pretty decent price structure they are offering.
ATT will be offering higher speeds in your area, if they are now at 18, they will be moving up to 24-32 next, they will require a newer modem/gateway whatever they are calling it this time around.
The speeds will go considerably faster once your area starts using pair bonding.

Reactions: bamasat
ATT will be offering higher speeds in your area, if they are now at 18, they will be moving up to 24-32 next, they will require a newer modem/gateway whatever they are calling it this time around.
The speeds will go considerably faster once your area starts using pair bonding.
I know I have seen them working at the VRAD alot the past month, but that may have nothing to do with what you are saying here.

The problem AT&T will be facing if they don't start deploying fiber is that as you add more VDSL lines to an F2 bundle (that's that big fat cable on the pole or buried in the ground) your SNR margins take a major hit due to increased crosstalk between the lines. Every time you add another VDSL loop to a cable you add noise to adjacent lines which reduces the SNR which reduces the overall data carrying capacity of all lines in the F2 bundle.

Right now, even with pair bonding and the new 17 MHz profiles that AT&T is pushing out the distance increase will only be marginal at best. As you increase your distance your ability to use higher frequency ranges drop off quickly as you extend past 2500 feet. I have seen this myself on people's lines while helping people (I don't work for AT&T) over at DSLReports.com. I have seen more than my share of a bitsloading graph to tell how badly a line can degrade in data carrying capacity as the loop length increases past 2500 feet. This is simple physics, we can't break the laws of physics.

More than likely (85% likelihood) AT&T will shut down the uVerse TV side of the house and transition everyone over to DirecTV to free up much needed bandwidth on their already at capacity VDSL lines to make room for more Internet bandwidth. As for FTTH/FTTP, don't hold your breath; you're going to asphyxiate yourself before that FTTH comes within even a mile of your house. Any and all news about FTTP coming out of AT&T is what Karl Bode over at DSLReports refers to as Fiber to the Press Release. Mark my words, only the more rich parts of the city will see FTTP; anyone else will be lucky to see 45 Mbps if they are lucky enough to have a VRAD as their next door neighbor. It really all comes down to ROI or Return on Investment. AT&T doesn't see any money in upgrading the middle class areas and will only deploy FTTP to the areas that have those mini-mansions that you see in the suburbs. The rest of us will be slaves to the cable companies.

My 24meg address just went 45 meg officially & per the website)
Fiber going in all day every day here also.

Reactions: Jimbo
The problem AT&T will be facing if they don't start deploying fiber is that as you add more VDSL lines to an F2 bundle (that's that big fat cable on the pole or buried in the ground) your SNR margins take a major hit due to increased crosstalk between the lines. Every time you add another VDSL loop to a cable you add noise to adjacent lines which reduces the SNR which reduces the overall data carrying capacity of all lines in the F2 bundle.

Right now, even with pair bonding and the new 17 MHz profiles that AT&T is pushing out the distance increase will only be marginal at best. As you increase your distance your ability to use higher frequency ranges drop off quickly as you extend past 2500 feet. I have seen this myself on people's lines while helping people (I don't work for AT&T) over at DSLReports.com. I have seen more than my share of a bitsloading graph to tell how badly a line can degrade in data carrying capacity as the loop length increases past 2500 feet. This is simple physics, we can't break the laws of physics.

More than likely (85% likelihood) AT&T will shut down the uVerse TV side of the house and transition everyone over to DirecTV to free up much needed bandwidth on their already at capacity VDSL lines to make room for more Internet bandwidth. As for FTTH/FTTP, don't hold your breath; you're going to asphyxiate yourself before that FTTH comes within even a mile of your house. Any and all news about FTTP coming out of AT&T is what Karl Bode over at DSLReports refers to as Fiber to the Press Release. Mark my words, only the more rich parts of the city will see FTTP; anyone else will be lucky to see 45 Mbps if they are lucky enough to have a VRAD as their next door neighbor. It really all comes down to ROI or Return on Investment. AT&T doesn't see any money in upgrading the middle class areas and will only deploy FTTP to the areas that have those mini-mansions that you see in the suburbs. The rest of us will be slaves to the cable companies.
Fiber to the Home is going in MANY (most) new developments.

And your quote of lucky to see 45 mbps has been surpassed a long time ago ...
3 years ago I was seeing 75 mbps with pair bonding.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts