AT&T To Shut Down UVERSE after DIRECTV Merger?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

My first inclination is to take anything that CBS says -- they happen to be the content provider trying to get an agreement with AT&T nailed down -- with a very large grain of salt.

Also, AT&T has spent a nice sum of money upgrading their IP infrastructure to handle U-verse, which would be a point to me of continuing to maintain it. Secondly and related, remember that AT&T has no other way to provide broadband services without landlines (I'm not going to debate sat Internet, due to latency issues).

What I would expect to see is potential deals for current subscribers -- if only bundles and what not -- as a result of the merger. Since AT&T wants all of their customers to view any video content on any device in any situation, they're going to have to leverage both wireless and wire-line to accommodate this vision.

Disclosure: I'm a DirecTV and AT&T wireless subscriber; long T

That makes me almost want to go to Dish. I left DirecTV because of my HOA Gestapo (I had DirecTV for 10yrs) they came around and told us we had to remove the satellite dish. Got tired of their BS took the dish down. Went to Att U-Verse They suck worse than Cox Cable.

Reactions: Vroom Vroom
I suspect it has more to do with fighting to get the merger done than intentionally ignoring the carriage contract negotiations.

I can't imagine that DIRECTV could take over U-verse customers through their current contracts.

Reactions: w6pea
As stated in the linked article:

Responding to WSJ, AT&T executives said CBS's concerns amount to nothing more than posturing in a complicated licensing negotiation.

In May 2014, AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson told analysts he didn't see DirecTV "displacing our fiber-fed video product in our U-Verse footprint."

That makes me almost want to go to Dish. I left DirecTV because of my HOA Gestapo (I had DirecTV for 10yrs) they came around and told us we had to remove the satellite dish. Got tired of their BS took the dish down. Went to Att U-Verse They suck worse than Cox Cable.

You should have given the them a copy of the rules from the FCC about sat dishes and then politely said stop bugging me. (Assuming the rules are met). No hoa in the country can keep you from putting up a sat dish on your property if it's not common area. And if you already had it up... I don't get giving up a good service for bad because of an hoa thinking they can control everything at their will. The FCC would even send them a notice if you filled a complaint...

When I wanted to put up my Ham Radio antenna, I took the FCC rules to them. Their Lawyer said that I was considered an Emergency communications station. He said I could put up an antenna up to 200ft. without having to apply for a permit. I put my Ham antenna up. As a matter of fact I have 2 of them, on my balcony. I made a complaint about something that the HOA did, in 72 hrs. I had a letter telling me I had to take my Satellite dish down. I told them they could stick it. I still have not taken down my Amateur Radio Antennas, just my DirecTv dish. In the next few months we are going to move to Arizona so when I move there I put my Satellite TV Antennas up again.

I don't see them shutting down uverse. I see them renaming it to directv wired or something...
That wouldn't be appropriate as they're trying to give the public the impression that their network is built on fiber and 4G. Dishless or terrestrial might be more appropriate.

That wouldn't be appropriate as they're trying to give the public the impression that their network is built on fiber and 4G. Dishless or terrestrial might be more appropriate.
Care to explain or is this just another FUD post?

Care to explain or is this just another FUD post?
Your use of the term FUD in this context (and most other contexts as well) suggests that you don't know what it means (doubtful) or you don't have a thoughtful rebuttal and feel the need to lash out.

AT&T still uses considerable copper in many of their installations but they don't like to talk about it. They're perfectly happy letting potential customers believe that their product is entirely Gigabit FTTH (that they do offer in a few markets) as opposed to a fairly good-sized chunk of their population (25% according to a The Verge article about the new definition of "Broadband Internet") that is getting service that doesn't qualify under the FCC's latest definition of "broadband" (25 down/3 up). Note that this figure is just the DSL customers and doesn't include wireless customers.

Your use of the term FUD in this context (and most other contexts as well) suggests that you don't know what it means (doubtful) or you don't have a thoughtful rebuttal and feel the need to lash out.

AT&T still uses considerable copper in many of their installations but they don't like to talk about it. They're perfectly happy letting potential customers believe that their product is entirely Gigabit FTTH (that they do offer in a few markets) as opposed to a fairly good-sized chunk of their population (25% according to a The Verge article about the new definition of "Broadband Internet") that is getting service that doesn't qualify under the FCC's latest definition of "broadband" (25 down/3 up). Note that this figure is just the DSL customers and doesn't include wireless customers.

I use the term FUD, and yes I know what it means, because you are constantly bashing Directv, and now AT&T's Uverse, even though you aren't a customer, at least not of Directv. I haven't read anywhere that AT&T claims Uverse to be FTTH, but it certainly is FTTN, which means it is built on fiber, which you erroneously claim it isn't. I generally don't "lash out" until you post something vague about Directv, insinuating that they are somehow doing something wrong when they aren't, even though you don't have a horse in the race. You obviously have a hair up your butt about them, and your rantings are getting tiresome.

I don't think the Fiber to the HOME is brought up all that much ... ATT DOES have FTTH in NEW Construction areas, but most others are fiber to the VRAD. if your on U Verse.

The remaining portion after the Vrad is in fact copper, witch goes out to about a mile.

I use the term FUD, and yes I know what it means, because you are constantly bashing Directv, and now AT&T's Uverse, even though you aren't a customer, at least not of Directv. I haven't read anywhere that AT&T claims Uverse to be FTTH, but it certainly is FTTN, which means it is built on fiber, which you erroneously claim it isn't. I generally don't "lash out" until you post something vague about Directv, insinuating that they are somehow doing something wrong when they aren't, even though you don't have a horse in the race. You obviously have a hair up your butt about them, and your rantings are getting tiresome.
Your FTTN (node), as for the Node, where is the Node in your thinking ?
To me when someone says FTT(Node), I think the terminal in the back yards, in reality, the Fiber ends at the Vrad in most cases.

Your FTTN (node), as for the Node, where is the Node in your thinking ?
To me when someone says FTT(Node), I think the terminal in the back yards, in reality, the Fiber ends at the Vrad in most cases.
Yes, with UVerse the VRAD is the node. From what I have been told, some areas have fiber from the VRAD, but not many.

Yes, with UVerse the VRAD is the node. From what I have been told, some areas have fiber from the VRAD, but not many.
The VRAD is the brains of the operation.
Take out the VRAD and people in the neighborhood will be screaming !
Keep in mind that does the TV as well as the Internet.

Think of the Vrad like a DIRECTV Genie (but on a bigger scale) that is where the signal is received and sent out to the clients.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)