AT&T U-verse launches in the SF Bay Area

Another dealbreaker, in addition to no FSBA if that's the case, is the inability to record/watch 2 HD streams at once. That's ridiculous. How could they design a system with such a limitation?

I do think that FSBA/CSW will probably be part of the base packages, at least U200 and up. They seem to want to at least match what Comcast offers. Heck, they even matched their stupid numbering scheme for local channels. I still can't believe they did that instead of using the OTA numbers.

EDIT: Re-checking their channel guide, I see they don't offer KRON-HD, KQED-HD, or any of the local digital sub-channels. That's weird. Plus, on the one hand, their numbering scheme (other than for locals) makes sense, with news, sports, music, kids, and most educational channels being grouped together. But, the entertainment, lifestyle, and some educational channels are kind of haphazardly arranged, sometimes grouped together in small handfuls, but otherwise spread around randomly. Weird.

Last edited:
I read at AVSForums.com that KRON-HD has stopped their HD programming as of yesterday. I can get everything else but KRON-HD OTA so I don't know if it's true. But yeah KQED-HD should be in their lineup.

I read somewhere that they will make 2 HD streams available later this year, so they're at least working on that.

I'll have to check KRON when I get home. U-Verse should at least carry KQED-HD, and its digital sub-channels. Actually, I'll bet a lot of people find the other local sub-channels useful for news and weather, as well.

Do you know if their source is direct feeds from the local broadcasters, digital OTA reception, or even analog OTA reception? I've heard varying reports of local channel quality in reviews of U-Verse from other markets.

Another dealbreaker, in addition to no FSBA if that's the case, is the inability to record/watch 2 HD streams at once. That's ridiculous. How could they design a system with such a limitation?

I do think that FSBA/CSW will probably be part of the base packages, at least U200 and up. They seem to want to at least match what Comcast offers. Heck, they even matched their stupid numbering scheme for local channels. I still can't believe they did that instead of using the OTA numbers.

Regardless of what package FSNBA shows up in, the lack of FSNBA-HD and inability to record 2 HD streams at once is a complete dealbreaker for me, even if I am going to save money.

I'll reluctantly pay more cash as long as I keep FSNBA-HD and can record two shows that are in HD at the same time without choosing one to make an SD sacrifice (f*** that)

I'll have to check KRON when I get home. U-Verse should at least carry KQED-HD, and its digital sub-channels. Actually, I'll bet a lot of people find the other local sub-channels useful for news and weather, as well.

Do you know if their source is direct feeds from the local broadcasters, digital OTA reception, or even analog OTA reception? I've heard varying reports of local channel quality in reviews of U-Verse from other markets.

Oh, I got to have KQED-Kids or my daughter will kill me.:) I do get it with OTA but it would be nice to have it. A friend of mine just called and he said that Uverse will be available in his area next week. Are they moving that fast? Don't know.

I don't really know their source for the HD local channels. I posted the question in the uverseusers forum. There are a couple of engineers and some installers that post there, maybe someone will know.

Regardless of what package FSNBA shows up in, the lack of FSNBA-HD and inability to record 2 HD streams at once is a complete dealbreaker for me, even if I am going to save money.

I'll reluctantly pay more cash as long as I keep FSNBA-HD and can record two shows that are in HD at the same time without choosing one to make an SD sacrifice (f*** that)
I'm sure they'll have FSNBA and CSW HD broadcasts. But, I'm concerned about this dual-HD problem, and will not be interested in their service until they overcome that issue.

Someone answered the question at uverseusers.com:

"AT&T is currently getting the local channels in San Antonio via the digital HD signal over the air with the analog signal as a backup. Eventually all of the local channels will be fed to AT&T over a direct fiber link."

Just got off the phone with someone in San Antonio. I asked him about how many receivers you can have and he said 6. The extra receiver fee is $5.00. He also said that they will go up to 8 receivers in the future.

HD Locals quality, he said he had Dish Network before and the quality looks basically the same as E*. He said the HD channels were all 1080i.

He talked about being able to record 4 shows at the same time, I even asked him to repeat how many. I doubt it but we'll see.

He didn't have any date on when it will be available in the area. There is a 60 days period where you can cancel if you want.

My friend called back this morning and the girl he spoke to yesterday was just BS about being available next week. No time frame yet.

And here is the number for Uverse: 866-648-8801. It took them like 15 minutes to find me a number to call.

The ability to record 4 shows at once seems to be gtrue. But, it is 4 SD shows. So far, Verizon's FiOS sounds much better than ATT's U-Verse. So, now, it's not just the food that's better in NY. It's the IPTV, as well. ;)

Doesn't it just irritate you that we live in Silicon Valley, supposed tech capital of the world, yet Verizon hasn't said a word about brining FiOS here?

It really bothers me. :mad:

"So, now, it's not just the food that's better in NY"

Sure about that? :) We do have pretty good food from all over the world around here. But never been to NY so I can't really say much. My cousin from New York stayed with us during Thanksgiving and said the food was pretty good here.

FIOS is a better choice but like pappy said Verizon hasn't even mentioned the Bay Area.

Until a few years ago, most of San Jose was stuck on a primative A/B system. It started getting updated when Comcast took over.

Doesn't it just irritate you that we live in Silicon Valley, supposed tech capital of the world, yet Verizon hasn't said a word about brining FiOS here?

It really bothers me. :mad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts