I had the opportunity to view the new At&t u-verse website earlier this week. These are my initial observations, concerns/questions:
1. What does the dvr look like front and back? There needs to be physical pictures of the product front and back, video demos of the epg, interactive services, IPTV services, etc... The consumer needs more detailed information about At&t u-verse and how it operates to determine whether or not they want to give the product a chance. As presently constituted, the u-verse website is incomplete and needs more detail.
2. The Scientific Atlanta dvr selected for u-verse needs to be mpeg-2, 4 and 7 compliant and w/o DRM. In addition the dvr MUST BE modular and MUST HAVE @ least two to three TB of hard drive space to differentiate itself from its competitors. Also, the dvr MUST be able to record @ least six to12 SD/hd streams while playing back one or more recorded streams.
3. The elite internet package has ONLY 6 MBPS UP/1MBP DOWN?!? YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!! THAT is a dealbreaker and an insult to all consumers who will be serviced By AT&T in the near future!! MR. WHITCARE, if you want AT&T U-verse to succeed and stand out from the pack, the number of channels offered and the internet speeds should take quantum leaps as follows:
A. u-verse 1,250 basic w/ 1, 250 SD/hd channels, voip, Cingular nationwide phone service and 100 mbps up & down internet @ approx. $200/month
B. u-verse 2, 500 premium w/ 2, 500 SD/hd channels, voip, Cingular and 500 mbps up and down internet @ about $225/month
C. u-verse 5,000 elite w/ 5, 000 SD/hd channels, voip, Cingular and 1 GB up and down internet @ $250/month
4. AT&T needs to scrap their FT TN... NOW!!! Future IPTV/Internet applications will require far MORE bandwith than the approx. 40 mbps U-verse is considering for Lightspeed. Moreover, for their future ideas to take shape, AT&T needs to install FT TH everywhere w/ switched digital video, and an mpeg-2, 4 and 7 compatible open source dvr w/ hd-dvd/blue-ray player/recorder AND W/O DRM. Also, all copper phone lines must be removed and replaced w/ fiber. FT TH is the future of all TV.
5. Make the site public; show us your full plan; also, take AND IMPLEMENT feedback from your future consumers.