AT&T Wages Quiet War on Grandfathered Unlimited Users

mike123abc said:
Over on DSL reports there seems to be indications that it depends where you are in the country as to where AT&T throttles you. Some areas do not seem to see any limit, other areas get hit at 2GB, 3GB, 5GB, 10GB, etc. So, it could be that they have been cranking down the cap in areas that are overloaded.

That is the most business explanation. If they have the bandwidth they won't mess with a paying customer. But when people start complaining of dropped calls they will dump one hog in favor of dozens of POed customers every time.

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive using SatelliteGuys

They say that the phone requests a second IP address for tethering and that is how they detect it.

I think though that custom roms have a way of hiding that, because I've tethered enough times that I should have been thrown off my unlimited plan way back when FroYo came out. I think AT&T focused more on iPhone tethering because so many people had them and AT&T's Android selection was s**t, but since the release of the Samsung Galaxy series and subsequent explosion of Android phones on the platform, Android tether watching is bound to increase..

Again, like I have been saying

What's surprising people like Trang is how little data use it takes to reach that level — sometimes less that AT&T gives people on its "limited" plans.

Trang's iPhone was throttled just two weeks into his billing cycle, after he'd consumed 2.3 gigabytes of data. He pays $30 per month for "unlimited" data. Meanwhile, Dallas-based AT&T now sells a limited, or "tiered," plan that provides 3 gigabytes of data for the same price.

Users report that if they call the company to ask or complain about the throttling, AT&T customer support representatives suggest they switch to the limited plan.
This is why I do not believe that 2GB is really the top 5%. It is just below a more expensive limited plan. I believe the whole point of throttling is to force people to pay more for less.

Think about it. He switches to the 3GB plan and still uses 2.5GB, so he is still considered part of the top 5%, and they mysteriously no longer have congestion issues because these 2.5GB users are on a different plan?

That's because AT&T only throttles users in areas where the wireless network is congested that month, Siegel said.
So if he were on a different plan but still used the same amount he would not be throttled? Does that still address the congestion issue?

I think they throttle in areas where competition is not that great and throttle only those whom are still under contract and cannot leave to another provider. I have been warned myself but have never been throttled and some months will go over 5GB. They know if they throttle me I will just go over the Sprint. I will be willing to bet anyone that if I get a new phone and am placed under a 2 year contract that I will suddenly become throttled for using the same amount of data I have always used. That is because I no longer have leverage.

It is about getting rid of the grandfathered plans, plain and simple. I would just wish they were honest about it. I would love to see an actual normalized graph of data usage to see where the standard score for the top 5% really lies.

Last edited:
blurb from AT&T Doubles Phone Upgrade Fee - On Heels of Numerous Other Hikes... | DSLReports.com, ISP Information

AT&T's been busy showing lately that wireless sector "competition" isn't all it's cracked up to be, and why the carrier has a bad reputation in some quarters. The company recently decided to eliminate their $10 SMS plan in order to push all users to their unlimited $20 SMS plan, impose new fees on users who don't use enough long distance, jack up prices on wireless data, and wage a quiet war against grandfathered unlimited data users. Now the company says they're doubling their handset upgrade fee to $36. "Wireless devices today are more sophisticated than ever before, and because of that the costs associated with upgrading to a new device have increased and is reflected in our new upgrade fee,” says the company. This fee isn’t unique to AT&T and this is the first time we’re changing it in nearly 10 years." Verizon charges no such fee, while T-Mobile charges $18 and Sprint also charges $36.

Looks like AT&T is going to cover their breakup fee by feeing to death their customers...

Right, the browser doesn't prove Jack.

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive using SatelliteGuys

Hmm? When I request a webpage the server sees this:
[FONT=Helvetica, Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT] Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/535.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/18.0.1025.11 Safari/535.19

When an iPhone does it, it looks like something similar to this:

Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1A543a Safari/419.3

Hmm? When I request a webpage the server sees this:
[FONT=Helvetica, Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT] Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/535.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/18.0.1025.11 Safari/535.19

When an iPhone does it, it looks like something similar to this:

Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1A543a Safari/419.3

User agents can be changed on all systems.
How to change iPhone browser user agent

I think that AT&T will likely (hopefully) respond by throttling down to EDGE speeds, similar to what T-Mobile does. Throttling the speed down to unusable levels I think qualifies as bad business practices.

I think that AT&T will likely (hopefully) respond by throttling down to EDGE speeds, similar to what T-Mobile does. Throttling the speed down to unusable levels I think qualifies as bad business practices.
EDGE speeds are USABLE????? Not anymore.

EDGE speeds are USABLE????? Not anymore.

It's better than what they're doing currently. And EDGE isn't THAT bad. I'm able to stream SiriusXM on my phone with a good EDGE connection. Sure it sucks when compared to 3G, but it will at least get you by. They're slowing users down to like GPRS speeds, which is simply unacceptable. They shouldn't be throttling you down to a speed that is similar to what you'd get on an old Palm Pilot phone.

I just got my free text message "ATT Free Msg: Your data usage is among the top 5% of users. Data speeds for this bill cycle may be reduced. Visit www.att.com/dataplans or call 8663447584."....now i am getting 14 k download and 800 k upload over 3G,

It was 2100 K down and 900k up.

This is ridiculous.

I am an old customer. I had att when they were att , then cingular, now back to att , 9-10 years of service.

This is what I get for all those years - punished because I am an old unlimited data customer. This is like a bad marriage, i am moving on.

My iphone 4 will make a nice ipod touch.
I will never again as long as i live sign an agreement with a wireless carrier.

i am not under contract currently.

Virgin mobile looks good right now.
If they throttle that, who cares....45.00 per month 1200 monutes, unlimited texts and data.

I used 2.1 GB according to my online account.
Oh well, i had my number ported to Virgin Mobile 45.00 per month plan with 1200 min, unlimited text, unlimited data up to 2.5 Gb- then you are slowed to 256k. I do not care about data throttling at 45.00 per month but i do care when i am paying nearly 115.00 per month to att

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts