AT&T's EchoStar Pursuit Cools

iceondsom

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 1, 2005
AT&T's EchoStar Pursuit Cools (TheStreet.com)

AT&T's hot pursuit of EchoStar cooled suddenly last week as investors took a chilly view of the deal, but the talks continue.

The phone giant's board of directors grew concerned last week over the stock market's reaction to reports that the company was closing in on a bid between $64 and $68 a share for EchoStar, says a source familiar with AT&T's plans.

AT&T shares fell $1.80, or 4%, last Monday after TheStreet.com reported that the company was nearing a $29.5 billion deal for EchoStar. Since the discussions were first reported on Sept. 27, AT&T shares have fallen 12%.

But the deal isn't dead, say people close to both companies.

"Conversations are still going on," says another source familiar with the EchoStar side of the discussions. And the two sides are still talking of a price somewhere in the $60 range, the source adds.

AT&T had hoped to wrap up the deal with the Dish network broadcaster last week, but the phone company's board eased up a bit given the lack of investor enthusiasm. As one source said: "AT&T is digesting it."

Representatives for AT&T and EchoStar said the companies had no comment.

"From what I understand, it is still happening, just not as fast as expected," says another source who has talked to people close to the discussions.

Longtime AT&T watchers say the company has made up its mind to do the deal, noting that Ma Bell almost never gets this far without following through on a strategic move.

EchoStar's Dish network would give AT&T a national video offering, taking the telecom company well outside its largely Southwestern-focused markets. It would also acquire the video expertise and programming agreements necessary to operate on a national level.

Under AT&T, EchoStar's rising customer defection rate or churn would likely decline as the big telco makes it a prime element of its service bundle, industry observers say.

AT&T shares recently were unchanged at $37.63, while EchoStar shares were down $1 to $40.85.

(TheStreet.com)

Funny another article I read today says that DISH and ATT are not even talking at all that the whole deal might fail due to Charlie Ergen not wanting to let go control of the company he has run since 1980. IN fact they said that although common ground exists with the two companies , the more you negotiate with Charlie Ergen the less common ground exists. That article quoted three different new sources including the Wall Street Journal.

Funny another article I read today says that DISH and ATT are not even talking at all that the whole deal might fail due to Charlie Ergen not wanting to let go control of the company he has run since 1980. IN fact they said that although common ground exists with the two companies , the more you negotiate with Charlie Ergen the less common ground exists. That article quoted three different new sources including the Wall Street Journal.

I've learned to just wait until they announce that a deal has been struck and the signatures inked. I don't believe in speculative prose. :D

I wish they would do something, because just like when there was talk of a merger between DISH and DIRECTV, DIRECTV sat on their ass for a year and did nothing while DISH went crazy installing new systems!

Now we got DISH sitting on their ass not adding any new HD or offering any real promotions due the talk of this merger or buyout!

I wish they would do something, because just like when there was talk of a merger between DISH and DIRECTV, DIRECTV sat on their ass for a year and did nothing while DISH went crazy installing new systems!

Now we got DISH sitting on their ass not adding any new HD or offering any real promotions due the talk of this merger or buyout!

Claude. When Dish does a retailer chat. Is it a one way chat or do you get to ask questions. Does Dish even stay in touch with the retailers to get your thoughts on how things can run smoother for Dish or do they just look at the numbers. If Dish would talk to you guys and get your input , I think the company could run a lot better.

Claude. When Dish does a retailer chat. Is it a one way chat or do you get to ask questions. Does Dish even stay in touch with the retailers to get your thoughts on how things can run smoother for Dish or do they just look at the numbers. If Dish would talk to you guys and get your input , I think the company could run a lot better.

DISH does answer questions, both written or called in, during their retail chats. There is actually one this morning. Also, DISH holds Team Summit every year where any retailer can have unfettered access to DISH employees in every department and at every level all the way up to Charlie.

With the economy headed for a recession until the next election, AT&T is not going to buy E* until it hits rock bottom. Looks like we are back to square one with promises of things "coming soon." Hopefully, the two new satellites will make it to orbit, but with the way things are going I am not too optimistic they will make it off the ground this year or next.

Exactly, Unemployment lower than it has been in decades, need I go on?:D

What! better look up north. It's bad up here. Over 42,000 houses in forclosure in the Detroit area alone. There are areas in Ohio where whole blocks of houses are in forclosure.

The main story in the news almost every night is what company just layed off hundreds of employees.

Those are small pockets where the news media are calling "the sky is falling".

Hopefully this is a subconscious effort on the medias part to talk the country into a recession before the upcoming election and not a deliberate attempt to effect the outcome.

Last edited:
the economy is tanking were all in a sinking ship thats now riding low in the waves,

while some are enjoying the spray of water on their faces, from being so low.

it wouldnt be enjoyable when all they can breathe is water:(

Meanwhile the greatest indicator E will be sold is the lack of new news. no one spends big bucks on something they are selling off.

My first move the DAY AT&T takes over is to cancel service. the company ripped me off twice in the past, i wouldnt give them another chance.

my motto, live by the brand die by the brand.

they kill everything bought by that brand name

Anyone remember back in 1999 when the old AT&T purchased the TCI and MediaOne cable companies to form AT&T Broadband? And how they subsequently ran the operation in to the ground? I am not sure that this would be a good thing, in spite of the fact that this is not the same AT&T that did that deal 8 years ago.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts