Status
Please reply by conversation.

VettePilot

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2005
Garland, TX (Near Dallas)
Hello Everyone,
I have searched for this answer but was unable to find what I was looking for.
I have read that the mast and base are larger for the new AT9 dish but I was wondering if the bolt pattern was the same?
If I replace the 18" dish with the new AT9 dish will I have to drill new holes in the side of my house?
It's not really a big deal but I was just curious :D

The base is larger the pipe is larger and the hole patern is larger to distribute the stress more equally.

So has anyone actually measured the bolt pattern ...
I to am curious I am doing my homework early, MPEG 4 not available till later in summer, but I was considering placing a treated 4x4 along side of the house to get a bit more height (12' or so) and was also wondering if the bolt pattern will fit on the 4x4, before I go to the expense of buying and mounting it.

Jimbo

The current AT-9 dish uses a 2 inch pole. An optional monostut is available for extra support.
I plan to machine a few 1.66 ID x 2.00 OD actual inch adaptors to allow the AT-9 to fit on the standard mount. Additionally, a 1-5/8" muffler clamp using the supplied 5/16" nuts will fit perfectly onto SuperDish support struts. This would make a setup as strong as or even stronger than the AT-9 mount. I'd paint the bare metal tail pipe clamp with Rustoleum spray on cold galvanizing compound (Lowes).

If you make the adaptors, please include or at least request that your customers use the optional legs to make a tripod affair. The old mount cannot possibly hold up with the new 5 lnb dish, even with one monopole leg.
Bob
Mike500 said:
The current AT-9 dish uses a 2 inch pole. An optional monostut is available for extra support.
I plan to machine a few 1.66 ID x 2.00 OD actual inch adaptors to allow the AT-9 to fit on the standard mount. Additionally, a 1-5/8" muffler clamp using the supplied 5/16" nuts will fit perfectly onto SuperDish support struts. This would make a setup as strong as or even stronger than the AT-9 mount. I'd paint the bare metal tail pipe clamp with Rustoleum spray on cold galvanizing compound (Lowes).

The center of the holes are 4 1/2" apart side to side and 7 1/2" apart top to bottom.
The holes are 5/16" diameter. There is one hole in the exact center of the base and one in the center about 2" down from the top of the plate.
The pipe is 2" O.D. and has a bubble level inside.

Jimbos said:
So has anyone actually measured the bolt pattern ...
I to am curious I am doing my homework early, MPEG 4 not available till later in summer, but I was considering placing a treated 4x4 along side of the house to get a bit more height (12' or so) and was also wondering if the bolt pattern will fit on the 4x4, before I go to the expense of buying and mounting it.
Jimbo
I STRONGLY STRONGLY advise you not to use a wood 4 X 4 to mount the AT-9 dish. Use steel pipe, wood will expand and contract with changes in humidity. Wood will even twist, you are looking at a satellite that is about the size of a van 22,000 miles out in space. If Directv reruns the installation video on ch 592 watch it they explain how critical the tuning is for the Ka band.:)

Lynskyn said:
The center of the holes are 4 1/2" apart side to side and 7 1/2" apart top to bottom.
The holes are 5/16" diameter. There is one hole in the exact center of the base and one in the center about 2" down from the top of the plate.
The pipe is 2" O.D. and has a bubble level inside.

Thanks for the measurements. I have my current 3LNB dish mounted to the side of my brick house using RedHead masonry bolts and plan to use this same setup to mount the new dish when I get upgraded. I can now get my new bolds setup and ready for when the I get the install. :up

little dish guy said:
If you make the adaptors, please include or at least request that your customers use the optional legs to make a tripod affair. The old mount cannot possibly hold up with the new 5 lnb dish, even with one monopole leg.
Bob

Yes, I will not sell any adaptor without the struts. The old mount is capable of holding a 30 inch dish. This is what Winegard has been using for a 30 inch dish for years. The AT-9 has no struts and only optionally provides a monostrut. The SuperDish arms are the same ones that hold the SuperDish and even the DirecWay dishes. Many of the new SuperDishes, as well as DirecWay has small base mounts for only two screws or bolts, depending on the two struts that ultimately form a tetrahedron, which is one of the stongest geometric structures possible. A tetrahedron provides a rock solid mount. Having training an experience as a structual engineer, I'll tell you that DirecTW went cheap by not including struts.

For the information of people on this forum, there ARE 2 inch actual diameter SuperDish Type 1 mounts out there with the same mounting base hole pattern as the old mount.

Last edited:
Page 2 of the installation instructions for the AT9 shows that it comes with a single mast.

at9page2.png

There are apparently optional monopoles available which can be used in a pair for a tripod mount or as a single for a bipod mount. Which are shown here on page 5:

at9page5.png

It states: "Optional Monopoles are available and recommended for ALL installations.... hmmmm.

Last edited:
Does anyone know where you can get the "optional monopoles" All the dealers I have talked with are clueless..

pmayo said:
Does anyone know where you can get the "optional monopoles" All the dealers I have talked with are clueless..

Just use a set of Dish Network SuperDish supports. They are stronger than the Monopole. They have 2 inch adapters. You can get them off of eBay for about $12-15 a set delivered.

Boba you mention a steel pipe should be used for the install of the new 5lnb dish. I installed a 2 1/2 inch pipe in the ground and currently have the 3 LNB dish,will that work with the new 5 LNB dish? If not what diameter?

Please help with roof mount

I am looking where to start a new post, and I cannot find it.
BUT ... in about a week and a half, direcTV is coming to install a 5-LNB dish AT9 for us.
I would like it to go on our roof and I would like to have the best (safeset) and strongest materials for the installer.
Can someone give me suggestions as to what to have here and ready for the installer?

Status
Please reply by conversation.