AT9 in NY area

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PoitNarf

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 17, 2004
Northern NJ
Has anyone here in the NY metro area actually been contacted by D* to schedule an appointment to set up the new dish? I was under the impression by some of the posts I've read here that D* would contact HD subs to switch out their dish. I'm in no big rush as I've got an OTA picking up every local digital channel off the Empire State Building perfectly, but I'd like the new dish up and running before the new HD DVR or national HDs start broadcasting from the new sats.

It had been mentioned many times before (search), but not sure if anyone like Scott or Longhorn ever chimed in with an actual first-hand answer, but since ALL new installs are getting the AT9, I was assuming that the "we'll call you" was shelved.

long island mpeg4 install

Halstead communications installed my new 5lnb dish and h20 last thursday. I am in suffolk county on long island. The dish is huge and needed to be roof mounted. The h20 is a little slow to respond to remote control inputs as compared to the h10 it replaced.
just like all of you i want more hd, fios is on my block as is optonline. fios has not offered tv service in my town as of late. my locals now say channel 2,4,7,5 with the call sign wcbs, wnbc, wabc. i was told these are the mpeg4 hd locals. the picture looks the same no noticeable change in pic quality. lets hope i put my $ with d* for the right reasons and the hd soon becomes true pure hd. also i was charged $107 for the h20 and given a $100 credit- i have been a customer since way back.
-g

Hey Earthgess,

Fellow LIer here and I haven't heard anything from D* about getting the new equipment. I also am in no hurry to convert, but I do want to be ready in case they decide to spring all the new HD nationals in M4. I'm not receiving any OTA, but I get the NY Network feeds.

So, did D* contact you or did you contact them? How did that roof mount go of the behemoth dish? What town are you in that FIOS is on your block?

I contacted D* and got the H20 and installation of the AT9 for free. I get all my LIL HD OTA so didnt really need but I also want to be ready when something does come. My thought is the AT9 and MPEG4 will be needed for any regional sports in HD like MSN, NESN, YES, Fox NY, etc. I know YES was sporadicly in MPEG2 last year but that cant last forever.

I still have not heard from D* about upgrading yet either. I wish FIOS was available in eastern suffolk county but I'm sure thats a long way off. Things dont happen to quickly out here. When it is available, I'll be the first in line to sign up!

Earthgess,

Have you had any problems with your locals. I have sever posterization and blocking on CBS. There are minor artifacts on the other channels, but CBS is just not good at all. I'm not sure if the problem is my installation or D*.

5lnb in lake ronkonkoma

I am in lake ronkonkoma, FIOS was rolled out here just before Christmas. I called dtv so i could have the dish if new mpeg4 channels were released. The dish was roof mounted, i admit i am not a fan of mounting the dish on the roof. once the weather clears i will blackjack over the mounts as an extra precaution. The dish is really huge. I tried ota with the phase 3 dish but never got anything except spanish soccer on some channel in the 60's.

I have to admit when i first signed on for hd the picture was much sharper. lately its very down resolved, but once in a while it is true hd on discovery.
-g

Ronkonkoma as well. I have FIOS being installed in my home tomorrow. Of course it's only available for internet access right now but I'll be ready. I've been thinking about getting an over the air antenna but from what I've been able to determine I'll need an antenna the size of my house to pick up the OTA signal. Also right now I have my 3 LNB dish mounted on a tripod on my roof because of trees. When I get the new dish is this going to be a problem because of its size?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)