Atlanta HD Locals Pixelation

zer010gic

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2007
For some reason I keep getting Pixelation on my local HD here in the Atlanta area (coming from the sat). I checked my levels on each transponder and they all sit between 87-90 which makes me think that I have a good strong signal but I still get tearing, pixelation, and macro blocking. It seems to be most evident with motion. Its like there is not enough Key Frames but thats just a my theory and have no evidence. Any body else have an idea. All my other HD channels look great.

Corey

What channels are you seeing it on? I've seen in in the past on channel 11 (NBC), but I haven't really noticed too much of it lately.

What channels are you seeing it on? I've seen in in the past on channel 11 (NBC), but I haven't really noticed too much of it lately.

I have seen it on all of them (WAGA, has been the worst). My wife was watching American Idol last night and it was almost ridiculous how bad it was.

Corey

I haven't noticed any problems, but I'm still about a week behind on all my normal shows right now. I'll keep an eye out too and if I see anything I'll send an E-mail as well. Are you seeing it on DVR'd events too?

I am seeing it too. Just in the last few days. I can't go 5 minutes without seeing pixelation, and macro blocking on WAGA.

I'm seeing it on FOX and NBC. Watching House and the comedies on NBC this evening. Was about to re-aim my dish but the signal is around 70 and steady

I was just coming in here to start a thread about this as well. It's pretty bad on ABC. Its moderate on NBC. But I haven't seen it on CBS or FOX.

There are times when the ABC feed just drops out.

I DVR'd Lost on WSB-HD (Channel 2) Wednesday night. I started to watch the episode 10 minutes before it ended and noticed the screen was blank. I played around with it for a little while, and then went to the SD channel. The SD channel was showing the picture and sound, but the HD channel did not.

I don't know if this was a WSB issue or Dish Network issue.

I have been seeing macro blocking as well, mostly on Fox though.

I DVR'd Lost on WSB-HD (Channel 2) Wednesday night. I started to watch the episode 10 minutes before it ended and noticed the screen was blank. I played around with it for a little while, and then went to the SD channel. The SD channel was showing the picture and sound, but the HD channel did not.

I don't know if this was a WSB issue or Dish Network issue.

I have been seeing macro blocking as well, mostly on Fox though.

Here is the responce I got from dishquality@echostar.com

[FONT=&quot]Dear Mr. Layton,[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thank you for you email! We do have some good news for you and that is this is not your system. We are aware of this issue. We can see it here too. Our engineers are currently looking into this. We would be curious if you have the off-the-air signal? If so, can you see this issue there as well? What kind of picture quality issues are you seeing on the OTA? We had one report of dropping to black, have you seen our channels drop to black? [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]At DISH Network we appreciate the time customers take to email their audio/video quality concerns. Thank you for your patience and for being a valued customer.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]EchoStar Satellite LLC[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Quality Assurance Department[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]dishquality@echostar.com[/FONT]

My response was

[FONT=&quot]I do not have an ota antenna but my friend does and it was clear last night while mine was braking up. Also I did have a drop to black on abc during "Lost".

Corey
[/FONT]

I'm glad to have found this thread since I have been suffering from pixelation on my 129 recordings the past several days. I thought I might have to re-point the dish. Will wait now though...

I receive my locals both OTA and through Dish (thanks to Dish not offering program info w/out purchasing the locals). I have not noticed these issues OTA, only from 129.

I am not the only one!!!

We missed out on "Lost" because the screen was black the whole recording. ABC channel 2 is horrible with pixelation and the deadly green screen effect. It has gotten MUCH worse lately, not able to go a minute without seeing it again.

They need to figure it out, my wife was NOT happy to miss Lost.

I can tell you with certainty it is a DishNetwork problem. In comparing what DishNetwork delivers with OTA on the Atlanta locals, OTA has no problems. I have had an outdoor antenna for years, and only signed up for Locals to get the program guide for my 622.

I was going to call Dish on this same issue, but I get so tired of them saying "this is the first time we have been told this". I get rock solid pictures on my OTA, but the Sat pictures breakup all this time. I have checked on some of the other shows on 129 and it is only with the Atlanta HD that I can tell.

Well got a new email from DishQuality

" Dear Mr. Layton,

Thank you for your information. We would like to update you on your ATL HD locals. We were experiencing what we would call a single line or spot video tearing on all four channels. We have temporarily fixed this issue and are looking into a more long term solution.

We became aware last week that WAGA-FOX was dropping to black intermittently. The provider informed us they performed maintenance to correct. Let us know if your ABC station is still dropping to black.

The last issue that we are aware of mainly occurs on two channels WXIA-NBC and WSB-ABC. They have intermittent breakup/digitizing just about every half hour or so. We are currently collecting information on these two channels. So if you and your friend, who has the OTA HD, see the break-up/digitizing occurring on those two channels at the same time let us know. It would be a full screen break up and not the single line or spot video tearing. Your friend may even have the lighter version of what you are seeing at a later time.

Thanks again for the help and the information.

EchoStar Satellite LLC
Quality Assurance Department
dishquality@echostar.com"