Atlanta TV channels in nw Georgia

andy_horton

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 28, 2010
Northwest Georgia
Comcast shows CBS 46 news only in the mornings and evenings. Every other time is blacked out. We are closer to Chattanooga but I remember living in Ohio we lived the same distance from Columbus and received several stations from there all the time even though we were in the Huntington WV TV market. Why the difference? Is it a contractual thing? Thanks.

Sounds like you have a different CBS affiliate that claims to be your local CBS station. This is pretty much a contractual thing. Because you have a different affiliate, Comcast isn't allowed to show you the CBS programs from CBS 46 Atlanta, nor would CBS 46 be allowed to let that happen. CBS 46 is only licensed by CBS to show CBS programming within the Atlanta market. Usually, the markets are defined by Nielsen.

when you are on the outskirts of a market you may get more than one affiliate. But by law the "local" affiliate can ask for syndex which means if any program on that station is on a "distant" station, the distant has to be blacked out.

When I lived in Duluth, MN (the 1st time) we got KMSP out of Minneapolis (when it was UPN). But during the day it was blacked out because the judge/trash talk shows were on the locals (even though they were carried at like 2AM they still claimed syndex)

Reactions: andy_horton
One note also....if there are more than one of a network on cable there are examples where the distant one isn't blacked out (the local station didnt claim syndex). One crazy example is Mankato, MN
They are a 1 station market (CBS main, FOX sub). On cable they get CBS & FOX from Minneapolis. The CBS (WCCO) isnt blacked out BUT FOX (KMSP) is....but ONLY during prime time

In Northeastern Ct there are a couple of Boston networks not blacked out on Cable. (In addition to the Ct locals) At one time there was also a Providence RI local included.

looking at zap2it you also get the NBC from Atlanta too (218). Is that blacked out too?
NBC has been replaced with CBS 46 on channel 218 as well. We were getting NBC and then one day CBS 46 was on both channels. When NBC was on, it was blacked out too except for the news.

NBC has been replaced with CBS 46 on channel 218 as well. We were getting NBC and then one day CBS 46 was on both channels. When NBC was on, it was blacked out too except for the news.
It almost sounds like they are giving you those stations to get "state news" (since you're in Georgia)??

CBS46 Atlanta gets shown on Comcast in Chattanooga?...Back in the 80s,They used to get WAGA 5 on Cable when it was a CBS affiliate.Also WGNX 46 when it was Independent and the very early days of TBS when it was WTCG Channel 17,I wish I had a VCR in those Days because Chattanooga has had Cable since the Late 70's....

Reactions: andy_horton
CBS46 Atlanta gets shown on Comcast in Chattanooga?...Back in the 80s,They used to get WAGA 5 on Cable when it was a CBS affiliate.Also WGNX 46 when it was Independent and the very early days of TBS when it was WTCG Channel 17,I wish I had a VCR in those Days because Chattanooga has had Cable since the Late 70's....
Only the news gets shown. Not the network programming

Yeah Just Like in Colorado Springs,We used to get Denver's KCNC and KUSA during Local News but during the Afternoon soaps and at the 7-10pm hour,we would get a Black screen.Same goes for South Dayton with Fox19 WXIX and Local 12 WKRC from Cincinnati.Actually Time Warner there used to replace Fox Programming from Fox19 at Prime Time with Vacuum Cleaner Infomercials lol....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts