Atmosphere and Digital Signals.

Skyhi

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 29, 2007
NE Ohio
Background: I live about 15 miles east of Cleveland and about 70 miles from Youngstown.

Does electricity in the air or high humidity help TV signals travel farther? Last night, I was able to get WKBN and WFMJ out of Youngstown at signal levels between 85-90. I'm using a homemade coat-hanger antenna (thats missing an element) inside my garage about 6 feet off the ground. I've gotten WKBN before, but at low levels w/ lots of dropouts.

I was really surprised to be getting such a strong signal last night with my inadaquete setep. The only thing that was different last night was that there was tons of lightning to the west and it was really humid. Any experts know if those atmospheric conditions play a factor?

Yes atmospheric conditions can influence skip just like it did with analog. You still can't count on the distant channels coming in with changing conditions they will come and go.

The actual broadcast signal has not changed, only the modulation in the signal has changed, so atmospherics still effect long distance transmission as they did analog, instead of ghosting and fading on weak signals, digital will experience pixellation and dropouts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts