Jul 29, 2005
Plain City, OH
Here is an interesting article describing the current status of ATSC 3.0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Foxbat and FTA4PA
Here is an interesting article describing the current status of ATSC 3.0

Great article! Thanks for sharing! :)

BAH! Article glossed over HDR. Made SL-HDR1 sound as good as DV. Last I heard, no current hardware supports SL-HDR1. It pushed up daisies, and the daisies died.

And yes, pay OTA TV is coming. No speculation there. May kill the golden goose.

So far, Hisense is the one manufacturer that publicly supports SL-HDR1. Sinclair used some LG sets in its Wynn demo that Aitken said it was able to make work with a firmware update, and he believes the same update could be feasible with other sets.
Tony Bozzini, head of business development for Advanced HDR by Technicolor, expects to “see a host of major manufacturers” support SL-HDR1 in 2023 thanks to the push from Sinclair and other programmers.

“Over the course of the next year and tail part of this year, you’re going to see a number of major manufacturers introduce, and in some cases reintroduce, Advanced HDR by Technicolor,” Bozzini said.

The big advantage of SL-HDR1 is that you don’t need two separate broadcasts with and without HDR.

“If you have an HDR display, you’re going to see the full enhancements, the full color, the brightness, everything,” Brady said. “But if you have an SDR display you’re going to get the exact same original content, which is a big deal.”

Last edited:
So while people have become comfy with HD and slowly venturing into 4K the FCC decides to force feed us ATSC 3 and now, before ATSC 3 is even past, what is essentially, the birthing stage they already want to experiment with changing the technology? ATSC 3 is beginning to look and sound like a 3 Stooges movie, nyuk, nyuk, nyuk!