ATSC 3.0 to be Deployed in 40 U.S. Markets by End of 2020

Well, I guess if they have it so miniaturized already, they might get one on the market next year for under $100. Maybe a stripped down model under $50.

If they do this, then I’d say they’re really all in

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: charlesrshell
Well, I guess if they have it so miniaturized already, they might get one on the market next year for under $100. Maybe a stripped down model under $50.

If they do this, then I’d say they’re really all in

It's been said that the $895 dongle is just a DVB-T2 SDR dongle that's somehow modified to receive ATSC 3.0. If that's true, it's likely the software they are using that's allowing that.

https://www.maxlinear.com/product/c...d-narrowband-tuners-demods/terrestrial/mxl603

Reactions: charlesrshell
Consider that an outboard tuner is going to need to be able to transcode the audio from AC-4 (or MPEG-H outside of North America) to AC-3 in order for most currently installed audio systems to be able handle it. I think your pricing target is going to cause some fairly severe hemorrhaging.

You have to click on the YOUTUBE link in the bottom right corner of the video, and it'll play directly from Youtube's site. I just did so, and it works fine for me.

I don’t get to the video. Using Reader app on iPhone XS Max.

Since Sinclair is participating and I see Charleston West Virginia on the list and they own ABC 8 and FOX 11 in that market then I take it that they can just put FOX 11 on their ABC sub channel and offer the ATSC 3.0 on the FOX 11 station.

I can't imagine how it will work, but according to some, lighthousing will have both WCHS and WVAH going Next Gen TV on their respective frequencies (RF29 and RF24) with the DTV versions of both moving somewhere else. It seems backwards to me as Next Gen TV has greater capacity to handle multiple stations than DTV.

I contend that if DTV goes SD (or an insufferably compressed HD) to accomplish this stacking of stations, many viewers will walk away from the broadcast platform out of disappointment with the quality.

I know when a station changes to ATSC 3.0 they have to also broadcast ATSC 1.0 for five years. But, we will lose the sub-stations right?

In other words, if channel 9 changes to ATSC 3.0 they have to also broadcast channel 9 in ATSC 1.0 but they don't have to broadcast 9.2, 9.3, 9.4, 9.5, etc.?

So, we only get sub-stations if we buy a new TV right away?

I know when a station changes to ATSC 3.0 they have to also broadcast ATSC 1.0 for five years. But, we will lose the sub-stations right?
It isn't well known what will happen going forward with this process of lighthousing. Perhaps they'll downconvert the HD channels or maybe they'll change their minds and lighthouse on Next Gen stations where it is technically feasible (as opposed to DTV where it doesn't seem particularly feasible without great sacrifice). I have little doubt that the proponents have spun a tale where people who need OTA won't somehow be screwed out of being able to receive it but I have to wonder how it will actually work without encouraging many just to give up on OTA as too expensive or too much trouble for little to no real gain for the viewers. Next Gen is doubtless technically superior in pretty much every way, but will what they deliver justify the viewer's investment in new and/or additional gear?

While the proponent broadcasters have their buzz going, there may be more than a few in the broadcast community that are not as enthusiastic (especially those who aren't being heavily subsidized for one reason or another). The FCC can't give away all the auction proceeds to make the transition as that represents their operational funding. Sinclair has said they will subsidize the first million tuner chips but who knows how the chips will be used and whether those that get them have any real need of them if they're delivered in televisions.

It will be interesting in a Chinese curse sense.

I have to wonder how it will actually work without encouraging many just to give up on OTA as too expensive or too much trouble for little to no real gain for the viewers. Next Gen is doubtless technically superior in pretty much every way, but will what they deliver justify the viewer's investment in new and/or additional gear?

So true! As it is, there just isn't the kind of programming on OTA like there was. Just a few years ago, even The Walking Dead reruns were on OTA. Now we've got Dennis The Menace from the 50s. It's really gone downhill. I am told this is because streaming services are buying up content so rapidly and leaving OTA channels less cheap content to buy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts