ATT offering unlimited voice to any mobile for free w/ texting plan

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
I noticed today that AT&T is offering unlimited calling to ANY mobile phone (any carrier) for free if you have the unlimited texting plan. I think you have to have at least the 700 minute plan (for family) to qualify. Maybe their trying to save some customers from going to Verizon now that they offer the IPhone. I've been considering losing my home phone for a while now. At least this will make it a little easier to do that.

Any mobile phone in the U.S. but not to Canada, right? It does not get counted towards your minutes at all or is it unlimited after you use your minutes up like how they do now with free mobile to mobile AT&T customers?

Any mobile phone in the U.S. but not to Canada, right? It does not get counted towards your minutes at all or is it unlimited after you use your minutes up like how they do now with free mobile to mobile AT&T customers?

Your current mobile to mobile calls to AT&T customers should not get counted toward any of your minutes. They are free without using any of your minutes.

Smokey, Thanks for the heads up on the change.

Sprint loses another advantage.....AT&T is looking better to some Sprint folks right about now, especially to us light data users....

stogie5150 said:
Sprint loses another advantage.....AT&T is looking better to some Sprint folks right about now, especially to us light data users....

So its a slam on \rint when another company decides to do the same things ?
As for data goes, with the "Everything" plan ...your data is already covered.

Please note that you do have to go into your account and select the option for unlimited text and mobile to any mobile calling.

I sure wish that AT&T would have just added this feature to the unlimited texting plans without people having to select it as an option. Not really sure why anyone would now pick the old unlimited texting option.

So its a slam on \rint when another company decides to do the same things ?
As for data goes, with the "Everything" plan ...your data is already covered.

Jesus you TOSU fans are touchy. Sprint is doing a fair job slamming themselves. Continually raising prices and not adding value. AT&T added value to their offering by adopting something Sprint does. Those of us that aren't happy with Sprint see that as Sprint losing another advantage compared to the other providers. Something Sprint cannot afford right now, because with the latest price increase/tax/butt rape 10.00 smartphone fee, MANY of us are gonna be looking for a new provider. Soon. Seems to me AT&T realized this and made themselves more attractive to us.

smokey982 said:
I noticed today that AT&T is offering unlimited calling to ANY mobile phone (any carrier) for free if you have the unlimited texting plan. I think you have to have at least the 700 minute plan (for family) to qualify. Maybe their trying to save some customers from going to Verizon now that they offer the IPhone. I've been considering losing my home phone for a while now. At least this will make it a little easier to do that.

Interesting, I'll have to see if I qualify for this. I'm on a grandfathered voice package (no mobile to mobile included, but an extra 300 anytime minutes than current pricing), but if this is a change to the unlimited testing plans, I might be able to get this added without losing my old voice package. Thanks for the heads up!

Jesus you TOSU fans are touchy. Sprint is doing a fair job slamming themselves. Continually raising prices and not adding value. AT&T added value to their offering by adopting something Sprint does. Those of us that aren't happy with Sprint see that as Sprint losing another advantage compared to the other providers. Something Sprint cannot afford right now, because with the latest price increase/tax/butt rape 10.00 smartphone fee, MANY of us are gonna be looking for a new provider. Soon. Seems to me AT&T realized this and made themselves more attractive to us.

They haven't raised prices in years. Same can't be said for AT&T. Their base smartphone plan is what, $100 a month all told now? And your 'unlimited data' has a 2 gig cap? I have Sprint Data Everything, which is $70 a month. 450 minutes, 7pm nights, unlimited Any Mobile Anytime (which is basically all I use, who has a landline nowadays?), TRUE unlimited data (there is NO cap whatsoever on phones), unlimited texts. Oh, and their 3G coverage kicks AT&T's ass any day of the week, so have fun using your 3G iphone on EDGE. And one more thing, you can roam on Verizon for FREE, so with Sprint you have the absolute BEST coverage of any carrier. Period. The $10 smartphone fee? So F'n what? You're paying to not have to worry about a cap. It's still cheaper than AT&T and you get a whole lot more.

Last edited:
They haven't raised prices in years. Same can't be said for AT&T. Their base smartphone plan is what, $100 a month all told now? And your 'unlimited data' has a 2 gig cap? I have Sprint Data Everything, which is $70 a month. 450 minutes, 7pm nights, unlimited Any Mobile Anytime (which is basically all I use, who has a landline nowadays?), TRUE unlimited data (there is NO cap whatsoever on phones), unlimited texts. Oh, and their 3G coverage kicks AT&T's ass any day of the week, so have fun using your 3G iphone on EDGE. And one more thing, you can roam on Verizon for FREE, so with Sprint you have the absolute BEST coverage of any carrier. Period. The $10 smartphone fee? So F'n what? You're paying to not have to worry about a cap. It's still cheaper than AT&T and you get a whole lot more.

Actually Sprint is not always cheaper than other providers. I was with Sprint and I am now paying $35 per month less with AT&T. Add the extra $10 smartphone fee and it would be $45. As for the data cap on AT&T, yes it does suck but so far I have not hit that cap yet. You are correct that the 3G coverage area is better than AT&T, but when you only get edge speeds from their 3G is it really better?

You area may be great for Sprint which is wonderful for you but don't expect all areas to be the same. I live in a major metro area and Sprint is the worst provider of everyone. This goes the same for AT&T. They are actually the best provider in my area but I also know that many areas around the country they are not.

Up until last year, I lived 5 minutes outside NYC, which last I checked qualified as a major metro area. Sprint was the best there too. And are you really claiming that EV-DO and EDGE run at the same speeds? EDGE tops out at about 150kbps (which is why running something like an iphone on it is such a joke). My phone is EV-DO Rev.A, and I can consistently hit 2Mbps. If you're getting EDGE speeds on a Sprint phone, it's not in 3G. 1xRTT mode is roughly 150kbps.

Last edited:
Up until last year, I lived 5 minutes outside NYC, which last I checked qualified as a major metro area. Sprint was the best there too. And are you really claiming that EV-DO and EDGE run at the same speeds? EDGE tops out at about 150kbps (which is why running something like an iphone on it is such a joke). My phone is EV-DO Rev.A, and I can consistently hit 2Mbps.

Considering my speeds with EV-DO Rev.A were only around 100K at best, yes i would compare it to Edge. Like I said Sprint may be great around you but it is sure not the best in my area. Sorry you are only getting 2Mbps with them in your area also. 2Mbps is a bad day around here with AT&T. I normally am in the 3.5M to 5M area for speeds. Heck, I have even broken the 6M barrier once.

Considering my speeds with EV-DO Rev.A were only around 100K at best, yes i would compare it to Edge. Like I said Sprint may be great around you but it is sure not the best in my area. Sorry you are only getting 2Mbps with them in your area also. 2Mbps is a bad day around here with AT&T. I normally am in the 3.5M to 5M area for speeds. Heck, I have even broken the 6M barrier once.

Yeah I knew that one was coming. What is your 6M good for besides slamming you into your cap faster? There comes a point where you don't NEED what they give you. You will never notice the difference between 2M and 6M on your phone. That only comes into play while tethering, and even then you're talking maybe a second's worth of difference loading your web page. Since you're capped, you obviously won't be using it for downloading - but I can.

And if you got 100k on Sprint, you were NOT on 3G, you were in 1xRTT.

Yeah I knew that one was coming. What is your 6M good for besides slamming you into your cap faster? There comes a point where you don't NEED what they give you. You will never notice the difference between 2M and 6M on your phone. That only comes into play while tethering, and even then you're talking maybe a second's worth of difference.

And if you got 100k on Sprint, you were NOT on 3G, you were in 1xRTT.

Actually I was on 3G. That is how bad the Sprint network is around here. I had a HTC EVO was was not even able to stream audio with their crappy network.

No you weren't. I'm sorry, but there is no way you're going to convince me otherwise. You can easily get 700k with 1 bar. You were on 1xRTT.

<sarcastic ON>

They haven't? Well hot diggity I can stop paying them that extra 10 bucks for that 'rich data experience' that I am supposed to be enjoying on my Evo, You know, the one I have to use WiFi for to do anything useful. And I guess I won't have to worry about paying ANOTHER extra 20.00 a month when my other two lines upgrade their Blackberries, either. Man, glad I found all this out so I can tell Sprint they haven't raised their prices....

<sarcastic OFF>

Sprint sucks in South Louisiana. And that's all she wrote. no 4g, 3g speeds are laughable at best. I am paying what I consider a LOT of money to begin with, and aren't getting a whole helluva lot of value from it. :(

Sprint sucks in South Louisiana. And that's all she wrote. no 4g, 3g speeds are laughable at best. I am paying what I consider a LOT of money to begin with, and aren't getting a whole helluva lot of value from it. :(

<sarcastic ON>

Now come on.... You know that you can't be on 3G. If you had 3G speeds you would easily be able to always get 700K without any problems.

<sarcastic OFF>

We all know the truth to the story on how crappy Sprint can be.

AT&T giving you 1000 rollover minutes too. Not sure if it's to iPhone users only but got this text yesterday.

AT&T Free Msg: You're a valued AT&T customer. We'd like to add 1000 bonus Rollover minutes to the mobile number ending in 0759. There's NO cost or obligation to you. It's our way of saying thank you. To have your minutes added, reply YES by 3/31/2011. Reply stop to end mktg msgs.

AT&T giving you 1000 rollover minutes too. Not sure if it's to iPhone users only but got this text yesterday.

AT&T Free Msg: You're a valued AT&T customer. We'd like to add 1000 bonus Rollover minutes to the mobile number ending in 0759. There's NO cost or obligation to you. It's our way of saying thank you. To have your minutes added, reply YES by 3/31/2011. Reply stop to end mktg msgs.
We got the same message. It doesn't matter if we already have thousands of rollover minutes. We never come close to using our monthly minutes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)