ATT Question

js6425

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 28, 2007
Milwaukee, WI
Does anyone here know if it's possible to "unbundle" a service on an att account:confused:--we want to just have a separate bill from e* and then a bill for home phone & wireless. Is this allowed, or has anyone else done this before? It makes making changes on our dish account much easier without having to deal with a third party:D. Thanks!

I don't believe so. You signed up with ATT/Dishnetwork, it's a total different ballgame. Dish CSRs can't even access your account, it goes right to a ATT Dish CSR when you call in.

Your account number most likely starts out like 8272.

Does anyone know if these CSR's for ATT are any better than the E*? We already heard that their QAS's are really tough. We have been told to follow the rules because they will fail you in a second.

I don't believe so. You signed up with ATT/Dishnetwork, it's a total different ballgame. Dish CSRs can't even access your account, it goes right to a ATT Dish CSR when you call in.

Your account number most likely starts out like 8272.

There are only DISH CSR's. When you dial the AT&T number you are indentified as an AT&T customer and the CSR treats you like a AT&T/DISH customer even though s/he works for DISH. When you call AT&T about local phone, Cingular, or DSL you are dealing with AT&T only. Yes, you can unbundle, but you lose your AT&T bundle discount and may have to pay a termination fee to DISH. If you drop AT&T/DISH you have to wait at least 6 months to get DISH again, or you can sign up using a spouse's SS# for a DISH account.

P.S. The same goes for Sprint/Embarq that offers DISH service as well as other phone companies. There are only DISH CSR's for them too.

Don't know about the Dish CSR acting as an ATT CSR, whenever I called to modify a work order or anything in relations to working with an ATT account, Dish CSRs tell me, oh this is a partner account, I can't access it, let me transfer you.... (something to that effect) I've heard more then once that they had their own call centers.

Though I've been wrong more then once.

Unbundling from ATT

Yes it is possible to unbundle from ATT. There are two types of ATT accounts. If you have ever received your dish account # the first four #s will tell you what kind of account you have. If 8257 then its an older account and only a dish partner agent can put in the request for you through a back office. If 8272 then they have to call ATT to put in the request. Either way the simplest way is to call 866-722-7500 do get to the dish side which are options 2-4 on the IVR.

Yes it is possible to unbundle from ATT. There are two types of ATT accounts. If you have ever received your dish account # the first four #s will tell you what kind of account you have. If 8257 then its an older account and only a dish partner agent can put in the request for you through a back office. If 8272 then they have to call ATT to put in the request. Either way the simplest way is to call 866-722-7500 do get to the dish side which are options 2-4 on the IVR.

I know I have an 8272 account...so if/when I unbundle, will this end up changing my account number?

When I call DISH CS the computer tells me I have been identified as an AT&T customer and I am directed to a CSR who handles both AT&T and DISH accounts. S/he is familiar with what AT&T offers it's customers and what DISH offers its customers. If you look at the AT&T site you will notice that the equipment offerings are different and there are limits to the number of receivers, especially DVR's.

Let's settle this once and for all by using some common sense. Why would AT&T, Sprint, Embarq; et al hire and train CSRs to do what DISH CSRs can do already? It's just good business sense. AT&T offers its customers the convenience of having one bill and the opportunity to sell you more AT&T services with the lure of a bundle discount--nothing more and nothing less. The bundle discount basically gives you your locals for free, which used to be included in the basic price when DISH did not. It's just smoke and mirrors. I guess if you don't believe me just call DISH and ask them. The truth will set you free.

When I call DISH CS the computer tells me I have been identified as an AT&T customer and I am directed to a CSR who handles both AT&T and DISH accounts. S/he is familiar with what AT&T offers it's customers and what DISH offers its customers. If you look at the AT&T site you will notice that the equipment offerings are different and there are limits to the number of receivers, especially DVR's.

Let's settle this once and for all by using some common sense. Why would AT&T, Sprint, Embarq; et al hire and train CSRs to do what DISH CSRs can do already? It's just good business sense. AT&T offers its customers the convenience of having one bill and the opportunity to sell you more AT&T services with the lure of a bundle discount--nothing more and nothing less. The bundle discount basically gives you your locals for free, which used to be included in the basic price when DISH did not. It's just smoke and mirrors. I guess if you don't believe me just call DISH and ask them. The truth will set you free.

I understand all that you're saying here; it is just common sense. But the main reason why I wanted to separate my account from AT&T was so that I would have a plain and simple DISH Network account; when having an AT&T|DISH Network account, "moving" is pretty much impossible, something I still want to be able to do:D. Does anyone here have any experience doing this? When I start an online chat or call a CSR and I give him/her my account info, I don't want her to say "Call this number, this is a partner account". I want the CSR to say "Sure, I'd be glad to help you with this". To me, losing the $5 discount is worth it:). If I request separate billing, does the DISH bill still come from AT&T, or does it come directly from DISH? Thanks again for your patience and understanding.:)

"If I request separate billing, does the DISH bill still come from AT&T, or does it come directly from DISH?"

It's my understanding that the bill will come from Dish Network and not AT&T anymore.

From the letter I posted above:

You have the option of receiving a separate bill from Echostar Satellite L.L.C. for SBC IDISH Network service. However, if you choose to receive a separate bill, you will lose all existing discounts, and you will not be eligible to recombine billing at a later time.

My discount is now $12. But I also have home phone, internet and wireless along with my DISH on one account. Just another 12 pack for free...