ATT to buy T-Mobile

But this will not help AT&T much their still behind Sprint and Verizon both when it comes to 4G and putting up new technology AT&T has always been slow and always will be. Their plans are not as good so if Sprint and Verizon were to team up it would by far put them in the lead not only in subscriber base but way ahead in technology as well.. T-Mobile has not done well and there been talk for the last week or two that Sprint or someone was looking at buying them out... Either way Sprint and Verizon are the way too go their customer service is better and their overall plans are better Sprint too me as the best plans out there. I think AT&T is doing this to try to meet some of their goals so they buy up another company to get coverage in areas that have not had before and new marketing ads to say they have 4G now which some of that will be T-Mobiles hardware. So basically they get T-Mobile they will be able to makes some claims about how they can offer 4G so forth but it still does not change anything in that it's still AT&T and that they have to buy into someone else to meet their goals because their to slow to do it on their own like their competitors..

AT&T buys T-Mobile for $39 billion, to form America's largest carrier if the deal gets approved - Phone Arena

AT&T bought T-mobile for the 1700mhz AWS to use for LTE.

Now my delima starts. Do i stay with Tmobile or cancel. I just signed back up with them after leaving ATT which I was with only for 25 days. There ultra restrictive and non-consumer friendly policies got me out quick and back to tmobile whom I was with for 8 years without issue. I am locked into a 2 year contract if i choose not to cancel within the 30 days so I guess I could wait and see how things turn out. As at least my rate plan/services etc will be the same for 2 years and if ATT changes them I can leave with no ETF

I HEARD SPRINT AND T-MOBILE ARE GOING TO MERGE TO COMPETE WITH AT&T AND VERIZON :) Fast Break: As Of Last Week, Many At Sprint Thought They Were Merging With T-Mobile Sprint-T-Mobile merger rumors heat up again
Sprint-T-Mobile merger rumors heat up again » Knoxville News Sentinel Sprint merger talk heats up again
Sprint merger talk heats up again - KansasCity.com A Sprint, T-Mobile Merger Is a Bad Idea, But Here's How It Could Work
A Sprint, T-Mobile Merger Is a Bad Idea, But Here's How It Could Work - Yahoo! News

I HEARD SPRINT AND T-MOBILE ARE GOING TO MERGE TO COMPETE WITH AT&T AND VERIZON :) Fast Break: As Of Last Week, Many At Sprint Thought They Were Merging With T-Mobile Sprint-T-Mobile merger rumors heat up again
Sprint-T-Mobile merger rumors heat up again » Knoxville News Sentinel Sprint merger talk heats up again
Sprint merger talk heats up again - KansasCity.com A Sprint, T-Mobile Merger Is a Bad Idea, But Here's How It Could Work
A Sprint, T-Mobile Merger Is a Bad Idea, But Here's How It Could Work - Yahoo! News

Notice the posting dates of those stories; almost 2 weeks ago and things changed fast... This is what everyone THOUGHT was going to happen BEFORE AT&T swooped in and did the deal.

Now my delima starts. Do i stay with Tmobile or cancel. I just signed back up with them after leaving ATT which I was with only for 25 days. There ultra restrictive and non-consumer friendly policies got me out quick and back to tmobile whom I was with for 8 years without issue. I am locked into a 2 year contract if i choose not to cancel within the 30 days so I guess I could wait and see how things turn out. As at least my rate plan/services etc will be the same for 2 years and if ATT changes them I can leave with no ETF

Man you don't have to worry until after your contract is up, I am the one who got to worry, I am on a non contract even more plus plan that runs me 79.99 unlimited everything. Once that merger is complete my plan going to get killed.

Hello Verizon Sprint! It's bound to happen. It could actually be a really good thing re: reception, phone choices, etc. But it probably won't. This is a sign we're coming out of the recession, though, IMHO.

With all the choices today you should never ever enter into a contract with any provider. Of course many do because they offer you a free phone or whatever. It's still wrong to do so.

I'm worried about service. I found AT&T to be one of the worst providers in my area. Matter of fact I switched to T-Mobile from AT&T. Really am concerned about going back to what I consider the Dead Zone King.

With all the choices today you should never ever enter into a contract with any provider. Of course many do because they offer you a free phone or whatever. It's still wrong to do so.

Unless and until the providers allow me to bring any phone I want and only pay for what I want to, the price spiral will continue to go up. Sadly the only way, and I HATE to say this because its totally against my normal hands-off business attitude, is to MAKE the providers do so by Government Edict. There is absolutely NO reason I shouldn't be allowed to have a smartphone on a talk/text plan with NO data if I bring my own device. None. T-Mobile is the last carrier that allows one to do so.

Here's a report from a Dow Jones analyst: Some different perspectives-

UPDATE: Verizon Could See Upside In AT&T/T-Mobile Deal

(Updates with analyst comment on pricing stabilization and AT&T's potential distraction in fourth paragraph, and fresh stock quotes.)

By Melissa Korn
Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

NEW YORK (Dow Jones)--Verizon Wireless is on the sidelines of the proposed merger of AT&T Inc. (T) and Deutsche Telekom AG's (DTEGY, DTE.XE) T-Mobile USA, but it could end up one of the deal's big winners.
While Verizon Wireless would become the U.S.'s second-largest mobile carrier after the deal, industry consolidation that marginalizes low-cost offerings could benefit the company by boosting its power to control pricing. Additionally, Verizon could win customers from a distracted AT&T, which analysts say likely will face tough and prolonged regulatory scrutiny over the proposed merger.
Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications Inc. (VZ) and Vodafone Group PLC (VOD, VOD.LN). Verizon shares recently rose 2.3% to $36.68, making it one of the biggest gainers on the Dow Jones Industrial Average, while American depositary shares of partner Vodafone gained 3.8% to $28.80. AT&T added 0.8%, recently changing hands at $28.15.
"If there's a more stable pricing environment, certainly that's viewed as a positive for Verizon," said Nomura analyst Mike McCormack, noting that AT&T likely won't adopt additional low-cost plans similar to those T-Mobile currently offers. McCormack also said Verizon could benefit as AT&T and T-Mobile USA encounter some "dislocation" amid a multi-year integration process.
To be sure, AT&T's $39 billion deal for T-Mobile contains some worrisome aspects for Verizon Wireless, including a larger and more emboldened rival in AT&T. RBC Capital Markets wrote in a note Monday that Verizon "could see incremental pressure from facing a stronger competitor."
Verizon representatives declined to comment.
Another possible investor concern is that Verizon may be spurred to spend money in reaction to the AT&T deal. While analysts say it is unlikely Verizon would go after Sprint Nextel Corp. (S), they say the company could improve ties with Vodafone, a relationship that has had its rocky points.
"An eventual merger of (Vodafone) and (Verizon) makes more sense than acquiring Sprint, in our opinion," said Kevin Smithen, analyst at Macquarie Research. Vodafone holds a 45% stake in Verizon Wireless.
On Monday, Wall Street focused on the deal's positives for Verizon. Standard & Poor's Equity Research upgraded Verizon to hold from sell, saying an AT&T tie-up with T-Mobile USA would offer Verizon "opportunities to defend and perhaps increase its wireless market share in the near term."
Though increased smartphone subsidies may pressure margins, S&P said the decrease in national carriers and pricing pressure would offset any negative impact.
A joint AT&T/T-Mobile would hold 43% of the market, while Verizon has a 31% share and Sprint 16%, according to Oppenheimer & Co. analysts.

-By Melissa Korn, Dow Jones Newswires; 212-416-2271; melissa.korn@dowjones.com
-Roger Cheng contributed to this report.

Unless and until the providers allow me to bring any phone I want and only pay for what I want to...
I think you can safely assume this is never going to happen.
Both AT&T and Verizon (and others before them) fought really long and hard to prevent this Europe-isation of the US market.

Commoditization is good for consumers, not businesses. And the government can't do much at this stage...

Diogen.

If it goes on like this, the merger might not happen...:)
Why AT&T
Ultimately, if the consumer is unhappy, they can take their business elsewhere.
Take away that choice and the consumer is powerless.

Goodbye, free market.
Hello, Cellphone Soviet.

And this is a for-profit Cellphone Soviet, too. The worst of all possible systems.
Little did I realize that AT&T is the Hotel California of the wireless world. You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts