Attic Antenna Recommendation

bwatford141

Original poster
Oct 12, 2020
Tampa
I'm moving to the Tampa area and want to go OTA. Can I get a recommendation for an antenna that will be going in my attic? I really only need ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX. All stations seem to be about 30 miles away at about 126º.

At 30 miles away, you could use what I use – the RCA ANT751. Very durable and excellent reception. I have mine mounted in the attic with a channel master HD 7777 preamp. Tampa8 Do you use an OTA antenna in Tampa?

I'm moving to the Tampa area and want to go OTA. Can I get a recommendation for an antenna that will be going in my attic? I really only need ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX. All stations seem to be about 30 miles away at about 126º.

At 30 miles away, you could use what I use – the RCA ANT751. Very durable and excellent reception. I have mine mounted in the attic with a channel master HD 7777 preamp. Tampa8 Do you use an OTA antenna in Tampa?

Why yes, yes I do use an OTA antenna. :)
At 30 miles with the terrain here I agree should be able to get just about all the channels with a decent antenna in the attic AND a good amplifier. As always the VHF channels are little more of a challenge but now with the repack the harder ones are easier to get.
I still have a Radio Shack traditional VHF/UHF antenna and use a Motorola amp. Depending on location the shorter ones like the RCA ANT751 seem to work but again the lower VHF especially PBS may be less of a signal but not as much a problem now.

Since virtually all the channels except Channel 40 for the Sarasota area - a second ABC channel are in the same place, Riverview I used a compass then adjusted slightly to get the best signal more for the lower signal channels.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I'm actually going through the same search as you. I'm north of the OP - the major channels I'm hoping to get (especially Fox13) are about 45 miles away at 152 degrees. I'm probably going to mount on the outside to improve reception. I've been eyeballing that RCA 751 but wasn't sure if it would reach the 45 miles or not. I was also looking at the winegard 7694P as that has decent reviews on Amazon also. Thoughts?

I would order a Televes from Lowes..I have 2 now and working great..They make a quality built welded antenna not the rolled and riveted type..The pre-amp is built into the antennas and superior technology.Do some research on them..5 Star ratings. You can have it delivered to your home free..try it and if your not satisfied with it simple take it to a lowes store for full refund.. It's like free testing..

Reactions: blackls1z
I would order a Televes from Lowes..I have 2 now and working great..They make a quality built welded antenna not the rolled and riveted type..The pre-amp is built into the antennas and superior technology.Do some research on them..5 Star ratings. You can have it delivered to your home free..try it and if your not satisfied with it simple take it to a lowes store for full refund.. It's like free testing..

Thanks Tv- I'll check Televes out - this is the first I'm hearing of the brand. The quality appears to be top notch. Thanks for the heads up on those.

Reactions: Tvland1
Not too many people are familiar with them..I just became aware of them recently and after alot of research decided to try them.Theres a lot of info about Televes on AVS if you search

Tvland1 I wanted to point out that the antenna you have on this post is not the same model as the first one you bought. The first one you bought was model 149883 which I was told is stronger than the one you posted here for $95.00. The one you have on this post is model 149483. I edited the post to ask if you have tryed the model 149483 yet and if you did. Is it smaller in size or equal in size and if you can tell any signal power difference.

Last edited:
Tvland1 I wanted to point out that the antenna you have on this post is not the same model as the first one you bought. The first one you bought was model 149883 which I was told is stronger than the one you posted here for $95.00. The one you have on this post is model 149483. I edited the post to ask if you have tryed the model 149483 yet and if you did. Is it smaller in size or equal in size and if you can tell any signal power difference.
I ordered another 149883 and took down a RCA and Winegard pre-amp on my tripod about 25 ft total high..I realize the one I posted was just the Dat Boss Mix not the LR model since the op only needs about 30 miles and mounting in a attic..it would be less expensive than buying a cheaper antenna and expensive pre-amp..
There's a substantial difference in the Televes and the RCA winegard

The best UHF antenna from my experience is the Xtreme Signal HDB91X. There is a high VHF element on it, but a separate high VHF is better.
It beats the Televes and Fracarro I have, hands down. I have two HDB91x’s. If they can’t get a usable signal, I’m not going to receive it.

The best UHF antenna from my experience is the Xtreme Signal HDB91X. There is a high VHF element on it, but a separate high VHF is better.
It beats the Televes and Fracarro I have, hands down. I have two HDB91x’s. If they can’t get a usable signal, I’m not going to receive it.
What Televes model are you comparing to?

I can,t vouch for your extreme signal hd991 but I can vouch that the televese 149883 is a a good antenna that gets me all the north erie pa channels and all the youngstown ohio channels on the back side antenna.

Reactions: Tvland1
ABC is on RF channel 17, the other 3 majors are on VHF high (9, 10 and 12).
See if a Winegard HD 7694P will fit in your attic.

Remember being in the attic you probably will loose 1/2 if the free to air signal,, assuming you dont have a metal or ceramic/concrete roof (much worse).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts