Attic Antenna Recommendation

I have 2 HDB91X’s in my antenna arrays. One points to Toledo, OH for its UHF majors, the other points to Southfield, MI for the UHF Detroit majors. I get REALLY strong signal at about 20 to 22 miles away from them, especially post repack.

High VHF RF7 WJBK is done by an old High VHF antenna I used in the past for CBET RF9 out of of Windsor, ONT. A combiner for the two antennas makes it just like having limited basic cable. I never have to worry about paying a bill or being disconnected AND I had the Scripps stations when there was a recent dispute with Dish.

SolidSignal has the HDB91X on sale presently for $50. A good deal, IMO.

Note: I am not calling the Televes junk. I just find in my situation, the HDB91X performs better. Also, I run no amplifiers on my antennas.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheKrell
At 30 miles away, you could use what I use – the RCA ANT751. Very durable and excellent reception. I have mine mounted in the attic with a channel master HD 7777 preamp. Tampa8 Do you use an OTA antenna in Tampa?

Thanks for your help. This antenna gave me GREAT results. I did not add a pre-amp, and everything seems to be coming in just fine. According to my TiVo, my signal strength on all of the wanted channels is ~72%. This is with my first aiming of the antenna @ 126º. I may try to make some adjustments to the antenna, using my wife downstairs to Gallup if it improves, but honestly everything seems perfectly clear.

Would I benefit from using a pre-amp, or would that be overkill with the broadcast antennas being only about 30 miles away. I have read online that the TiVo can be a little sensitive to too strong of a signal.

Thanks for your help. This antenna gave me GREAT results. I did not add a pre-amp, and everything seems to be coming in just fine. According to my TiVo, my signal strength on all of the wanted channels is ~72%. This is with my first aiming of the antenna @ 126º. I may try to make some adjustments to the antenna, using my wife downstairs to Gallup if it improves, but honestly everything seems perfectly clear.

Would I benefit from using a pre-amp, or would that be overkill with the broadcast antennas being only about 30 miles away. I have read online that the TiVo can be a little sensitive to too strong of a signal.

I have no experience with Tivo, so I can't say. Sorry.

If you're getting everything reliably then there's no need for a preamp.

Reactions: comfortably_numb

There's a bug in the signal meter of the Tivo Roamio when used OTA, so that the maximum signal level it's capable of showing is 72%.

You'll never be able to get it higher, because that's the highest. Just think of it as really 100%, and you'll be fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: comfortably_numb
The best UHF antenna from my experience is the Xtreme Signal HDB91X. There is a high VHF element on it, but a separate high VHF is better.
It beats the Televes and Fracarro I have, hands down. I have two HDB91x’s. If they can’t get a usable signal, I’m not going to receive it.
Glad to hear you are getting good reception out of your Qiaohua antenna. Every situation is different. That antenna does not have a high VHF element, however.

Yes. The small rectangular element near the back reflectors is the high vhf element.

It will receive high VHF but the station has to be close and powerful from my experience. I have a high VHF on RF7 in Detroit that I use an old special high VHF antenna to receive and run it thru a combiner with the HDB91X. Now I get my high VHF along with UHF’s on the same wire.

I basically have a mini-MATV system running.

Yes. The small rectangular element near the back reflectors is the high vhf element.

It will receive high VHF but the station has to be close and powerful from my experience. I have a high VHF on RF7 in Detroit that I use an old special high VHF antenna to receive and run it thru a combiner with the HDB91X. Now I get my high VHF along with UHF’s on the same wire.

I basically have a mini-MATV system running.
Actually, that small rectangular element is the dipole for this UHF/corner Yagi design. This being a strictly passive UHF antenna with no out of band filtering (be it VHF or LTE/5G) if a VHF High station is strong enough, it will be received to some extent, but this model does not have any elements for VHF reception. It's a UHF yagi/corner antenna.