Attn. All You Dish Internet Set Up Pro's!!!....

TwoCrows

Original poster
Oct 19, 2013
New Mexico
Ok...I need some technical assistance here...I have a technician coming out in 2 weeks, however if I can figure out the issue before he gets here, this will help me out greatly. :)For the past 2 weeks, I have been having issues with connectivity...pages not loading, very slow, hit and miss horrible service. I called Dish Network and they were able to check on their end from my dish to my modem, claiming that there is good signal from the dish to the modem. Of course they had to have me turn off the modem for one minute and restart the pc, (many futile attempts were made with this procedure long before I contacted Dish.) I am also well within my alotted data for the month. So, assuming that the signal was good and getting to the modem, the issues are most likely on my end in my pc. It was POSSIBLE it could be the modem, but not likely.Ok...well my laptop is nearing 4 years old and maybe it is time to do a complete recovery. I do a complete install of windows 7 and all drivers. Restart everything and still I am having the exact same issues. Well, maybe the pc is shot and I need a new one. (I did not have another pc to put in it's place to test it) So I go out and purchase a brand NEW one. I get it all set up, install the dish optimizer, and still the same issues. UGH!So at this point, I can only assume that it has to be this modem. I have dish send me out a new one. Get it hooked up, call dish to have to swapped in, and AGAIN....the same issues...pages not loading, I am not able to get ANY windows udates loaded, the dish optimizer will not run, and any heavy laden info pages will not load. Simple pages will load however.The ONLY thing left to replace inside here is my ethernet cord, the line from the pc to the modem! I am going out this morning to purchase a new one. Do these cords ever GO bad??? So these are my questions....could all this be caused by the ethernet cord? (I am not using a router of any kind) Could the Trea outside on the dish be bad even though Dish can send data down the pipe to my modem and it looks good? (Last year my trea went out and I had no signal, not like now were I do have some connection...a technician came out and replaced the trea.) Would the trea act like this with abilty to only send or process light duty data??The lights both the old modem and this new modem appear to tell me there is a constant signal...the second light from the top ALWAYS remains solid...top button solid as well, the two lower lights appear to be talking as well. I have checked all connections, cleaned all connections inside and outside, there is no damage to any wires outside, nothing in the path of the dish, nothing is loose on the dish outside. I have the standard dish internet service, not excede. I have been a dish internet customer for 6 1/2 years with absolutely no problems till now. Flawless service.PLEASE HELP! ANY and ALL info is welcome. :)-Leyla :)

Please clear something up. You say you've been " a dish internet customer for 6 1/2 years", but I was unaware that Dish was reselling satellite internet access until just this year. Perhaps you've been a DishTV customer for 6.5 years? And what is a "dish optimizer"?

//greg//

Grohgreg, dish network started offering internet service to dish tv customers about 7 years ago. It was provided thru Wildblue, set up by Dish Network. Just this past year, Wildblue was bought out, and it became Dishnet. I don't know the details, but this is a quick summary of their internet service. I just this past month cancelled Dish tv service after have being a customer for 10 years.

Ok...update on my issues....it WAS Dish networks problem all along and I feel sorry for anyone who is getting the internet service hooked up that is not on the excede package. (Excede is not available in all areas of the country) My problem is stemming from somewhere in Dish Networks proxy system. Something is NOT right and even though they continued to tell me that I had a good signal coming down my pipe, they are either ignorant as to their problems or they do not wish to be honest.

After replacing every piece of equipment in this house, even purchasing a new laptop, and nothing seemed to fix my problem, I took the advice of a member here, Stardust3 and logged on to opendns.com which basically overides the DNS servers and IP address that Dish shoots down your pipe and allows you to use other servers that might give you a quicker route to a web page. After following the instructions to making these changes in my pc, I now have flawless fast service. I am not relying on the only IP address now that dish feels I should be using.

I am not an expert at any of this, but only want what I am paying for. Good service from Dish Network Internet service. I hope that others will also log onto the open dns website and change their proxy settings. It is not difficult to do and will help you out greatly.

I am now going to get on the phone with Dish and give them an earful. It is too bad that I had to spend far too much money on a new pc and new modem, lots of headache and stress with Dish when I could have fixed this issue for free, not to mention Dish is not honest with customers nor do some of these installers know how to fix this issue either. No wonder there is nearly 3 week wait for a tech to show up at my residence when in the past they showed up the next day.

Edit to add: About the dish optimizer...I am not sure it applies to Excede (I am still on the standard internet installation), however the optimizer allows for better speeds. Not sure how it works, but it does improve performance and should be installed. It can be downloaded from dishmail.net website.

Last edited:
No, DishNet is just a branded reseller (of satellite internet access). You may get either HughesNet or Exede through them. Nor did Dishnet have anyhing to do with the Wildblue sellout. It was ViaSat was who bought the old Wildblue, and subsequently renamed it Exede. Dish Network (Echostar) has an agreement with ViaSat and HughesNet to resell their products under the DishNet name. Ain't a whole lot different than gettin' DirecTV through WalMart.

//greg//

I don't know all the technical info about all the sell outs, however I have had this satellite connection thru Dish Network since May of 2007, where at the time was being provided and powered by Wildblue. Dish network came and did all the installations. The area I reside in does not have access to Exede, so I am still on the old basic Dish Internet plan. Exede is the new generation. :)

You apparently don't realize this, but you've got a repackaged Exede service. DishNetwork doesn't even operate any internet satellites, hence they don't sell their own internet service. And it doesn't matter what's painted on your dish - or who's reselling it. There simply is no more Wildblue! Legacy Wildblue customers typically got switched to one of the Exede plans. When you call for support, you're talking to DishNetwork, which is essentially a screening call center for either Exede or HughesNet (depending on which service they're reselling to you). When they reach the end of their scripts without resolving your issue, you get escalated to either Exede or HughesNet tech support (depending on what they're reselling to you).

Since you think you've got Wildblue, you're almost certainly getting Exede service - once removed. And there are two levels of new generation Exede service: 5 Mbps and 12 Mbps. I think you likely believe that the Exede12 is the only "new generation", but I'm inclined to believe that Dish is reselling to you an Exede5 signal.

//greg//

Greg, I do understand what you are saying and yes, we are being served by Exede in this area. However, we are not offered the higher speeds of 5 Mbps or 12 Mbps service, which is what I consider the "exede plans". So when I say "I am not on exede", I guess what I am saying is that I am in the weaker band area. We don't have the high speed service in my area yet. No new generation. So I am still on the older service plan. When I first signed up 6 1/2 years ago, I was getting only 1.5 Mbps, 12 Gigs per month. When Exede took over last year, so as to not leave us behind, we were boosted up to 3 Mbps and 12 Gigs per month to be used anytime. This was all I was trying to get at. :)

No, DishNet is just a branded reseller (of satellite internet access). You may get either HughesNet or Exede through them. Nor did Dishnet have anyhing to do with the Wildblue sellout. It was ViaSat was who bought the old Wildblue, and subsequently renamed it Exede. Dish Network (Echostar) has an agreement with ViaSat and HughesNet to resell their products under the DishNet name. Ain't a whole lot different than gettin' DirecTV through WalMart.

//greg//

Actually, Echostar ownes Hughes Network Systems, who owns HughesNet.

Welcome to SatelliteGuys from a fellow New Mexican, please excuse grohgreg, most here at SatelliteGuys are much more polite, no help for your problem here as I'm on a wireless IP provider.

Thanks for the kind words and the welcome! So you are out on the eastern plains of New Mexico?....I am located in the south central mountains, been up here 20 years, came up from the desert floor and aching to get back down. LOL

South of Carlsbad, not that far from you as the crow flies...

Ah...You are just coming into a fair season...we on the other hand are staring at winter. (Where's the heat!) Yikes! I haven't been to Carlsbad in years...love your territory. Unfortunately this "Crow" has been grounded far too long up here...LOL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)