Attn Dirt, I need help with hopper upgrade

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I am dish customer that is not under contract and I would like to get a free upgrade to the hopper 3. I have been a customer for about 4 years.

I was a Dish customer in good standing for 6 years and never a late payment with one VIP 722K DVR and one VIP 211K receiver and out of contract .

I got a real decent new customer offer for a double play from my longstanding ATT ISP for an ATT /DirecTV bundle . Dish would not match it or come close on the TV portion of the bundle price with virtually an identical upper mid tier channel package .

For my customer retention inquiry Dish TV would not do any equipment upgrades to the newer Hopper devices without substantial cost and monthly rental increases and a new agreement and would not match the two more rooms D*TV provided free . Dish TV wanted substantial 2 more room cabling charges for an ordinary simple job also above probably $300.00- $400.00 all total for a Hopper DVR and 3 room clients with a new agreement .

IIRC the Dish Hopper wired clients were 50.00 Ea and 100.00- 200.00 for the HR 54 and maybe 40.00 ea to activate but I could be off here so don't take this as accurate but it was some money , increased device rentals all around and by implication an increased mo. bill and not free and individual charges to wire 2 more rooms in an otherwise normal and ordinary installation that didn't take D*TV long for 4 rooms of HD which is the standard new customer offer there ,

The long and short of it my TV part of the ATT/D*TV bundle is $50.00 cheaper per mo. .with the new customer 2 year lock from ATT/D*TV and a $200.00 Visa reward and I picked up two more room's wired in and a whole house Genie HR 54 DVR and 3 wired room clients all at no charge at all and no monthly fees .

The net result beyond all that is a significantly better HDTV picture ( much better than I expected based on my years with Dish TV ) but also not a very good SD picture compared to Dish TV .and my TV portion bill at end of two years is estimated to be somewhat less than what I have been paying Dish TV for 2 rooms and the old devices whereas I have the latest D*TV devices ,two more rooms and a 2 year device upgrade privilege at no charge should the need arise but that is included in a $7.00 mo. optional prot. plan so it's not really a free privilege in the literal sense .

I don't watch much SD and I can get better SD than both D*TV and Dish TV have on IPTV and Hulu Plus anyway so no big loss . I prefer the significantly better HD picture on D*TV with much less MPEG artifacts ,better shadow detail ,lower noise floor and no posturization and color stripping on HD ,better dynamic range and color volume within 720p/ 1080p SDR and much better overall and sharper HD picture that is usually pin sharp up-scaled to 4K on my Sony XBR here but unfortunately a lousy SD picture on D*TV here so pick your poison and good luck getting anything free from Dish TV they wouldn't give it up for me maybe YMMV .

It would be nice if Dish TV had the D*TV HDTV picture and if D*TV had Dish TV SD picture ...........you can't win you have to choose what you deem acceptable and I've read some folks like the Hoppers at Dish much better anyway ?

..........Let us know how it all shakes out for you . ?

Last edited:
I was a Dish customer in good standing for 6 years and never a late payment with one VIP 722K DVR and one VIP 211K receiver and out of contract .

I got a real decent new customer offer for a double play from my longstanding ATT ISP for an ATT /DirecTV bundle . Dish would not match it or come close on the TV portion of the bundle price with virtually an identical upper mid tier channel package .

For my customer retention inquiry Dish TV would not do any equipment upgrades to the newer Hopper devices without substantial cost and monthly rental increases and a new agreement and would not match the two more rooms D*TV provided free . Dish TV wanted substantial 2 more room cabling charges for an ordinary simple job also above probably $300.00- $400.00 all total for a Hopper DVR and 3 room clients with a new agreement .

IIRC the Dish Hopper wired clients were 50.00 Ea and 100.00- 200.00 for the HR 54 and maybe 40.00 ea to activate but I could be off here so don't take this as accurate but it was some money , increased device rentals all around and by implication an increased mo. bill and not free and individual charges to wire 2 more rooms in an otherwise normal and ordinary installation that didn't take D*TV long for 4 rooms of HD which is the standard new customer offer there ,

The long and short of it my TV part of the ATT/D*TV bundle is $50.00 cheaper per mo. .with the new customer 2 year lock from ATT/D*TV and a $200.00 Visa reward and I picked up two more room's wired in and a whole house Genie HR 54 DVR and 3 wired room clients all at no charge at all and no monthly fees .

The net result beyond all that is a significantly better HDTV picture ( much better than I expected based on my years with Dish TV ) but also not a very good SD picture compared to Dish TV .and my TV portion bill at end of two years is estimated to be somewhat less than what I have been paying Dish TV for 2 rooms and the old devices whereas I have the latest D*TV devices ,two more rooms and a 2 year device upgrade privilege at no charge should the need arise but that is included in a $7.00 mo. optional prot. plan so it's not really a free privilege in the literal sense .

I don't watch much SD and I can get better SD than both D*TV and Dish TV have on IPTV and Hulu Plus anyway so no big loss . I prefer the significantly better HD picture on D*TV with much less MPEG artifacts ,better shadow detail and no posturization and color stripping on HD and much better overall and sharper HD picture that is usually pin sharp up-scaled to 4K on my Sony XBR here but unfortunately a lousy SD picture on D*TV here so pick your poison and good luck getting anything free from Dish TV they wouldn't give it up for me maybe YMMV .

It would be nice if Dish TV had the D*TV HDTV picture and if D*TV had Dish TV SD picture ...........you can't win you have to choose what you deem acceptable and I've read some folks like the Hoppers at Dish much better anyway

..........Let us know how it all shakes out for you .

I was a Dish customer for 7 months
And $50 is all they wanted to upgrade my 2 hopper 2 Joey setup.
That was including the installation.

So if you were out of a contract with VIP equipment they wouldn't upgrade you to a Hopper 3 for $50 or less?

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)