AU-9 Dish with splitter

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jwhite6069

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
Cave City, Ky
In a few days I am going to install a new HD-DVR at my father in law's house. Will a DIRECTV SPLIT4 work with a AU-9 dish with no swm on an hr-24 dvr?

If you mean a swm4 splitter, then no, it won't work. Splitters only work with swm setups.

So there is no splitter that work for a non-swm system?

Non SWM systems can't use splitters - ANY splitters. Each tuner needs a separate cable from the dish. Or if you have more than four tuners, four cables from the dish to a WB68 or an SWM8 multiswitch (with power inserter). From the SWM8 multiswitch, you can then run a single cable to a DVR and use splitters to drive other SWM-compatible receivers.

Non SWM systems can't use splitters - ANY splitters. Each tuner needs a separate cable from the dish. Or if you have more than four tuners, four cables from the dish to a WB68 or an SWM8 multiswitch (with power inserter). From the SWM8 multiswitch, you can then run a single cable to a DVR and use splitters to drive other SWM-compatible receivers.

Well put !

Unless you need more than eight tuners, I'd just buy a SWM LNB off ebay for around $30 with the power supply/splitter.

Saves you going under the house and only one cable needed from dish into the house.

Did this same thing for my father this summer - upgrading his setup, cost me a little extra but well worth my time/making the job easier.

This isn't entirely true, but given what the OP seeks, it answers the question.
Within the scope of the question, it's correct. The only real use of splitters in a non-SWM system is where you want to drive multiple multiswitches in parallel, and that does not apply here.

Then perhaps you could tell us what non swm setup uses splitters.
As texasbrit subsequently acknowledges, splitters have their place in non-SWiM systems and he goes on to reiterate what I already covered about not applying in this instance.

For those looking to add an HR34 to an existing legacy system (given that, absent RVU clients, the HR34 makes a better mega-tuner DVR than a video server), splitters may be just the ticket.

As texasbrit subsequently acknowledges, splitters have their place in non-SWiM systems and he goes on to reiterate what I already covered about not applying in this instance.

For those looking to add an HR34 to an existing legacy system (given that, absent RVU clients, the HR34 makes a better mega-tuner DVR than a video server), splitters may be just the ticket.

Not sure what you mean, since an HR34 will only work on SWM....unless you mean installing an SWM8 and a WB68 in parallel...

Not sure what you mean, since an HR34 will only work on SWM....unless you mean installing an SWM8 and a WB68 in parallel...
That's what I mean. Many have little interest in WHDS but want a DVR that won't miss a program for lack of tuners.

That's what I mean. Many have little interest in WHDS but want a DVR that won't miss a program for lack of tuners.

So you ARE talking about a swm system using a splitter. That's not what you said before. Besides, why would you use an SWM8 and a WB68? Just get a SWM16 and no splitter is needed. Perhaps your information comes from before the SWM16 was available.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)