Audio Drop Outs - Hopper 3

mfkf11

Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
United States
I've searched the forum and I have yet to see an answer by Dish Support to multiple questions being posed on audio drop outs. On a number of stations, PBS and Fox News are the worst, I get audio drop outs. The picture is fine and I see the lips moving but no sound. The sound will come on within seconds and continue. It usually happens at the beginning of a new clip in the program.

I have 1 Hopper 3 and 1 Joey 4K.
Software Ver. U531 date 1/25/2019

This has been going on for at least a year and is very annoying. To the point where I'm debating switching services. I don't feel confident that Dish Support has an answer and the Youtube help video doesn't cover this problem.

I have a Sony 4K Bravia XBR55850C which has its own internal apps, i.e. Netflix, HBO Now, YouTube, etc and when using those apps I do not get any audio drop offs which I assume eliminates the Soundbar. I also have a Yamaha BlueRay player, no problem with DVDs and sound.

I'm not knowledgeable about Satellite services and the conversion (if any of the satellite signal) but I did have a similar problem a long time ago. I had VOIP telephone service and was constantly having audio drops but I was not having any data problems. Turns out after a Sniffer was put on the line by the ISP they saw packet losses and that caused the audio problems. Data errors had a recoverable ability to get the packets, audio did not.

I've searched the forum and I have yet to see an answer by Dish Support to multiple questions being posed on audio drop outs. On a number of stations, PBS and Fox News are the worst, I get audio drop outs. The picture is fine and I see the lips moving but no sound. The sound will come on within seconds and continue. It usually happens at the beginning of a new clip in the program.

I have 1 Hopper 3 and 1 Joey 4K.
Software Ver. U531 date 1/25/2019

This has been going on for at least a year and is very annoying. To the point where I'm debating switching services. I don't feel confident that Dish Support has an answer and the Youtube help video doesn't cover this problem.

I have a Sony 4K Bravia XBR55850C which has its own internal apps, i.e. Netflix, HBO Now, YouTube, etc and when using those apps I do not get any audio drop offs which I assume eliminates the Soundbar. I also have a Yamaha BlueRay player, no problem with DVDs and sound.

I'm not knowledgeable about Satellite services and the conversion (if any of the satellite signal) but I did have a similar problem a long time ago. I had VOIP telephone service and was constantly having audio drops but I was not having any data problems. Turns out after a Sniffer was put on the line by the ISP they saw packet losses and that caused the audio problems. Data errors had a recoverable ability to get the packets, audio did not.

I've got a Sony XBR55X850C in the other room and a XBR60X830F in this room and neither have any of the problems you describe. Have you tried a different HDMI port or maybe component?

Reactions: charlesrshell
I've got a Sony XBR55X850C in the other room and a XBR60X830F in this room and neither have any of the problems you describe. Have you tried a different HDMI port or maybe component?
Thanks, but the problem is only on certain broadcast channels. For example no problems with any ESPN channels, local CBS and NBC. I have problems with drop outs with my local Fox channel, Local PBS, Fox News (I'm going to start keeping track of specific incidents, time and channels). I don't see the problem with CNN or MSNBC. No problems with any of the Premium channels through Dish. So I can't believe it's a HDMI cable or port on the Sony. It's also shows up when I've recorded the program or whether I watch it live. So it has to be something with the programming feed coming into the Hopper 3. A mystery.

Thanks, but the problem is only on certain broadcast channels. For example no problems with any ESPN channels, local CBS and NBC. I have problems with drop outs with my local Fox channel, Local PBS, Fox News (I'm going to start keeping track of specific incidents, time and channels). I don't see the problem with CNN or MSNBC. No problems with any of the Premium channels through Dish. So I can't believe it's a HDMI cable or port on the Sony. It's also shows up when I've recorded the program or whether I watch it live. So it has to be something with the programming feed coming into the Hopper 3. A mystery.

My local ABC station has this problem at times. I got the dropouts on OTA when I had a Tivo Roamio and on DirecTV as well. It seems to be a problem on their end. I don't have Fox News in my package, so I cannot comment on that.

Sounds more to me like an issue with the local feeds once it gets to the local Dish hub. I'd say it has nothing to do with the Hopper.

Sounds more to me like an issue with the local feeds once it gets to the local Dish hub. I'd say it has nothing to do with the Hopper.

Except he said that it also happens on Fox News. A mystery. :what

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts