Audio dropouts with Hopper3

lotusguy

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 22, 2011
Orange County, CA
I have a Hopper3 with Sling and recently I noticed an odd phenomenon. When viewing a recorded channel with Dolby surround sound, the center channel will intermittently drop out for anywhere from a fraction of a second to several seconds. If I rewind and replay the scene, the sound is there. Left and right channels seem unaffected. My Hopper 3 is connected to an Onkyo AV receiver via HDMI as are my blu-ray player and Roku. Neither of the latter have ever exhibited this behavior.

Any thoughts.

You can go into audio settings on the Hopper, set for PCM, Leveling off and the last entry set to Wide and see what happens

Reactions: lotusguy
You can go into audio settings on the Hopper, set for PCM, Leveling off and the last entry set to Wide and see what happens
Thanks, HipKat. That's the way I have them set. The phenomenon is intermittent. For example, I did not notice it on any shows I watched tonight. It appears most often on CBS, although I have noted it on other networks also.

Reactions: HipKat
Intermittent dropouts as described are relatively common and have existed for many years, across multiple dvr receivers. For me, starting back with a 625.

Last edited:
I had dropouts with the original Hopper in 2012. I solved it by bypassing the HDMI audio and using an optical fiber connection to the AVR. However, the dropouts were a complete loss of sound, not just the center channel.

I moved to the Hopper3 w/ Sling from a VIP722. I do not recall any audio problems other than the occasional loss of sync with the older DVR. When the H3 dropouts get really annoying, I switch the AVR to stereo (which switches off Dolby decoding) and live with 2-channel sound. I wonder if signal strength has anything to do with this. Is there a way to check the signal strength of each satellite?

I have a Hopper3 with Sling and recently I noticed an odd phenomenon. When viewing a recorded channel with Dolby surround sound, the center channel will intermittently drop out for anywhere from a fraction of a second to several seconds. If I rewind and replay the scene, the sound is there. Left and right channels seem unaffected. My Hopper 3 is connected to an Onkyo AV receiver via HDMI as are my blu-ray player and Roku. Neither of the latter have ever exhibited this behavior.

Any thoughts.
Not only on hoppers, VIP's as well

Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)