Audio getting cut off

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lnbchris

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 1, 2014
Cleveland
Hi, there is a new phenomenon that I am experiencing, maybe someone out there has a clue. I am randomly getting a channel banner popup on the hour, and then the channel I am tuned into loses the audio. The "duct tape fix" for it so far is just to change it to a different channel and then back again, which is not satisfactory.

I was originally using HDMI for digital audio when it started happening, then switched to using RCA jacks for analog audio - just in case it was an HDMI error, and it continued. It has happened at least a few times recently. It just happened again today (Thursday) at 2:00pm EST.

This is happening through a Genie Client
C41-100
software version 0x750 (dated August 8, 2014)
and a Genie DVR
HR44-500
software version 0x93d (dated Nov 4, 2014)

So it might be a new feature that can be disabled, or a glitch that still needs to be worked out. Hopefully it can be made to go away.

Any ideas or clues??

Thanks
Chris

Is this on both tvs or just one? It sounds like a problem with the genie itself to me.

I have the HR-44 and a Client both in the same room, and so far have only noticed it on the Client. This is a new behavior, it has not done this since I got it several months ago.

Someone on the other forum that I provided the link for above said that it didn't happen on the HR-44, just on the Clients, so swapping the outputs of the two units will be my next test.

I get it sometimes on my HR24. Using the <-- button brings the audio back. It's probably software related.

I get it sometimes on my HR24. Using the <-- button brings the audio back. It's probably software related.

Hi, thanks for confirming. I am thinking it probably might be tied to "0x93d". You think they will get around to fixing this kind of thing??

I'm sure they will, probably sooner than later.

I think I see a new toggle command on my settings/display/video menu, "HDMI Control". I went through all the settings when I first got this over the Summer, and don't recall seeing that before. Furthermore I would have disabled it. So the fact that I don't recall seeing it before, and would have disabled it leads me to believe it may in fact be a new addition. If that's the case, then I think they are making a mistake by automatically enabling it. The area around that menu makes no mention of it, but describes everything else on that screen, which also might indicate it to be new.

Also I have read about some people who have changed the display from "Native" to "Pillarbox", which solved some HDMI issues (but not this one specifically, as I am having sound issues both with the HDMI and with the analog RCA jacks).

So as a test I have just disabled the HDMI Control feature, which I believe to be new, in case that might be causing the sound to drop out. (To recap, the channel banner sometimes briefly pops up at the beginning of a new program slot, and then disappears, and then the sound is dead until there is user intervention.)

The HDMI control setting allows the tv to turn on automatically when the Directv unit is powered up.

Last edited:
The HDMI control setting allows the tv to turn on automatically when the Directv is powered up.

I am just considering anything that might be new without any regard for the intended function, as intended function and actual function are two different things.

Edit: to remove smiley face, it was too cutesy.

I get this on my HR24 also but only from playback. Every few minutes I'll get one sound drop followed by another.
HR44 no issues.

Was watching the Ohio State/Minnesota game today on my H24 on ABC. There were and still are on the 2nd game numerous momentary drop-outs. I switched over from DTV to my antenna. Same thing. So at least in my case today, the issue is not with DTV but with the Network or the local station. And as I can recall, I have had this problem on and off with this same station on DTV.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)