Audio issue with DISH and PC to TV converters

deviousrlm

Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
Hello!

I have a DISH 522 system and I have 2 of these devices hooked up on separate computer monitors in my house:

http://www.electronicexpress.com/product?prod_id=5026&refer=6

They generally work well w/ SVideo & DVD players, but when I hook up the coax to the back (and the audio with stereo plug --> RCA out to my receiver), I get a lot of audio noise, but ONLY when there is a lot of 'white' on the screen. This happens on both devices, so I don't think I have a bad device...

I even tried buying a different device (a viewsonic N4) but this device didn't work properly (I have to send it back--coax in doesn't even work).

To get around using the audio out issue, I tried to hook up a VCR directly to the coax, and then RCA out to my receiver. Now rather than having audio noise when the screen is white, I just get a annoying hum that happens non-stop. I tried this with a number of different VCRs as well all to the same result.

Any idea what is happening here? When I hook up TV, I don't appear to have any issues with the audio, but when trying to hook up audio from coax to my receiver, it either has a constant low hum, or that problem with the noice when the screen is white.

My questions:

1) is there a way to filter the audio to remove the noice when the screen is 'white'?
2) if not, why would I have so much audio noice simply going from coax --> VCR --> RCA out to the receiver?
3) Anyone have similar problems or tried anything else that has worked?

Equipment:
Dish 522, I have that signal modulated with 1001F 125 Channel RF modulators. Again, TV's work fine (but lower quality audio, so maybe it doesn't pick it up), but get this noise when hooking up to the TV to PC converters as well as the VCR and Receiver.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Sounds like a ground loop to me. How far away from the 522 are these devices? Does the GE box accept RF (does it have a built-in NTSC tuner?) or are you running "shielded" video cable between the 522 and the GE converter?

Also, I don't have a 522, but isn't the built-in modulator on the 522 capable of MTS stereo and frequency-agile to boot? Unless you want to send both TV1 and TV2 out?