Audio Problem With Locals

retexan599

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
Sugar Land, TX
Sound quality on certain of my local DISH satellite HD channels has gotten very poor starting a couple of days ago (11/28, 11/29). It is as if there is now an ‘echo’, or as if the people speaking are far away from their microphones. Details:

• DISH ViP622, L3.65, DISH Silver package
    • using component video cables & RCA sound (not HDMI)
  • Problem is on three of the four Houston locals:
    • 6389 KTRK (ABC)
    • 6390 KHOU (CBS)
    • 6391 KPRC (NBC)
  • Problem not heard on 6392 KRIV (FOX)
  • Problem not heard on the NTSC (SD) versions of the three channels; 8370, 8371, 8372.
  • Problem occurs on both TV1 and TV2; I use the TV’s speakers for sound; no external speakers.
  • All of these channels are on Satellite 110 TP 4s16, including the three with problems and the one with no problem.
  • I have checked numerous other channels (both HD and SD) and no others have this problem.
  • Power off reset does not cure the problem.
Any advice before I contact DISH?

Thanks

Same here with the DFW locals. ABC seems to be the worst. Also lots of picture breakups on the DFW FOX station.

HD Local Audio is still a problem for me

Sound quality on certain of my local DISH satellite HD channels has gotten very poor starting a couple of days ago (11/28, 11/29). It is as if there is now an ‘echo’, or as if the people speaking are far away from their microphones. Details:
  • DISH ViP622, L3.65, DISH Silver package
    • using component video cables & RCA sound (not HDMI)
  • Problem is on three of the four Houston locals:
    • 6389 KTRK (ABC)
    • 6390 KHOU (CBS)
    • 6391 KPRC (NBC)
  • Problem not heard on 6392 KRIV (FOX)
  • Problem not heard on the NTSC (SD) versions of the three channels; 8370, 8371, 8372.
  • Problem occurs on both TV1 and TV2; I use the TV’s speakers for sound; no external speakers.
  • All of these channels are on Satellite 110 TP 4s16, including the three with problems and the one with no problem.
  • I have checked numerous other channels (both HD and SD) and no others have this problem.
  • Power off reset does not cure the problem.
Any advice before I contact DISH?
Thanks

I have contacted DISH via email and here is the gist of what they replied:

"Thank you for your e-mail. Thank you for providing the information for our engineering department. They will try to resolve this issue as soon as possible. Unfortunately, there is not a way for us to know the status of their work; these issues are usually fixed in a software update. Please remember to turn off your receiver when you are not watching TV, so that it can receive the update when it becomes available"

The reply looks like a boilerplate response. So, I will start trying to make a phone complaint. I suppose I might try contacting my local TV stations as well?

I am having the same problem. I called Dishnetwork and they said it was my 622.
Dishnetwork sent me a new 622. I installed it and it did the same audio warbling thing on those Houston HD locals. So I sent it back. It must be a Houston source problem.

IT is at Dish's end. All 4 hd networks from Houston did not do the audio warbeling till a few weeks back. I suspect it has something to do with the mpeg4 compression that they are using. A few weeks back I was seeing green blocking on several shows on Abc in Houston . THat has gone away to be replaced by the audio warbeling. THis has got to be the dish engineers tweaking the video problem and that in turn causing the audio problems we all enjoy now.

This evening I listened to each of the three local Houston channels that had been having the warbling/echo problem. All three of them sounded fine during the evening news broadcasts. Hopefully this means the problem has been addressed and resolved. I think it clearly was not my ViP622 at fault, as it is the same unit I have had all along. It is good to have a forum like this to marshall together a common effort to proactively go after such problems. Thanks to all!

I too listened to all 4 of the Houston locals and the audio warbeling is now gone, but now the green screen pixelations have returned on ABC. I still say it has something to do with the mpeg4 encoders and how they compress the channels. When they try to fix the video problems - green screen pixelations, which had recently improved, they caused the audio warbeling. Now that they fixed the audio , the green screens have returned. Oh well maybe the second generation mpeg4 encoders will make a difference. It should improve with time.

My problem is low volume on NBC ch5 DFW. I have to turn the sound up so loud on my Kenwood 150 watt a chanel 5.1 system it hisses. Other chanels are very loud when I change chanels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts