Audio Randomly Drops

short6in

Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
Georgia
I have posted this in the Hopper Technical Problems forum and have yet to get a response which makes sense.

I have a Joey connected via HDMI to a 40" LCD Emerson TV and the audio randomly drops. By randomly I mean; it could drop out at 10 minutes, 1.5 hours, 5 minutes, or not at all. There is no pattern to it. It happens when watching a DVR program, local channels, PPV, and any other random channel. I have to power cycle the TV to get audio back. I have tried changing cables, changing ports, and even changed the Joey with one from Dish. Any ideas?

All of the research I have found tells me its the TV. However, I can't return the TV. The Hopper and Joeys are both using the latest software.

Any ideas?

I have posted this in the Hopper Technical Problems forum and have yet to get a response which makes sense.

I have a Joey connected via HDMI to a 40" LCD Emerson TV and the audio randomly drops. By randomly I mean; it could drop out at 10 minutes, 1.5 hours, 5 minutes, or not at all. There is no pattern to it. It happens when watching a DVR program, local channels, PPV, and any other random channel. I have to power cycle the TV to get audio back. I have tried changing cables, changing ports, and even changed the Joey with one from Dish. Any ideas?

All of the research I have found tells me its the TV. However, I can't return the TV. The Hopper and Joeys are both using the latest software.

Any ideas?

Found this possible fix

Change the output from Dolby/PCM to PCM only. I found this possible solution on the Dish Support Forums at https://support.dish.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=924&start=10

I have been testing the results of this over the last 3 hours and it seems to have been resolved. No drops since I made the change to PCM Only. I usually have MANY drops in that period of time. I will continue to update here over the next few days to see if the issue pops up again.

I have a LNT3253HX/XAA Samsung 32" LCD purchased in 2007. Was having the same problem when connected only with HDMI cable with both the Joey and Roku the sound would drop out, the video would flicker for just an instant and then no sound, had to turn the tv off then back on to regain sound. Called Dish had them send me a new Joey and they also suggested doing the PCM thing like you suggested, still the same problem. Problem was with the tv itself, i had never updated the firmware since i purchased in 2007, the firmware was at 1006, updated today 06/07/13 to 1023 and seems to have resolved the issue, i imagine there were a few updates to the firmware between 1006 and 1023 but i did not know that you could update the firmware on the tv, something you may want to look into.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)