Buying Hopper Equipment Instead of Contract?

robertw477

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
I just left Dish after 13 yrs but I was wondering about this for others who are having issues with Dish regarding upgrades and such to the new Hopper. Isnt it cheaper for those customers to just buy the Hopper themselves and not sign a 24 month equipment agreement. Based on what Dish charges I think you come out way ahead and can still sell those receivers you own on ebay or something after the two yrs if you want another upgrade?

Rob

Monthly fees are the same whether you own or lease. How could you save money?

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

a lot of people get that crazy idea and buy the equipment before doing any homework. Then they get their next bill and realize all the monthly fees are still there....

At one time you could buy a HwS for $199 w/o contract. Guess what Dish charges for a leased HwS with 2yr contract?

Based on what Dish charges I think you come out way ahead and can still sell those receivers you own on ebay or something after the two yrs if you want another upgrade?

If you own your receiver, you can sell it whenever you want. if you lease a receiver, you cannot sell it at any time, contact or no contract.

Just checked. You can still buy a HWS for $199 w/free shipping. http://dishdepot.com/dish_receivers.jsp Solid Signal also sells it for $209. Considering what Dish used to charge for their receivers, this is quite a deal. Contracts are for sissies. ;)

Last edited:
Yes.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

thank you. i like the sound of that as it's an option to consider if needed that directv doesn't offer. with D* if it's a new receiver leased or owned, you are obligated into a 2 year contract.

Plan A and Plan B customers can upgrade to the Hopper for free right now. You may have to pay the tech visit fee but otherwise it's free with renewing a 24 month contract. Don't forget the you also need to purchase a node to install it which would be included in the upgrade. Makes no sense to me to purchase the equipment unless you're the type that prefers to own all of your equipment. If trying to do it in order to save money, it's not going to work.

Plan A and Plan B customers can upgrade to the Hopper for free right now. You may have to pay the tech visit fee but otherwise it's free with renewing a 24 month contract. Don't forget the you also need to purchase a node to install it which would be included in the upgrade. Makes no sense to me to purchase the equipment unless you're the type that prefers to own all of your equipment. If trying to do it in order to save money, it's not going to work.

The only "benefit" of owning is not being tied down to the contract....

If I'm throwing down hundreds of dollars for equipment I hope that I plan on keeping it for more than 2 years. I'm the type of guy that doesn't like returning or selling things so, I like to hang on to things. Being in a contract isn't that bad. If you hate your service that much just buy your way out or switch to another provider that helps pay for it. Either way you'd probably spend the same amount of money.

It is worth it. I just switched from the orig Hopper to the HWS. Actually 2 for2. The HWS is much faster. Internet access is bulit in as is the sling. I actually sold one of my sling adapters to the installer. I'd always had problems connecting with Dish Anywhere. Once I followed the instructions, found out what I was doing wrong and I now can connect to either Hopper. Which is good since we will be going on vacation for 2 weeks towards the end of June.

How much more?

I'm out of contract leasing a 722k with an owned 211 (no EHD...). I definitely need to go ahead and pull the trigger on a Hopper. The only issue is how much more the HWS is and is it worth the extra cost (to me)?

This varies by account. I can look into this for you if you'd like. Just send me a PM with your account information to do so.

How much more?

I'm out of contract leasing a 722k with an owned 211 (no EHD...). I definitely need to go ahead and pull the trigger on a Hopper. The only issue is how much more the HWS is and is it worth the extra cost (to me)?

Dirt would have to look it up since it can vary by account. They'll let you know.

I was considering adding another Joey for the extra bedroom, and when I called I was told it would be $50 fee plus a $15 tech fee and I would have to sign another 2 year contract. Looking on ebay I saw them ranging anywhere from $50-$100 just for the Joey. To me, to take the time off work for the tech to come out, plus the $65 I would be charged, plus keeping me under contract longer, I felt that it would be cheaper to buy a Joey over leasing one. DIRT said they would knock it down to $25 instead of $50, but still. In a situation like that I feel that it would be better to buy it.

Rewind a little, and I got my Hopper like 3 days before they announced the HWS. I called multiple times asking about it and was told I could get it without a charge. When it was finally released they were going to charge me $200 for the upgrade. I was able to talk them into upgrading me for free, but if I would have still had to pay the $200 for leased equipment then I would purchase it over paying an upgrade fee, as I can at least get some money back when I swap equipment or leave Dish where as the leased equipment I would have spent the same amount of money and get nothing back in return.

If in a year they come out with the Hopper 3 (or when ever), and I want to upgrade it, I will more than likely purchase the equipment vs paying an upgrade fee of close to the same amount for equipment I would never own.

Last edited:
The only "benefit" of owning is not being tied down to the contract....

There ARE a couple others:
- you can turn owned receivers on/off at will; good for guest rooms, traveling receivers, etc.
You CAN'T turn off a leased receiver w/out having to also return it.

- if you decide to cancel DISH & you have shows on your DVR, you CAN continue to watch DVR'd shows - as long as you disco the receiver from the sat signal - & NOT have to return the DVR.

a lot of people get that crazy idea and buy the equipment before doing any homework. Then they get their next bill and realize all the monthly fees are still there....

I was just wondering myself since things were different in the past. On another note I cancelled and Dish mailed me the return boxes. I packed them and shipped them the next day. Today I got a nasty automated phone call telling me they will charge me for the receivers and such. I dare them to charge me one cent. Dish had my parents paying 95.00 a month for zero programming. No premiums and they were not even getting the standard HD channel package. They are pulling out as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)