Aug 15th HD Upgrade

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

brentp

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
So, . . . Aug 15th is here, and I want my future Deadliest Catch in HD! An upgrade is now mandatory! :)

After a 2nd call to Dish (1st resulted in 'can you please hold' every other broken English sentence), . . . this is what I was told via the tech line. BTW - this CSR agent sounded VERY familiar with all the changes that took place today.

Equipment Upgrade Costs (w/18 month pro-rated commitment);

$149 up front for a 622 w/$100 mail in rebate (in 8 - 10 weeks - need first bill)
$199 up front for a 722 w/$100 mail in rebate (same as above)

Programming Cost Changes:

From $54.97/month

AT100 w/Locals - $34.99
Add'l Rcvr (6000 + 508) - $5.00
Old HD Pkg - $9.99
Golf Channel ala carte - $4.99

To $66.96/month

AT100 (drop locals - I get all the Boston Digital OTA now) - $29.99
New HD Cost - $20.00
DVR Fee - $5.98
Lease Fee - $6.00

Plus, I was told that I would qualify for HD Free for 6 months - $20 credit to my account for the first 6 months.

So, . . . a few question on this;

1) Is the 722 really $199 up front for the Dish 'n it Up Promo? Thought I read that it too would be $149 (622 discontinued).

1a) Is it worth $50 more for the add'l HDD space? - I think so.

2) Do I really qualify for the free HD for 6 months promo as an existing sub?

3) Do I really have to pay the lease fee if I drop to a single rcvr (thought I read that some do not pay this with a single rcvr)?

4) Not sure anyone knows this one - but will the Golf Channel ala carte qualify me for Golf/Versus HD? - I really want to get Golf HD - but not willing to go to AT250 to get it.

5) Anything else jump out at anybody as incorrect or confusing on this?

Thanks in advance!

So, . . . Aug 15th is here, and I want my future Deadliest Catch in HD! An upgrade is now mandatory! :)

After a 2nd call to Dish (1st resulted in 'can you please hold' every other broken English sentence), . . . this is what I was told via the tech line. BTW - this CSR agent sounded VERY familiar with all the changes that took place today.

Equipment Upgrade Costs (w/18 month pro-rated commitment);

$149 up front for a 622 w/$100 mail in rebate (in 8 - 10 weeks - need first bill)
$199 up front for a 722 w/$100 mail in rebate (same as above)

Programming Cost Changes:

From $54.97/month

AT100 w/Locals - $34.99
Add'l Rcvr (6000 + 508) - $5.00
Old HD Pkg - $9.99

To $66.96/month

AT100 (drop locals - I get all the Boston Digital OTA now) - $29.99
New HD Cost - $20.00
DVR Fee - $5.98
Lease Fee - $6.00

Plus, I was told that I would qualify for HD Free for 6 months - $20 credit to my account for the first 6 months.

So, . . . a few question on this;

1) Is the 722 really $199 up front for the Dish 'n it Up Promo? Thought I read that it too would be $149 (622 discontinued).

1a) Is it worth $50 more for the add'l HDD space? - I think so.

2) Do I really qualify for the free HD for 6 months promo as an existing sub?

3) Do I really have to pay the lease fee if I drop to a single rcvr (thought I read that some do not pay this with a single rcvr)?

4) Not sure anyone knows this one - but will the Golf Channel ala carte qualify me for Golf/Versus HD? - I really want to get Golf HD - but not willing to go to AT250 to get it.

5) Anything else jump out at anybody as incorrect or confusing on this?

Thanks in advance!
Sorry I don't have time to answer ALL you questions, but you should look into the AT200 DVR advantage. No DVR fee and locals included. More channels for nearly the same cost. If you dump locals, you will not have OTAs in your program guide, and would have to set manual timers. External HD support started today, so the 622 is still very viable unless you think you would be using VOD. Then you would want a 722. But, you will not be getting a lot more drive space since it has a dedicated VOD partition. Gotta go. Hope this helps.

Alright - we went ahead with the order. Key decision points;

New HD Channels of real 'value' to me (Disc, TLC, Food, History, TBD Future)
Vip722 - $199 upfront ($100 rebate credit to bill)
6 months 'Free HD'

One thing the CSR said was that I MUST have this professionally installed to change out my DISH. I currently have a Dish 500 pointed at 110 & 119, and a single Dish pointed at 61.5. I am assuming that they will simply install a Dish 1000 to replace the Dish 500 to add the 129 location as well as my switches .

However, current channel mapping looks like this does not gain us anything (any HD channels on the 129 SAT are replicated on 61.5 - or so it appears). So - is this something that HAS to be done, or just something that they want to do to future proof? Anyone know?

And - the answers to my own questions for others, . . . (at least this is what I have been lead to believe - only the bill will tell the truth)

1) Yes - $199 for a 722 Dish'n It Up (from a 6000)- $100 future rebate/credit. Looks like others are getting this quote as well.

1a) A personal choice, but to me - yes $50 more for 722 vs 622 is ok.

2) Yes - got this from 2 different CSRs - Free HD for 6 Months in my case (from original $9.99 HD Pak).

3) No Lease Fee - the CSR that wrote up the order confirmed that if this is the only receiver on my bill - I do not have to pay the $6/month lease fee for this 722. Guess the 508 goes to ebay. Not sure if the 6000 has any value these days.

4) The CSR couldn't answer this one. I was 'grandfathered' in on The Golf Channel via ala carte (sub since 1996) and was told it would be impossible to add TGC this way today. CSR was pretty sure that I would not get Golf/Versus HD even with TGC ala carte active. Of course - that doesn't stop me from asking after the install - :)

I too was first told no lease fee on the 722 but then later on told there was. Can anyone else chime in on this? Also I was charged 229 or 249 for my 722 (Can't remember as I ordered mine at five am). I've been with dish for over two years now and was using a 522 so I don't know why I got charged more than anyone else

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts