Automatic Polarity Controller

Status
Please reply by conversation.

john_robot

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
I found this item on ebay. Do any of you guys able to check this out ? Do you think this will work good ?

1.jpg

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Very tempted to order one.

Inside the house by the receiver.

So then I need co rotor cables run to the dish from the house?

Was hoping to go coax to the dish then from the box to the servo.

My question is where does it go? Inside the house or out by the dish? I don't have power out by the dish.
You could put in a weather proof box by your dish and not have to run wires into the house, but if you want to tweak the skew, you have to go outside. I would run an 18/3 (18 AWG 3 wire) into the house and put the device beside the STB. I use a less sophisticated design for the same purpose (see photo).
555ictimerchipst9.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah you would have to run another set of wires to the dish for the polar-rotor. You could use something small like cat-5 for that, so would not be very hard. I guess you could put at dish if you ran power out there. I think running control wires would be way easier. Also you can adjust the polarity with the knob to find the "sweet spot". It comes in very handy on some signals.

All my wires are underground and ground is starting to freeze already.

But I may bite on one anyways as it looks like I might have a good deal on a corotor II+ with LNB's. :) I am hoping that one of those would perform better then these C/KU LNBF's so I can get in the RTV feeds. :D

Yeah you get the corotor II+ and that new dish, you will be rocking:D!!!!

This is a new, home made item.

Well, some enterprising individual, eh? :)

NOTE: The "vertical" output voltage (about 13V dc) from an FTA receiver may be too low for proper operation of some LNBs. In that case, a power inserter (not supplied) may be used between the receiver and the LNB to supply a higher voltage for proper LNB operation.

Always has been a shortcoming of this technique.

Besides: All the cool kids are using ortho feeds these days. ;)

If I allready had the Corotor and just needed polarity control, I would go for it. But why invest in old technology to start with?
As the Lizard said, "All the cool kids have ortho feeds". Cool must be another term for "well heeled" LOL

Well, some enterprising individual, eh? :)

Always has been a shortcoming of this technique.

Besides: All the cool kids are using ortho feeds these days. ;)

Very true, but for me I already have everything, but a way to pulse the polar rotor.

Wish I could get a ortho but not in the budget right now......after Christmas is over though, I will be looking.:)

...hrmmm.... Hey, I'm as cheap/poor as anybody here! - ;)
And yet I have .... two.

Stop looking at retail, and start shopping.
Nobody here paid $3000 for their BUD, did they? (in the last 10 years)

...hrmmm.... Hey, I'm as cheap/poor as anybody here! - ;)
And yet I have .... two.

Stop looking at retail, and start shopping.
Nobody here paid $3000 for their BUD, did they? (in the last 10 years)

Thats true!!:D Wasn't looking at retail though....just haven't came across one since I started looking cheap enough or Free;)

All my wires are underground and ground is starting to freeze already.

But I may bite on one anyways as it looks like I might have a good deal on a corotor II+ with LNB's. :) I am hoping that one of those would perform better then these C/KU LNBF's so I can get in the RTV feeds. :D

Guess it's wait 'til the thaw or wait for the new and improved WIFI version....lol

Meanwhile maybe we can get Anole to provide us all with streaming feeds off his Ortho setups.....Move over Hulu...hehehe
Scott, when you dig up the yard again it might be prudent to toss a couple of multi conductor cables and a few extra RG6 runs in the trench for future expansion at the dish site.
Tis better to have and not need than to need and not have.

guacharaca,
Nice and simple! ...and likely can be "automated" with just a few extra components. What freq/duty cycle span do you get with the listed R/C values?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)