Edision Os Mio 4K dropping horizontal polarity

Corrado

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2007
Hudson Valley Region, NY
In the last month, I started noticing rhythmic cycling of certain channels and it would come and go. Since Orby TV ended, I watch 98% OTA TV since most of the FTA channels I receive mirror that anyway. I first noticed normally strong TPs like 4040H on 99W just going from 17 db to 0 about once every second and the new Weigel TPs on 101W for example when it occurs. This is using different dishes, cables, switches etc. Verticals are fine. My first thought was some sort of TI or 5G but I think rather it's a failing or faulty component or circuit connection.

When this occurs in a repeatable time frame when I could test, I found the horizontal polarity voltage out is less than 2 volts unloaded and swings to 18.9V. Doesn't matter which slot or image. Tried swapping the 12V power supplies at the time, no change. Receiver not overheating and normally will occur right at startup but not consistent, sometimes will go days or weeks between events. I can immediately swap to Mio #2 and it operates fine using the same TNAP 4.0 image and all other hardware and swap back to the same issue with Mio #1 localizing the source to the box itself.

Disappointing that it's the best receiver I've ever owned and only just over 2 years old. I use it mainly for OTA recording with the Hauppauge USB tuner and will now dedicate it to that and use the second Mio for satellite. It's great how it records the program info making it easy to sort through the HDD when looking for what recording is what.

I repair TVs and may take a look inside for a cold solder joint or loose pin or board fitting, crack or similar defect. I'll post some photos if it comes to that.

Reactions: FTA4PA
In the last month, I started noticing rhythmic cycling of certain channels and it would come and go. Since Orby TV ended, I watch 98% OTA TV since most of the FTA channels I receive mirror that anyway. I first noticed normally strong TPs like 4040H on 99W just going from 17 db to 0 about once every second and the new Weigel TPs on 101W for example when it occurs. This is using different dishes, cables, switches etc. Verticals are fine. My first thought was some sort of TI or 5G but I think rather it's a failing or faulty component or circuit connection.

When this occurs in a repeatable time frame when I could test, I found the horizontal polarity voltage out is less than 2 volts unloaded and swings to 18.9V. Doesn't matter which slot or image. Tried swapping the 12V power supplies at the time, no change. Receiver not overheating and normally will occur right at startup but not consistent, sometimes will go days or weeks between events. I can immediately swap to Mio #2 and it operates fine using the same TNAP 4.0 image and all other hardware and swap back to the same issue with Mio #1 localizing the source to the box itself.

Disappointing that it's the best receiver I've ever owned and only just over 2 years old. I use it mainly for OTA recording with the Hauppauge USB tuner and will now dedicate it to that and use the second Mio for satellite. It's great how it records the program info making it easy to sort through the HDD when looking for what recording is what.

I repair TVs and may take a look inside for a cold solder joint or loose pin or board fitting, crack or similar defect. I'll post some photos if it comes to that.
Hope you can solve the problem. Never know when this might happen to others so looking forward to your update. :)

Swap receivers positions. Take the "bad" receiver, and install it where the "good" one is right now. Then take that "good" one, and put it where the "bad" one was installed. Do NOT move any cables between them, use the exact same cables, power supply, whatever that are now in each position. Only swap the receivers themselves.

See if the problem "travels" with the "bad" receiver...

Reactions: norman881
Yesterday I had a similar problem. No horizontal transponders on any satellite on the c band dish. It was fine on my ku dish. So I checked to see if I had the same problem on the tv with a Amiko. As soon as the Amiko powered up on the same channel as on the Mio that channel then came in on the Mio. So I changed the cables around on the dual output lnb. No change. In my setup I run everything through a Zinwell 4x4 so that's what I checked next. Well I took the Zinwell out of it's plastic box I keep it in and the switch is pretty hot. It was over 100 degrees out and the box was in the sun. I then got a rag soaked in cold water and cooled it down. The problem with the horizontal switching went away. Has not returned as of yet. Fingers crossed. Not sure if this will help in anyway but you never know.
In the Mio's tuner setup there is a option to increase voltage. I have mine turned off. I'm not sure if this would have helped my problem or yours. If I have the problem again I might try that.
Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts