TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
Consider this scenario:

I have a remote unattended computer that is on a UPS that can run computer for 30 minutes. But a power failure lasts for 4-8 hours so the UPS dies. The power finally comes back on. Unfortunately, the switch on the computer requires a manual push of the power button to start it back up again. Is there a simple way to make the computer power up on it's own without resorting to a power supply switch jumper wire? I've used this jumper wire trick in past but thought there may be a another way to avoid that.

In the power options you can select restart after power failure. Now if you can tell the UPS not to power off the computer, just let it die. Or remove the UPS all together. Probably just disconnecting the USB cable to the UPS might do that.

I did not have the option restart after power failure but that would be ideal. Maybe I looked in wrong place. I saw power button options. Here I have 1. Do Nothing 2. Sleep 3. Hybernate 4. Power on.
I am going to test "Do Nothing" and see if the computer can be started by applying power to the power supply. Hopefully that will work.

Other info: I don't use USB on UPS or it's software. Just simple UPS install. I knew that option is bad for most of my needs.

Thanks for the suggestion

If you have an older computer that doesnt have this option in the BIOS, you can run a script from another computer to trigger the Wake-on-LAN option.

StevenD So what turns that computer on? :D

At some point in time, one just needs to do the bite the bullet and get a newer computer. It's what I did last year. I was hoping to have this option because the old computer I did use the jumper across the switch idea.

Nice resource! For a not so commercial device you can get an X-10 module that does the same thing with either telephone land line or internet. I used to use one of these for landline activation about 10 years ago. The key to my problem was the solution to get the BIOS set properly.

Don Landis said:
Thanks! Found it hidden in the BIOS advanced options. I'm good to go now.

The reason why it is set to off by default, is that if you are not on UPS and the power fails one hundred times within one minute, you don't want the computer to crash one hundred times. With UPS this is not an issue, as there is usually a delay before the power is turned on for your computer. Some UPS units even allow you to adjust that delay, or require certain charge level to be reached before the computer is powered up.

Sent from my iPad 3 using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)