Autopay update complaint

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
So my CC expiration date is next month and I just received the new CC in the mail. I now go about updating all the auto pay accounts with no problems. Except Dishnetwork.

I go online to make the update and I have to enter all the new CC info again which is the same except the exp. date. Then I exit and return to the site to be sure it took and it comes back with the same old information. So I try again and this time I select pay my bill, which I already did pay Friday. Then it thanks me for my payment and I just got charged for September's payment.

This happened last Spring when my CC# was stolen and they sent me a new card. When the next month payment came due I was charged again at the normal autopay date. I finally had to call Dish CSR to get the credit issued and then that allowed my account to skip a month but then I was pulled off auto pay so when the following month rolled around, thinking my auto pay was in effect, I was late.

Of course, now that I am aware of Dish's incompetent system I will stay on top of it but I sure wish they would just fix their system. Nobody else that I deal with has this problem.

Now I also have accounts with Blockbuster (owned by Dishnetwork) and they also have a similar problem, but the store manager there is aware of it and to get around the mess, she has me come in and do the update on the exact day that my account is billed out. Maybe that is what I should have done with DishNetwork account.

This is one of the main reasons why I refuse to do autopay with Dish. Their sytem IMHO goes back to the dinosoaur age when it comes to issues such as this and they also claim they cannot change your payment due date.

For example if your account was set up for Free HD for Life to avoid paying a $10 monthly fee, I would recommend you go into your account and manually pay your bill on the date you choose on or before your monthly due date, or set your account up through online bill pay through your bank to debit from your checking account or savings account. Keep in mind if you do this and you have gotten the perk I mentioned above you will lose that perk.

Just a thought.

Tom K3TG

I can provide more information on this, Don. It sounds like our system had generated your next months statement which wasn't due at the time after your previous payment. Our system can take up to 7 days to fully update the autopay on an account, and requires the account to be at a 0 balance to update. Because of this, if your payment is coming due within those 7 days, and a payment is made, a double charge is very possible. How the store manager at the Blockbuster does it is a good way since it ensures the card has time to update without causing a second payment to clear.

If you want me to check the account out and ensure autopay is setup and any other payment details, send me a PM.

Tommy, thanks for your response to the OP.

That said, what the hell kind of computer and software is Dish using to have that horrible accounting methodology done? Updating any information on an account with a computer, even one very damned old and slow, doesn't take 7 days UNLESS the company has programmed it to do that. Nor is there any valid reason that an account has to have a zero balance to switch the card. The only thing that makes that happen is incompetence in the backroom!
?
EDIT: Tommy, don't take that personally, I know you have no control over the system.

Now I'll let the back room guys go back to their Abacus's! :)

it has always been this way when you update your CC info-> they take the next months payment (at least on pay in advance accounts). it is a good idea to update the info a day or so beforehand.

i.e. recently changed the CC used on the account, and updated the info 5 days before the due date. they immediately charged the next month on the new card and that day became the new due date (10th vs. 15th). who knows where the money went for those 5 days that were already paid for.

dish has always been known for their fuzzy math.

They've had a system update. Dish can now issue receipts.

abacus improved.jpg

This is one of the main reasons why I refuse to do autopay with Dish. Their sytem IMHO goes back to the dinosoaur age when it comes to issues such as this and they also claim they cannot change your payment due date.

For example if your account was set up for Free HD for Life to avoid paying a $10 monthly fee, I would recommend you go into your account and manually pay your bill on the date you choose on or before your monthly due date, or set your account up through online bill pay through your bank to debit from your checking account or savings account. Keep in mind if you do this and you have gotten the perk I mentioned above you will lose that perk.

Just a thought.

Tom K3TG

I think that Dish may have done something to fix this. My card on file for autopay was upgraded and the expiration date was changed. I forgot to update the info on Dish's site and I got an e-mail stating that they couldn't charge the card on the payment date. I went online the next day, made a payment, and updated the card. I did not lose the $10.00 HD credit.

Thanks Tommy for the offer. I don't mind as long as Dish abacus accounting system doesn't "conveniently" forget I'm now paid up until October 12. I don't plan on going anywhere. But I'll be on the phone quickly if Dish charges my card again in September since I just made the double payment this month.

You're welcome. If two payments were made and cleared, then it just applies the extra amount as a credit that your next months bill will deduct from. If you do for some reason get charged again, and you don't feel like calling in, let me know. I'll get it taken care of.

I think that Dish may have done something to fix this. My card on file for autopay was upgraded and the expiration date was changed. I forgot to update the info on Dish's site and I got an e-mail stating that they couldn't charge the card on the payment date. I went online the next day, made a payment, and updated the card. I did not lose the $10.00 HD credit.

It doesn't sound like you did anything different since you owed them, and made the update to CC along with a payment you owed. What I understand from Tommy is that since I already paid my bill under the old card with autopay a few days ago, in order to update the card, it forced me to pay the September bill a month early ( less a couple days). Normally, the CC updater software should not require an additional payment. It should allow me to simply confirm the update and exit. Just like all the other CC accounts do!

For what it's worth, I updated a dozen autopays today and DishNetwork was the only one to do this.

Hopefully I won't have an issue with Blockbuster. The older store manager quit last month and I did it today through a store clerk who has been there for several years. he promised it would just update the exp date and would not charge the card for September or change the August due date ( the 27th to today ) . We'll see.

You're welcome. If two payments were made and cleared, then it just applies the extra amount as a credit that your next months bill will deduct from. If you do for some reason get charged again, and you don't feel like calling in, let me know. I'll get it taken care of.

Thanks, DIRT rules! :)

When I went to update my credit card payment was due to complete the update. No problem except next month I get an email that my payment was over due. I was kicked out of auto pay.
I will have to check if I still have free hd.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I had the same problem last week. The credit card info appears in two places. New credit card info entered under "My Billing, Payment Form, Card" reverts back to the old info when checked again. When the change is made under "My Billing, Billing Preference, Edit, Payment Form, Card" the new info is retained in that place but the old info remains in the first place. Which card number is used for the next autopay cycle remains to be seen.

I had the same problem last week. The credit card info appears in two places. New credit card info entered under "My Billing, Payment Form, Card" reverts back to the old info when checked again. When the change is made under "My Billing, Billing Preference, Edit, Payment Form, Card" the new info is retained in that place but the old info remains in the first place. Which card number is used for the next autopay cycle remains to be seen.

It should have updated online by now. Send me a PM with the account or phone # and I can verify which card is showing on our side to let you know which one will be used. I can also update it if needed.

Thanks Tommy for the offer. I don't mind as long as Dish abacus accounting system doesn't "conveniently" forget I'm now paid up until October 12. I don't plan on going anywhere. But I'll be on the phone quickly if Dish charges my card again in September since I just made the double payment this month.

Same thing happened to me. Ended up paying twice and had a negative balance that covered the following month.

Was not a problem for me but for someone on a tight budget, it would be a big deal.

I find it hard to understand how such an archaic billing paying procedure can exist when 1 second after you swipe a card in a reader, you can go online to your card account and see that payment has been authorized.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using SatelliteGuys

After reading all this, seems it would be best when the time comes to update my card, to contact Dirt. So grateful we have these guys around here.

Actually, this comes up from time to time over many years. The best thing to do is to change the card info and pay the next month's bill a few days in advance of its due date..... I've done this, without issue, several times....

Hard to do when your card has been compromised & cancelled and the due notice appears before the new card. Happened to me. A bit of an annoyance to get straightened out, and a wait for the system to correctly show autopay active on new card, but not too troublesome considering how rarely such an event occurs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)