Autopay update complaint

When my SW credit card got hacked in May, I temporally switch credit cards till I received the new SW card. I did have to pay off balances when I switched cards each time.

Just to add on this and Dish with fuzzy math- last friday we upgraded to AT200 and added the multi-sport pack. Yesterday, we contacted a dirt member to see about getting the 50% multi-sport promotion and we were able to get it! Today, this is what the bill looks like (what do you see wrong???):

Prorated Charges
Aug 16 - Sep 04 America's Top 200 $41.91
Added on 08/16, 20 days @ $2.0955
Aug 16 - Sep 04 Multi-sport w/Redzone $7.09
Added on 08/16, 20 days @ $0.3545
Aug 20 - Sep 04 Multi-sport - 6 MO (50% Off) $2.83
Added on 08/20, 16 days @ $0.1768
$51.83

Prorated Credits
Aug 16 - Sep 04 America's Top 120 $-32.23
Removed on 08/16, 20 days @ $1.6115
Aug 20 - Sep 04 Multi-sport w/Redzone $-5.67
Removed on 08/20, 16 days @ $0.3543
-$37.90

One-Time Charges
Aug 20 Programming Change $5.00
$5.00

Now this thread makes some sense. I had an autopay bounce back because my Visa expiration date was extended. I went online the same day, updated the card information, and made a payment. I thought things were done, and then I saw this thread.

I found out, thanks to posters here, that:
1. Even though the expiration date in the My Billing page was updated it really wasn't.
2. Even though I made a payment the same day it was due to be autopaid I had to make an extra payment to satisfy the system, but that it should not take a payment again the next time autopay is due.

It took about 7 PMs with Tommy to get this straightened out. Hopefully everything is OK now.

I now agree that this is a stupid and archaic system.

It looks like their system is worried that you'll screw up the card info when you update. So it charges you to make sure it's a legitimate card.

Pretty screwy, especially if you're only changing the expiration date.

It doesn't sound like you did anything different since you owed them, and made the update to CC along with a payment you owed. What I understand from Tommy is that since I already paid my bill under the old card with autopay a few days ago, in order to update the card, it forced me to pay the September bill a month early ( less a couple days). Normally, the CC updater software should not require an additional payment. It should allow me to simply confirm the update and exit. Just like all the other CC accounts do!

For what it's worth, I updated a dozen autopays today and DishNetwork was the only one to do this.

Hopefully I won't have an issue with Blockbuster. The older store manager quit last month and I did it today through a store clerk who has been there for several years. he promised it would just update the exp date and would not charge the card for September or change the August due date ( the 27th to today ) . We'll see.

Same for me. I have lots of things on autopay and never have problems like this. I just change the expiry date and I'm done.

Just to add on this and Dish with fuzzy math- last friday we upgraded to AT200 and added the multi-sport pack. Yesterday, we contacted a dirt member to see about getting the 50% multi-sport promotion and we were able to get it! Today, this is what the bill looks like (what do you see wrong???):

Prorated Charges
Aug 16 - Sep 04 America's Top 200 $41.91
Added on 08/16, 20 days @ $2.0955
Aug 16 - Sep 04 Multi-sport w/Redzone $7.09
Added on 08/16, 20 days @ $0.3545
Aug 20 - Sep 04 Multi-sport - 6 MO (50% Off) $2.83
Added on 08/20, 16 days @ $0.1768
$51.83

Prorated Credits
Aug 16 - Sep 04 America's Top 120 $-32.23
Removed on 08/16, 20 days @ $1.6115
Aug 20 - Sep 04 Multi-sport w/Redzone $-5.67
Removed on 08/20, 16 days @ $0.3543
-$37.90

One-Time Charges
Aug 20 Programming Change $5.00
$5.00
Aside from having two programming changes in less than 30 days generate a $5.00 change fee? Technically you didn't change your programming level on the 20th, just how much you're paying for it. I'd fight that $5 charge.

The rest makes sense to me, based on the nature of future billing. You should have seen my comca$t bill after I changed my internet service level and dropped my modem rental. It took two months for the bill to level off. It's just the nature of billing in advance and then changing service in real time. If there was a way to say "make these changes effective the start of my next billing cycle", then the billing wouldn't have all these prorated charges and credits.

Last edited:
Aside from having two programming changes in less than 30 days generate a $5.00 change fee? Technically you didn't change your programming level on the 20th, just how much you're paying for it. I'd fight that $5 charge.

agreed. it is just funny they had to charge the prorated fee for both. didn't know you could add a package 2x on your account, lmfao....

?

Just when I thought this problem was over...

For the past two days now I got calls from Dish Network telling me they can't charge to my credit card under Auto Pay because the card is expired. I check each time and the card listed in my account info is the new one. The caller threatens to shut off my service if I don't update the card information. Plus they did charge my account for the September payment in advance.

I'm telling you all this Dish Network auto pay software is broken and they need to fix it. Not one of my other auto pay accounts has this trouble.

Did the caller expect you to give your credit card number to them over the phone? Chutzpah.

Now this thread makes some sense. I had an autopay bounce back because my Visa expiration date was extended. I went online the same day, updated the card information, and made a payment. I thought things were done, and then I saw this thread.

I found out, thanks to posters here, that:
1. Even though the expiration date in the My Billing page was updated it really wasn't.
2. Even though I made a payment the same day it was due to be autopaid I had to make an extra payment to satisfy the system, but that it should not take a payment again the next time autopay is due.

It took about 7 PMs with Tommy to get this straightened out. Hopefully everything is OK now.

I now agree that this is a stupid and archaic system.

As a follow on to this I did get email from Dish saying they took the extra payment. They not only took that payment but also charged a $1.00 payment, probably to verify the card info. I'm not going to forget that buck.:D

I've seen the $1 card verification on a multitude of companies. I've yet to see any one of them, including Dish, ever actually make the $1 charge to the card.

I came up on my billing date and I started getting phone calls that my CC was again out of date. So I go online and check and sure enough, since last I updated, someone went in and put the old CC info back in which is a bogus card # from last winter. So I changed it wondering if I would get charged another month. But it only added that $1.00 charge. I should have enough credits now to cover me until October 8 and then a dollar on November bill. I also got another e-mail verifying the CC change. Let's see how long it sticks this time. I put a reminder on my calendar to check on it October 8 again.

This is one of the main reasons why I refuse to do autopay with Dish. Their sytem IMHO goes back to the dinosoaur age when it comes to issues such as this and they also claim they cannot change your payment due date.

For example if your account was set up for Free HD for Life to avoid paying a $10 monthly fee, I would recommend you go into your account and manually pay your bill on the date you choose on or before your monthly due date, or set your account up through online bill pay through your bank to debit from your checking account or savings account. Keep in mind if you do this and you have gotten the perk I mentioned above you will lose that perk.

Just a thought.

Tom K3TG
Yes Dish will not change your bill's due date,its the reason I will never autopay with Dish. That means no goodies/freebies/specials for me. After my stroke I explained to all my creditors that I will pay bills online or autopay on the 4th Wednesday of the month when I get my check. EVERYBODY but Dish agreed to those terms.

As for changing CC cards,its a pain with some companies and so simple with others to change CC info. With Sony(SOE) I had to let the account lapse and restart the account(their instructions,not making this up).

Last edited:
I think there must be some computer glitch. The card I was using got hijacked at the end of May. I changed the billing to another card. Once the points card got replaced, I changed it again. Somehow, it reverted to the hijacked card and auto pay was denied and stopped. I went online and changed it to the new card and made a payment.
DIRT gad given me a $10/mo credit for 6 months and the bill reflected that. But the charges immediately went back to the non credit level. I've contacted the DIRT member who arranged for the credit and am waiting to see what happens.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts