Autoplay - how to turn it off?

riderj

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 21, 2007
Branson
Apparently Autoplay has been around for a while, but I only became aware of it after a recent upgrade.
It annoys me.
Now it is coming up at the end of every show.
How can I turn it off permanently?

Reactions: TheKrell
I would prefer that if a person wanted to watch the next show, then THEY would have to take the action, rather than if I don't want to watch it, I am forced to take the action. I can confidently say that I will never want the receiver to start the next show for me. I called CS and registered my preference. Lots of features have an on-off switch of sorts - I am asking for one here.

I’ve never had an issue with this feature until yesterday. It kept popping up to play the next episode during each commercial break of the current episode I was watching.

It was a DVR recording of the first episode of the new season of The Challenge on MTV.

It was extremely annoying because a couple of times I didn’t catch it and it stopped my current episode and started the next one.

There is not an option to disable this feature. Do you have any feedback around why you find this feature annoying?
There should be an option to turn this off. Not everyone is constantly staring at the TV...distractions can cause some to miss the message. I am requesting that this be an option that can be turned off for those who don't want it.

My "autoplay" shows 45 second countdown. I use remote right arrow to cancel but I can't click select because it immediately goes back to next episode and I can keep trying to use right arrow to cancel but I can't select. it is sooo annoying We miss the conclusion of the show and even adjusting the recording # start & end minutes has been no help. Almost enough to cancel dish!

For those of us that need a little more context; by “autoplay“, I assume this referred to streaming episodes, correct?
No, if you have multiple episodes of a program recorded, it will automatically start the next one after the first one has ended unless you intervene. I'm not sure if streaming episodes are include but I think not.

Last edited:
Reminds me of several years ago when the timer recording preference was changed from “once” to automatically either “all” or “new”; mostly “all”. This lead to accidental filling up your disk with old stuff when all you wanted was that one episode because you didn’t notice the change. Now you have to constantly change it to “once” since that’s the most common desire. Vary inconvenient. Everyone lobbied hard for a preference to set what the default would be; never happened.

Reactions: charlesrshell
There is not an option to disable this feature. Do you have any feedback around why you find this feature annoying?
A little late for the feedback but here goes.

Yes, I personally find autoplay very annoying in any UI, browser, phone app, PC app, anywhere. It constantly forces me to take extra action for something I don’t want. Almost all UIs have a preference to enable/disable this kind of behavior. While some people like it, a lot of people hate it and find it very user hostile.

It would seem to be a simple matter to provide a preference to enable/disable autoplay to satisfy both camps instead catering to one camp and pissing off the other.

This is very annoying and needs a way to turn off this feature. For some reason this comes up sometimes in the middle of a program and if I am not looking at the screen it starts playing another show. Then when I figure out it happened, the original show can not be resumed, it has to be started over and forwarded to the point you were at. Very useless and problematic feature.

I wonder if this feature comes from the TV enhancement button under the Notification settings? Maybe try to turn it off and see if that makes it go away. It says under the button that "Enhances your TV experience with Recommended actions. Turn this setting on to see notifications that recommend actions based on what your are watching. " My friend has his Hopper 3 and that feature is turned off and he hasn't griped about this happening. :smug

Reactions: charlesrshell
I wonder if this feature comes from the TV enhancement button under the Notification settings? Maybe try to turn it off and see if that makes it go away. It says under the button that "Enhances your TV experience with Recommended actions. Turn this setting on to see notifications that recommend actions based on what your are watching. " My friend has his Hopper 3 and that feature is turned off and he hasn't griped about this happening. :smug
I don't think so. I have that feature and Autoplay still works even though TV Enhancement is turned off. I used it to binge watch East New York.