Tomboy257

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
Here & Now
Avatar is on HBO tonight. Will the HD version be any better than the wide-screen DVD that came out not long ago. Not the Blu-ray version but the regular.:confused:

The 2D initial release of Avatar on Blue ray plays back at no longer that 25Mbps and often is around 35Mbps. That is higher than 50% of the total bit rate that a single transponder can handle. thus it is very unlikely Dish will be able to provide Blu-ray level video performance on HBO which I assume has a few other channels on it's transponder as well.

The 2D initial release of Avatar on Blue ray plays back at no longer that 25Mbps and often is around 35Mbps. That is higher than 50% of the total bit rate that a single transponder can handle. thus it is very unlikely Dish will be able to provide Blu-ray level video performance on HBO which I assume has a few other channels on it's transponder as well.

I wonder how an MPEG 4 version of it compares to this? The version I dwld from on line is close to 8 mbits rate. I'm recording the HBO version tonite & once I get the HDMI line hooked up to my 1080p panny plasma I was planning on doing a visual comparison.

The Blu-Ray is MPEG4.

Well I will really have something to compare now I'm getting the close to 45.5 Gb version. BTW that is what the Blu-Ray of it is. If things go well this coming week I'll be able to finish putting in my home theater system. Now that I'm almost through w/ this duplex remodel.

I compared the HBO version to my BluRay version and while the BluRay was certainly better, it wasn't as big a difference as I had actually expected. I did notice that the Dolby 5.1 soundtrack wasn't nearly as good as the high bitrate audio from the BluRay version though.

Overall it was fine, imo.

OMG it's going to take almost a week to dwnld this thing for a site that I sub too. Almost 50 gigs just doesn't come that fast. Maybe longer as the dwld rate varies.

Some might not agree. That's why they make so many different movies! :)

Personally my son and I thoroughly enjoyed it the many times we've watched it.

:up:up:up:up (gotta love Avatar!) And yes, while it isn't BluRay nor 3D, it is still an outstanding visual and thought provoking experience (IMHO)..

Personally my son and I thoroughly enjoyed it the many times we've watched it.
I fell asleep watching it... The parts I do remember, the effects, were absolutely stunning. So of course to see it in the best possible setup, BD is a must.

I have to admit, I always had the story about the "message" the director built into the movie in the back of my mind.

I fell asleep watching it... The parts I do remember, the effects, were absolutely stunning. So of course to see it in the best possible setup, BD is a must.

I have to admit, I always had the story about the "message" the director built into the movie in the back of my mind.

I watch movies to enjoy them. If the director is trying to send a 'message' it either gets lost on me, or I don't care. It is all about entertainment! I saw a number of reviews that said it was just a western in a foreign planet, I agree, that's what it was. I love westerns!! :)

I can get all the 'messages' and other such crap from other places quite easily.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts